Going Bush and will see what happens.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngerManagement

Repairs + X-pointers
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Mum passed almost 12 months ago and my Dad's little dog just had to be put down...

So with the Tvan almost set up and the Hilux due for a big service.... In about 2 weeks and I am taking him back out bush to see the changes from the 40's.. Lived off the land and big cattle stations in WA and the NT and took cattle from NSW to Darwin (over land during WW2) and worked in some of the mines and on the Eldorado Stamper in TC, when he was about 14.

So going west to NNSW and then maybe Birdsvile and then north via a few places and stations that he can recall and through to TC. How many we can get access to, will be a matter of an adventure :) From there back to Charters Towers and then back through the middle of Qld to Brisbane.

Problem is that any number of the old timers have passed on and the places have been sold to bigger concerns. And then any number of the local indigenous people he knew and worked and lived with, have long passed. But with some still retaining their oral history, he may yet be able to chat with some of the older ones about times passed.

His pigeon will be outdated and we will not be in the locations where he is more fluent in some local dialects...

I wanted to take a Rod or 2 and he just laughed and said - Hand line :)

Will be taking at least 2 detectors to pass some time away.

The biggest concern; is if we can stand each other, long enough to get back in one piece...

Did a short 4000Klms and 48C by the time we hit Winton and Dad was not doing so well... So off to CT to see his only surviving sibling...

Over all it was a WIN for him and myself... But lots of sad times as he recalled many mates that are no longer around and my Mum as he did Lighting Ridge to Tennent Creek with her and me in nappies. 3 days straight in an old Auston and all dirt roads and bush. Today it is all sealed and not a tree to be seen...

Did some fishing and a spot of dirt fishing. Got some good sized fish (gave them to a couple of locals) and a 1.2kva Generator / Inverter - Surface find. 20ft from the road and on its side. Some one got pissed off and tried to fix and made it worse. 30min once we got home and I had it running like a charm.

My Uncle worked on many properties as a Stockman and as a Dozer Driver etc. And then he tells me he still keeps in contact with a number of Property owners... And then I find out they all allow paying prospectors on etc...

So I am going back when it is cooler and looks like we will have some access to some places that may not have been thrashed - one can only hope.

168 pics but just 4 as a taste.

1510226831_2017-10-27_18.08.49_medium.jpg

1510226831_2017-10-29_16.54.39_medium.jpg

1510226831_2017-10-30_11.56.41_medium.jpg

1510226831_2017-10-31_15.52.31_medium.jpg

Livin it mate ! :Y:
Good on you both ! :p
your lookin healthy (ya shoulda put a photo of your Dad on too) :D

Latest posts