Help needed on fossicking for sapphires in Inverell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just after a bit of help/information on fossicking for sapphires in Frazer creek at Inverell. I was down there at billabong blue a month ago to scope the place out for camping and have a quick dig but only found small zircons but I didn't dig for to long so that's ok. The fella down there was telling me I need a get a pump so I can pump the water out of the small rock pools beside the creek and then to use a crow bar to move the larger rocks to get to the sapphire bearing wash below.

Can anyone give me some tips or information on the best way to fossick at Inverell? Also what special equipment would I need to take? I will be going to billabong blue to camp for a few days soon and I just want to ensure I've got all the stuff I need before I head down there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers Michael

To start with there is most likely no way that Bill (owner of Billabong Blue) will let you use a pump, I'd call fist and ask someone before taking a pump there.

All you need is a good pick, crowbar, round mouth shovel, buckets and a couple of sieves !/4 inch and 1/8 inch.

You can dig pretty much along any part of the creek or nearby to it. You can find sapphires anywhere on the property, from the surface to down as deep as you could possibly dig, luck plays an important part in finding good stones.

Don't dig in anyone elses hole if it has a bucket in it and don't touch any tools you see left near the creek.

Watch out for the leaches in the creek, they are large and nasty.

Heatho said:
To start with there is most likely no way that Bill (owner of Billabong Blue) will let you use a pump, I'd call fist and ask someone before taking a pump there.

All you need is a good pick, crowbar, round mouth shovel, buckets and a couple of sieves !/4 inch and 1/8 inch.

You can dig pretty much along any part of the creek or nearby to it. You can find sapphires anywhere on the property, from the surface to down as deep as you could possibly dig, luck plays an important part in finding good stones.

Don't dig in anyone elses hole if it has a bucket in it and don't touch any tools you see left near the creek.

Watch out for the leaches in the creek, they are large and nasty.

Thanks Heatho,

So the pump and emptying out the small rock pools beside the creek is probably not a good idea if no pumps are allowed. Its a shame as i bet theres a lot of nice stones down deeper in those little pools.

Ill give Bill a call to discuss what is allowed and go from there.

Thanks for the tip on leaches.

Cheers Mike

The key is just digging a deep hole just dont give up on it because where your digging is going to be as good as anywhere else