Impact beach settings???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading off to Heathcote area tomorrow for a few days hopefully it behaves better there than it does on the wet sand.

Jakal you have joined a very privileged and select few who have used the Impact on the GT goldfields; me.Phase Tech and yourself.Most blokes cant handle the complexity of the new Impact cos of all the many modes and settings.It is a pro machine more suited for experienced users and it will take you a couple of months to learn how to use it best in goldfields.However its high stability in high mineralisation means after you have mastered the modes and settings you wont have recurring problems dealing with the hot ground unlike most other VLF machines.

oldtimerROB said:
Jakal you have joined a very privileged and select few who have used the Impact on the GT goldfields; me.Phase Tech and yourself.Most blokes cant handle the complexity of the new Impact cos of all the many modes and settings.

First Impressions.

Unboxed a Nokta Impact last night and was impressed by the obvious quality of the build of the machine.

I took it out this morning near Maldon, had it running quietly very quickly. Was finding small pieces of lead shot in a very trashy and fairly mineralised area that I've been out to before now.

I'll be using this machine a lot over the next few weeks, there are a lot of different settings and it should be a lot of fun learning the ins and outs of this machine.

:)

Hey Rob stay out of those old brothels, never know what you might catch. :eek:
Didn't have as much time with the machine as I wanted to. Mostly ran it in dumb mode as I wanted to see what it could find. Found a bit of junk, the deepest was only a couple of inches.Also was finding what I think you guys call hot rocks. Also it was giving a lot of quiet signals which didn't register an id number. I didn't dig those as I thought it may be the falsing issues I get down at the beach. Then again............

Good luck on the sand. I experimented by burying different targets at different depths to see what the machine actauly was capable of. Dry sand it was hitting targets at 1 foot I didnt go deeper than that. Wet sand not as successful it couldn't pick my keys at 1 foot deep. I buried the targets in a plastic shopping bag to make recovery easy.And yes I had a brief moment of panic trying to recover my keys. 8.( :D :party:

jakal said:
Also it was giving a lot of quiet signals which didn't register an id number. I didn't dig those as I thought it may be the falsing issues I get down at the beach. Then again............

Hi jakal, it's the quiet or faint signals you want to investigate, could well be a deep target just on the verge of detection.
Best thing to do when you get a faint signal is scrape and inch or so off the top and see if the signal get stronger, a target will get louder and falsing or ground noise will most likely dissipate.

A lot of those quiet signals with no ID may well be coins out of effective detection range. If I were targetting coins say in front of an eroded sand hill, I would be digging all repeatable deep tones, even if they have degraded to an iron type grunt. Tones will always win out over the ID on any VLF when trying to hit coins at depth, you just have to make a judgement call when progressing to wet sand on whether the majority of tones are simply falsing (none repeatable one way tones), and just concentrate on the more obvious repeatable tones.

Could also switch to one of the Gen modes for a listen, or even easier just scrape the sand with your foot to get the coil a couple inches closer to the target.

Had a bit of a beach hunt today with the Impact using the 9x5.5" coil.

On dry sand, I could run DI3, Sensitivity about 78, and it ran great.

On wet sand, I ground balanced in COG mode, and could have Sensitivity in the low 70s with zero falsing unless I bumped the coil on the sand. This is obviously hard to avoid, so I dropped Sens to 67.

I buried a $2 coil to the depth of my small trowel maybe 13cm or so, in real wet grey sticky sand and it was pinging it with ease. I tried different modes, and the two best modes were DI4 and VLX2. This was a very quick test as the wind was howling and I was getting sand in my eyes and everywhere else, so I called it a day before I could hunt in these modes. As I walked back up the beach I flicked into Gen mode, and it was quite stable.

RR is correct, this topic is for Impact beach settings, not gold fields findings. As I mentioned in another topic, if you want to post off-topic info on the Impact, create a new topic - otherwise they will be deleted. Thank you!