The Whites GMT and it's Coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read A lot of posts where people Claim that the Gold Bug II is More sensitive than the GMT Which it was Up Until the Latest Software Up date, But JP On Another forum pointed Out that The GB II Uses A Concentric, So That Got me thinking Again and After Watching many Video's on YT I noticed A lot of Guys were still Using the Goldmaster IIs and the Goldmaster VSAT and then The GM III and The G4b, All These Machines Came out with Concentric Coil and The DDs came out about 6 months after the Release of the G4b and it was an Optional Coil and it Became Standard On The GMT Goldmaster, Many people prefer the Older machine and said that they could pick up really Fine Gold, Well the Reason for that is these older Concentric Coils,

Well I know Concentrics Are deeper and Way more Sensitive than DD's, and that the So Called King Of The Specks The Gold Bug II Comes Only with A Concentric So I decided to Buy An Older Goldmaster II Coil Like This pictured Below. What I found was FOUR Things, ONE, They have the sensitivity of the Little Shooter Coil OR Better and TWO I could Cover more Ground Than the Shooter Coil, and THREE I could Have the Sensitivity and Depth But what Impressed me the Most Is we all know that DD's handle Bad ground Better, WELL I ground Balanced the GMT with the DD and Got Readings From 79 to 81, So I switched Coils Putting on the Longscan and found the Ground Balanced had Dropped to 64, Not that is Equal to going from Hot Ground to Normal to Moderately High Ground So that's got to be A Good thing To,

Please Note that these Coils Are Called White Goldmaster II LONGSCAN which Refers to the Shape of the Coil Not the Configuration of the Coil and Any of these Coils Are Concentrics, And ALL GM II, VSAT GM 3 and Some of the G4b Coils Are Concentric and Are the Same As Mine, OK
1437392544_gm_ii_coil.jpg

Now I have A test piece that Weighs less than 0.002 grams and My GMT Can Pick it up at Just Over An Inch But This Coil Will Pick it Up Between 2 to 3 Inches, With the Extra Power the GMT has and this Longscan Coil Combo The GMT is Almost as Hot As The Falcon MD 20 Pin Point probe,

Another thing to NOTE is there is Also a White Coloured 8x14 Concentric Coil for the GMT's and the BLACK 8 x 14 Is A DD,

See here on Steves Site, http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...ent/whites-electronics-gmt-metal-detector.htm

Good Luck John

Yes' still interesting, I did love the GMT probably my favorite gold detector out of all the thousands of dollars iv spent in the last 3 or 4 years looking for that one machine that I'd be happy with'
Yeah one day, well the wife's not easily convinced of that.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Yes' still interesting, I did love the GMT probably my favorite gold detector out of all the thousands of dollars iv spent in the last 3 or 4 years looking for that one machine that I'd be happy with'
Yeah one day, well the wife's not easily convinced of that.

Well I was shocked to see how much Difference that coil Made, I managed to find It and it was brand new made in 1995 and Never Been Used, so it must of sat on a Shelf in A Shop Somewhere, But if you can find an old GM machine On Ebay or just the Coil it is well worth Getting, because it is the Biggest Transformation I have seen by just swapping Coils, Truly Impressive,

John

Hi All

Just wondering if this coil pictured above will also be more sensitive on the MXT All Pro?

Cheers

I won't be leaping out so soon for another GMT especially running a concentric on it with all the hot ground and hot rocks about, bad enough with the DD.
For me to get another GMT there has goto be a pretty big improvement on the old design as I'd fear the same things I hated about the current one would still pi$$ me off, hence why I don't have one at the moment.

OK John, as usual your analysis is brilliant, but my poor old brain started struggling a bit at the end there with the coil talk. My question is, which coil then, is the best "working" coil to buy for the GMT...Concentric or DD?

SunriseBoy said:
OK John, as usual your analysis is brilliant, but my poor old brain started struggling a bit at the end there with the coil talk. My question is, which coil then, is the best "working" coil to buy for the GMT...Concentric or DD?

