Queensland Durakai GPA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andos patch I have heard of. But like pudlers had a lot of work. Talgai has possibilities and nuggets pulled but the areas such as dunns gully are not exactly in the GPA, not the part where the big gold was found. I think that and others are on private land. Thanes Creek gold also seems to be left over fine gold that came down stream from the old battery crushing stamps from mines.

Your research is spot on. Gold and Ghosts has quite a bit of info on the area. And it shows you roughly what areas to look and what kind of gold you should expect to find. That is why I would always favour Talgai over Durikai. But Durikai has produced as well, and it is also not listed too much besides Canal Creek.

Cheers mate! Those Gold and Ghosts volumes are probably going to be collector item as not cheap now as sounds like treasure maps essentially!! lol now on the search for a volume 3 haha

I'll check out areas but looks like on the gov map area of Talgai that the approved fossicking area lays just close to /just off dunn gully...geeze its close lol

or follow shanty gully as splits off dunn and heads into the approved area for sure!

ahh well, might be knocking on some locals doors just to be safe lol

I think tributaries of Dunns Gully and Shanty are in the GPA but not the spot where they actually found the big gold.

But saying that, there has been some nice gold found in the GPA. I would be doing the same thing, check every gully there first.

ahh that be right lol only allow fossicking where no gold is historic haha

But you never know until you get out there!! technology these days compared to what they were using back in the day...could discover that elusive chunk of gold!

Dan78 said:
ahh that be right lol only allow fossicking where no gold is historic haha

But you never know until you get out there!! technology these days compared to what they were using back in the day...could discover that elusive chunk of gold!

That's the right attitude Dan78. You never know unless you try.

I always have this inner argument about that. Tech these days versus what they had. But they also had MORE GOLD, and a lot more of it. Sunbakers, muti ouncers, rich patches and untouched reefs. They got to it first and got a lot of the easy stuff. Then if you were unlucky enough, the Chinese came through and picked up all the crumbs they missed. So we are left with the crumb of the crumbs. So we really do need the tech to help us out. (And some crazy weather events)

The other funny thing is most of the biggest gold nuggets found were actually not far from the surface. Jeff Williams has an episode about that, larger nuggets settling on top of smaller fine gold.

Don't worry Dan, there will be some gold there regardless. No one finds everything. Location, size and depth is something you will have to figure out when you find it.

You know the old saying, Gold is where you find it. Now I know what they mean by that.

Yup just gotta get out there!! crazy the amount of gold pulled back in the day...from reading old newspaper clippings and I'm sure they've missed a couple pockets...I'll be happy with little crumbs of crumbs...and hopefully little chunky crumbs

Still determined to pull nuggs out of Durikai so will go back there first..just past the twins is the top of Andos patch..hopefully on Thursday, then venture up to Talgai

Got eaten alive last weeks visit by mozzies..still itchin lol! and that was inbetween few nests of bull ants and a pissed off funnel web spider lol...will have to bring some extra arrogard i reckon!

same,,but left it in the Fj and it must have worn off after couple hrs lol

Dan78
I will be out in that area this week-end. If I see anyone there I try and say g'day. I am running and SDC and have found a few sub grammars at Durikai. People are still finding bits at Durikai but I do think some of the stories of finds are much larger than the actual bits of gold.

Anyway hope to catch up in the filed.Hayouinau as well.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Sounds good, I'll be out Thurs/Fri!! if you see a dirty muddy black FJ then probably me haha!!

:Y:

patience, when you learn that you will find gold........ :Y:
i just got back from 3 days at durakai and no gold..... :(
below is what i found over a 4 week period last month.
1509603397_img_1826.jpg

1509603417_img_1827.jpg

1509603581_img_1783.jpg.jpg

1509603605_img_1785.jpg.jpg

1509603630_img_1828.jpg

1509603682_img_1776.jpg.jpg

and the 14.39gram came from andos patch. ;)

Latest posts