Lithium deep cycles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well these are not actually "deep cycles" as far as i know but theres some interesting reading about on them,quite a few caravaners are running them with great success.
Prices on a drop in say 120ah 12v lithium on fleabay last i looked are up around $2000 i think :eek:
Im just tyre kicking but i reckon they look the goods,like the idea of 4 different cells also,if one drops out easily replacable compared to a fully sealed unit,weight savings are huge and battery life if managed correctly is also,ya need to buy also a monitering or charging system so a few extra $ but not near the price of the current fully sealed 12v lithiums,thinking of getting a new ute in the new yr and i wanted to have about a 120 aux mouted up the back somewhere prob just charged off a panel,might give these a go,save some weight :)
Anybody running them or have any experience with them?
Theres some good discussions etc on a caravaners forum i came across
See if the link works below,just scroll down the page a bit to the different battery sizes etc.

http://www.evworks.com.au/battery-systems/?pgnum=2

I looked at these a while back as a replacement for the 100AH aux gel battery I have been using. I don't want it permanently mounted in the car, so it lives in a battery box that goes in the car along with the camp fridge as required. The bloody thing weighs about 32kg so from a weight perspective the lithium was really tempting.

But then I checked the relatively new 240V charger I use to keep the aux battery charged while it's sitting in the shed. Does it support lithium? Nope....

Then I checked the 12V DC-DC charger (Projecta IDC25) I use to keep it topped up on the go or when running off solar. Does it support lithium? Nope....

So suddenly the lithium upgrade looked like a pretty expensive exercise unfortunately.

yep very heavy bundyjd. have a 150AH battery in a weekender battery box, works well for camping trips, as long as you don't have to lift, or move it to often.

Ha! maybe paying the extra for the redarc 1225d will be worthwhile then.
The 4wd won't notice the difference in weight, where these P04's come into play is where weight is critical such as in keeping camper trailers light or caravans that may need 4,5,6,7+ batteries, that is where you really need to consider weight.

Is that redarc lithium friendly OP,with these batteries lithium as a aux or in a trailer or van are affordable by the looks,i had a dirt bike i sold a while ago,had it for a couple of years and never rode it much,bought it off a workmate and it had a lithium battery in it,it sat for near 12 months at one stage,wasnt charged,youd go into the shed and the battery would be still be near full,hardly lose any cranking power,there impressive.
For going bush etc i think anything that can take more abuse is a good thing,you can run them down alot deeper,inbetween trips they will hold there charge etc,probably dont have to baby them like we do with the agms,agms are easily buggered if not treated right then off course the weight savings.
We have two 120s in our trailer that are not that old so not needed at the moment,i run 2 aux in the cruza also but might be updating that in the next 6 months so i think ill give them a go,was thinking of 4x3.2-60ah and just ran off a panel and compatable reg for them,hell that adds up to under 10kgs!
Not sure about the relation of say 60ah when there 3.2 compared to 12 volt at same rate,looks to good to be true to have 240ah of lithium with 4 hooked togethor,hope im wrong because thats alot usable power more then even 2x120 agms.
some good discussions on this forum if the link works,ive only read a few bits and pieces but enough to get me interested
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=31352

The redarc 1225d is Lithium friendly, that's a BCDC 25Amp charger which also has a solar mppt input.
That sounds right up your alley for what you want.
4x 3.2v 60ah in series to make a 12v will still be 60ah

In series you add the volts and the amps stay the same.
In parallel you add the amps and the volts stay the same.

Aha thought it was to good to be true,thanks for the info on that redarc,so id prob go 4x3.2-100ah i think,$720 the pack and by rights prob about 200ah of usable power for 12-13kgs odd,am i starting to bark up the right tree?
Ev works should have some good info on setting them up also id say.....

Don't forget you can always do series parallel.
4x40ah in series to get the voltage
Then make two packs like that and parallel them to give you 80ah $576 (equal to 160ah gel)
Depending on size and price you could make up a pack to suit your needs

They are still expensive, for vehicle use where you only need one or two batteries it really doesn't make much difference weight wise.
But not having to baby them would be a big benefit to people that are just not good at keeping an eye on stuff like that.

What were you planning to run with your setup?

Not alot OP,im prob gonna buy a new dmax space cab,for the odd short trip where we dont cart our trailer which has fridge and quad in it so it will run a fridge for 3-4 days on occasion,id like to just rely on solar,we prefer to not take a gennie,55 ltr fridge mate and charge 3 detectors,id like to be up about the 200ah if it was conventional batts i think.
Its all about weight also,i learnt a big lesson last 18 months odd,i built a trailer (1st go at anything like that) and i went overboard,heavy steel and to much of it,the thing weighs a ton,well actually loaded right up @ 2.1,tows like a bag OS but its awsome when we get there,shes solid but weight can be a big drawback,quad,fuel and water are 3 priorities for us,your talking at least 600kgs just there so any weight we can save is a bonus,we cant make fuel,water or quad lighter so if we can lighten batts well awsome,plans down the track are spacecab ute so quad fits on it then a few years something like lifestyle AT12NB and that would be setup with no shortage of power,so when i grab this ute its more of a trial and become familiar with the lithiums,i think they sound awsome compared to what weve been using.....
got a bit on tomorrow but will try to post a pic of my haymen reece hitch after we hit a surprise washout with our trailer full of water,quad,8 jerrys on extended trip,way out the back of some ranges,bent it like a bannana,was a worry where we were i tell ya but we got away with it,im changing my tune,lighter the better ..... ;)

I was actually thinking of pulling 1 of my 50 amp batteries apart for my minelab close to same weight . But good wife already bought one for me

Dibs

Would like to hear more about your system Dibs,sorry for not replying havent had a look here for ages
Received my batteries off ev works,not winstons but another brand (calb),$160 each,so 3.2volt 100ah,they seem to be pushing these ones so i said ok,11.5 low cut out switch also and straps,probably wont get them in for a cuppla weeks as it looks like i need to make a box to go under the tray for them,also sussing out a dedicated lithium solar reg if i can preferably.....
1521077103_0accffbe-9a2c-446b-abc9-3615f4b2fb53.jpg

Latest posts