G'day Mate,

Well Due to the Hot Nature of Aussie Ground I would Say A DD, BUT Because How I saw this Coil Lower the Ground Balance setting by about 20% or more I am inclined to Believe That This Coil has something Special Going On, So I am not going to say a DD is better so the Only thing for me to do is try it and if it meesses around change to a DD, But Because of the Extra Depth that A Concentric gives you and the fact it can see much smaller Gold I would Always Have to my do Upmost to Try and use the Concentric (Longscan), Because when you Consider that it has A Massive 200% Increase in depth On Tiny Gold It would not be wise to ignore such Figures, when the DD = 1 inch and the Longscan = 3 inches,

Now if the Longscan Looses 50% of that depth Due to Mineralization it is Still going to be Deeper than the DD,

Hope this Helps,, John

1437401688_gopr0719.jpg

I have a 5.3 Concentric that is really good for the MXT, probably better than the DD, but the ground has to be quiet.
I bought it for gold, but sadly, cant use it over here. Ground too hot.
But boy dose it love finding old copper coins, and threepence's.

I found this 2 weeks ago here in some really, really bad ground where there was shallow gold about, with metal rubbish everywhere.
Ridge Runner will confirm.

Gold Diver said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3502/1437401688_gopr0719.jpg

I have a 5.3 Concentric that is really good for the MXT, probably better than the DD, but the ground has to be quiet.
I bought it for gold, but sadly, cant use it over here. Ground too hot.
But boy dose it love finding old copper coins, and threepence's.

I found this 2 weeks ago here in some really, really bad ground where there was shallow gold about, with metal rubbish everywhere.
Ridge Runner will confirm.

YEP THOSE are the Little Beauties I Saw, Found In Dirt as Red as A Baboons Southern Quarters, that was about as Bad as Ground Gets,

Now A few of them would make my day About Now, Thanks for Posting them, It's Great seeing them Again, cool.

John

John....all stock coils from the GM3 (my fav) onwards were DD coils. (4b was a dog of a unit, bad correlation going on there) GMT easily the best whites gold unit across the board.

But you are spot on re the concentric long scans on the GM11's and VSat's, big difference on both sensitivity and depth, and when placed on later machines.

Hi. All. Luke! Good to have you back. I just got a GMT. Swapped my SPP for it. I can already see its a bit of a learning curve with this noisy little machine. But it does show promise. There is quite a bit of tweaking that can be done and in spite of the noise I suspect good results can be got. It certainly is sensitive. The gm coil sounds interesting too. Pretty hard to find one though I guess. I've even tried the machine with no threshold and boost on. Quite good even when set that way.

Argyle 1 said:
John....all stock coils from the GM3 (my fav) onwards were DD coils. (4b was a dog of a unit, bad correlation going on there) GMT easily the best whites gold unit across the board.

But you are spot on re the concentric long scans on the GM11's and VSat's, big difference on both sensitivity and depth, and when placed on later machines.

Well like I said after reading JP's post about the GB II, I got to thinking what if I added concentric to the GMT So I did and it worked, and I like the fact that it lowered the GB setting which means it will work in hotter Ground.

john

ronniecruisin said:
Hi. All. Luke! Good to have you back. I just got a GMT. Swapped my SPP for it. I can already see its a bit of a learning curve with this noisy little machine. But it does show promise. There is quite a bit of tweaking that can be done and in spite of the noise I suspect good results can be got. It certainly is sensitive. The gm coil sounds interesting too. Pretty hard to find one though I guess. I've even tried the machine with no threshold and boost on. Quite good even when set that way.

Ronnie, I have done a lot of testing on that coil/GMT set up and it is Good,

John

Yes. It sounds like a great thing John. Getting hold of one might be a bit of a trial though methinks! Regards... Ronnie.

I see what you mean John. Bit of a no brainer hey? Have to try to get one some how. What a pity whites isn't being a bit more cooperative with their many long term customers. In the wake of all these newcomers in the detecting industry, some of whom are presenting outstanding support for their customers, it really begs to wonder why they are not bending over backwards to ensure their survival in the business they were instrumental in creating in the first place. The customer should always come first. Without em there ain't no business, and others will quickly fill the gap. Personally I've been both a fan and good customer for Whites products for many years. I would still like to be. I believe in looking after a company that looks after me. Thank you for all your excellent input John. I'm sure many others here would say the same... Regards... Ronnie.

I just bought the long scan for my arsenal off ebay for 45.00 us. I found a lot of small gold so far with the micro tiure 140mm coil here in Alaska

Latest posts