Bought my machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Well, during the week I bought my first ever proper detector. I ended up choosing the Ace 300i. Given I have nothing to compare it to, I'm so far very happy at how easy it is to use, even the kids have been able to have a crack.
We have been camping this weekend and whilst only clocking up an hour or two on the ace, we managed to find a dollar coin, a ring (cheap polished steel, nothing fancy) a heap of junk, all of which we disposed of and the find that stood out to me was this shell casing (hopefully picture works). This was found at a beach. I'm assuming by the stamp it was produced in 1942? Does anyone have any info on the other markings, or how I can clean it up? I know it's not worth anything, but a pretty cool find.

Thanks. Greasy.

1509881485_img_7941.jpg

Thanks heaps for the reply 7.62marksman.

I'm still away, so limited web access. I had a quick look at the link, but can't seem to see the relevant markings listed as per this shell. I'll look tomorrow when I get back. Thanks again. :)

Thanks mate. I know its a common piece, but to find it first hunt, with the kids, and to know it's aged 75 years, it's pretty cool to me. Cheers.

Can you make out the other part on the base of the shell? The bit between the date and VII, does it look like M ???

I thought it may have been MQ or MG, it that that case then it is ....

MQ = Small Arms Ammunition Factory No 5, Rocklea, Australia....303 BCMK7 .... Ball, Cordite Mk7

MG = Small Arms Ammunition Factory No 2, Footscray, Melbourne, Australia. 1940 - 1949. Known to have manufactured .303 cartridges in... Ball, Cordite Mk 7 and Incendiary B Mk 7

If anyone is interested, I have a can of original vintage cordite propellant and I could post a pic of it

WoW that is some intense information,,

I helped with a ww1 display at our local museum for the centenary, had some shells to research and it was mostly pot luck finding info at the time.. Wish I had known you blokes then,, I found 1000 men from our shire who were recorded on the military files at the national archives

ray

Good on ya Greasy, on the moolah straight up too !
:Y: O:) :Y:

Latest posts