Chainsaw Powered Portable Rock Crusher

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys! I am Sergey, from Russia! I am just wondering if anyone here can be interested in the compact portable rock crusher powered by chainsaw. This is sampling crusher, not a pruduction machine. Watch how it works on Youtube (search this code ehyddk30Yg). I am able to sell these crushers to Australia and would like to discuss it with interested prospectors. Any questions here or in PM :Y: .
Sergey
1509639690_s-l1600_1.jpg

1509639690_s-l1600_2.jpg

1509639690_s-l1600.jpg

Hi Sergey, welcome to the forum.

I'm just wondering if you are the maker or just selling these? If you are making them then we may be able to offer some good advice to make minor improvements to the design.

The concept for this seems to be simple, quick and cheap to build so your off to a good start, but the angle on your feed shoot and the lack of a stopper to stop rock spitting out while in use is a concern to me. Also it would be good to get some more pictures of the welding as these devices endure huge amounts of vibration so the welds need to be able to handle the stress.

What sort of price were you thinking of selling these? If the price is right then lm sure you will find a market for these in Australia.

Hi! Yes, I make them. I have sold more than 15 devices to USA and Canada and never had any negative feedbacks on its quality. I use stick and mig for welding and sure it will hold for years.

What is wrong with the inlet angle? How should I make it better? And about stopper I am goling to make a metal lid on hinge. It will be more convenient and will stop any piece of rock flying out.

The price. I am selling them to USA for $150-200. Plus shipping $50. If I will have several orders from Australia I will be able to make them for US $150 for a piece. If only 1-2 pieces the price will be closer to $200. And other ungrateful moment is shipping to AU. It is cost about $90 (US). And can take a while....

So I would be glad if you guys can give me some advices to make it better and I will be able to make one and send to someone for testing.
Thanks!

I think Matt means something like this
1509686790_cobracrusher.jpg

When the chain is spun anti clockwise there is little likelihood of anything being thrown out.

Have you thought of making them to fit on angle grinders?

With the high shipping cost you may not sell many mate.

I am able to make it a 2-way powered by chainsaw or by angle grinder using coupling nut.
The price of the Cobra Crusher it twice more (about $450+shipping on Amazon).
I just want to make it a better product and if someone find it to be useful I will be glad to make it.
1509687299_dsc08846.jpg

I think your onto a great thing if you can make these at that price point.
The possible issue with the inlet is the angle is so sharp that there are likely to be blockages that could be avoided. Check out Ryan's version for a few ideas that might help a little (l don't think he sells these anymore so l hope he doesn't mind)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7775

Also if you want to make another version that can be used for small batch processing instead of just sampling then u may find a market for that as well. It would take a lot more work hours per unit to make these so the cost would be higher, but there are plenty of guys that would love to be able to run a larger sample at home.
This page shows the modifications one of our users did to Ryan's machine above, lve done something similar myself and have to say it works brilliantly, but as far as l know there is nothing commercially available that fits this market segment without modification https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8399

I really hope you can make this work, there seems to be a lack of cheap sampling machines available.

So do you think that -type inlet tube should have a wider angle? 120* over 90* degree? Should it work better? Considering the outlet tube, I am not sure about diameter of the holes in the mesh...What size will be good 1, 2, 3mm?

I wouldn't be too worried about getting the mesh size exactly right to start with, because it's only for small batches it's easy enough to sift and rerun the stuff that didn't crush fully. So probably 3mm mesh should be fine, but it's going to depend a lot on the machine, the rock being processed and what the user needs. Ideally you could make it with a very wide outlet mesh(10mm), but allow the user to cover that with a fine mesh of their choice (yeah l know it's all extra work).
The inlet angle would likely be fine at 120 degrees, but lve never built a crusher from scratch, lve only ever modified them. Do a search on crushers in this forum and you should find a huge amount of information about what does and doesn't work and why. At 90 degrees rock just gets stuck a lot, even stuff you would think would be fine.

Even with all the stuff lve been saying, you look to have a good little crusher and though l can see possible improvements, it should certainly do a decent job and l do think the price is reasonable, even with the postage.

Good question. Generally best not to have it at the very bottom, normally l would think a little above the bolt at the bottom closest to the chainsaw, but would need to make sure you didn't end up with a lot of dust being sucked in by the chainsaw.
The material should come out just fine if you cut the exit in the flat plate close to the edge, it's getting spun around very quickly and the lighter dust will exit more freely than the heavier bits of rock so that's one reason the size of the exit mesh shouldn't matter as much. You will need to make sure you don't weaken the design too much by putting the exit in, but even if you go half way between the bolts closest to the chainsaw the material will likely exit just fine.
One other thing that improves these things a huge amount and is really simple to do, make sure to put some type of gasket between the drum and the outer plate and compressible washers (rubber or cloth) between the bolts and the plate. Anything that will last and can be compressed will work as a gasket, but these things throw out a huge amount of dust from the tiniest gap so a tiny amount of money spent on a gasket(almost anything works) will cut the dust down a lot and the compressible washers on the bolts will cut down on the amount of time spent tightening them, the vibration will quickly shake it apart otherwise.

Sergey, are you still making and selling these to the United States? I would like to buy one

Latest posts