Bombs and Bullets UXO

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, used to build cracker guns. I used a steel piece. Sealed the 2 steel ends added the barrel. Hacksawed a slot for the wick to come out. Used a cracker the same size as the pipe. Now for the ball bearings.
First go it put 3 holes thru the back fence-----Boy did i pay for that!!! 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.(

This used to be an ordnance bunker in Iraq. internal dimensions about 20mtrs x 20mtrs x 4mtrs high. Revetted walls with internal walkway between outer walls and inner wall.

1502701044_105_0575_28613000.jpg

It's amazing just what you can do with about 500 pound of propellant and a couple of tons of fine dust. A length of detcord with mortar cartridge to ignite propellant, the shockwave makes the dust rise into a cloud and then the resulting mass fire instantaneously ignites the dust to explode. We levelled several bunkers before we were made to tell our yank partners why the bunkers exploded. ]:D ]:D ]:D They were good days.

Cheers

Doug

It is amazing where things end up. You don't need to be near a military range to come across range produce/ordnance etc. A few years back I came across a trip flare on the edge of a lake in a suburb, the nearest military base is over an hour away. So I would not assume that because you are not on a old military area that you can't come across a UXO.

Tim_2260 said:
It is amazing where things end up. You don't need to be near a military range to come across range produce/ordnance etc. A few years back I came across a trip flare on the edge of a lake in a suburb, the nearest military base is over an hour away. So I would not assume that because you are not on a old military area that you can't come across a UXO.

Yes Tim, be very aware when you find someones cash crop while out detecting. They use all types of improvised traps and homemade ordnance or weapons. Best to just leave and call the authorities.

Cheers

Doug

Ridge Runner said:
Mr Magoo said:

Yeah I saw that on the News today 1.4 tons, they find German bombs over here every other week but they are about 500kg's,

But at 1.4 tons I reckon that will make a bit of a dent in the ground. :lol: :lol:

J.

Yer. We would even get a few in the central highlands, but not often. It's the ones the trawlers pull up which would leave me clenching.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/depth-charge-how-seabed-bombs-are-driving-offshore-innovation/

I like the foot note on the link about that bomb where they said they dug up a 1.8 Ton bomb on Christmas Day 2016, Can you imagine the Bang that thing would make,

Even 7.62 could hear that one going off in the yard, :lol: :lol: :lol:

J.

Here is a photo of a mud hut demolition we done in Iraq just on the outskirts of a town called Diwaniyah. The mud hut had about 32 tons of ordnance in it. :Y:

1509415589_mudhut_2_28623156.jpg

We were 1 km away and had items passing over our head. We were limited to the size of our shots because we were right on the edge of town. We loaded up one of the big bunkers with about 200 odd ton but the authorities wouldn't let us fire that one. :(

Cheers

Doug

Just keep it safe. As 7.62 has said in some of his posts . With UXO leave it alone and contact the authorities. Please people do not trespass on military firing ranges . Not only are you trepassing you might just get yourself a free ride to the pearly gates to see good old St Peter. It is plain stupid. Stupid.

Latest posts