Queensland Durakai GPA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haaha cheers mate, I'll get there!!

next Thursday...3rd times visit a charm and will get a nugget!!

finally got me an FJ cruiser to get deeper in to the forest! trying to get to claire hill rd and mountain maid/forestry rd...on the south area....near nuggety gully.

Anyone been or had any luck in this area??

Tried the carbean and rabbit fence rd and seemed worked over pretty good..so venture deeper and hopefully less flogged!!

heading out tomorrow!! Fingers crossed for decent weather and lots of gold haha!!

sooo hot and sooo many mozzies...no gold nuggets ..few bullets and old fence lol..one specie but forgot it after finding bit of fence in the same hole that was singing like crazy after the rock....then couldn't find it when tried to track back footsteps..damit!! lol

Beat the storm though...thankfully!! heading back out tomorrow!! FJ loves the dirt roads and puddles lol

Hey Jaros, nah no camping, just day trips from Goldy and always having fun getting out there. Might check them camping sites out though!

Got out again yesterday to different spot..pretty much first turn into north end of durikai off the hwy ...still no nuggets, but did find a nice little funnel web spider...or little tarantula..that was guarding a big old dig hole after i moved some branches...moved him on to nearby tree and then pulled little bit of tin out of the hole lol

nearby were some massive ants out there as well!! think maybe bull ants..didn't stick around as they were not happy with my presence haha!

some more old .22's, bit of led shot, and some tin....and an old necklace!! I finally found treasure lol!

oh and some more puddles after the storm the previous day made up for no nuggets! love the FJ cruiser!!

beer went down pretty good after getting home as there was a fatality on way home ...RIP...it was about 30min past Boonah...roads shut both ways for min 3hrs...so had to back track around and go through rathdowny..5 and a bit hrs later..got back home. drive safe people!! so many dickheads up my tail and I was going between 85-100..i just let them past at any point i have a chance to pull aside.

Hopefully next week will find the shinny stuff!!

Yeah, there's not too many ways around these sort of incidents. I still reckon you all had a lot of fun. I've never really struck those bullants when i've been there but I suppose the recent rain might have upset them--a lot.
Godd hunting mate,
Jaros :Y:

Check and research some history for the area. Us detectorists are looking for nuggets, not fine gold. History is your best friend, so use it to your advantage. Worked for me.

I have seen a lot of the gold pulled out of Durikai. Lost Treasures Everton has a photo on the wall of a pan full of nuggets all pulled from Duriaki, but whether it was from the Canal Creek side (Carbean Rd) or not I do not know. The areas I know for certain gold nuggets have been found at Durikai are Carbean Rd (Canal Creek Alluvial) and Puddlers. Any other places I have heard of are not in the GPA area.

Hey, the only way to ever know for sure is to check. Sooner or later it will come.

Good luck, and I hope you find your shiny stuff soon.

Thanks hAyyoUinAu!! persistence prevails as they say lol

I still managed to find lots of junk in that pocket of carbean rd and rabbit fence so maybe try again!! so if finding junk deep then still potential for nuggets i guess.

Ive just done little checks on google earth with QLD globe and add the old abandon mine plugin and will pin the twin sisters for next trip also!...thats puddlers/twin sisters right?

The gravels the old timers dug on Canal Creek banks were up to 3m deep in some spots if I am correct. So yup, still would be some stuff deeper.
And probably good territory for ZED even with a 19". But don't take all the gold please, leave some for us.

I would focus my time more there. I still haven't had a chance to swing ZED over the old timers diggings there.

I only played around with the SDC at the diggings and when ZED/I was out there with kids, it was too far for them to go so we played in that bottom corner with all the junk piles.

I think puddlers is down from the twin sisters. I would be checking that, even though it does get hammered.

Twin Sisters was rock mining and I think the gold was fine or minimal. Off the top of my head, I would have to confirm, but I am pretty sure its right.
It is easy to locate, just follow the road/track and it leads you straight to it. It is filled in tho...and junk.

Someone correct me, the Carbean Rd (Canal Creek) diggings would be classed as placer gold. So not necessarily a fault, but a fault would not be too far away.

legend!! cheers mate!!! Damit!! found it!! I stopped just up from the twins in that open clear area yesterday!! spider was here and those dam ants...& found the necklace near that old cattle structure/timber thing lol...should have kept going bit further!

there would be heaps of species I reckon in those gravels!!

I've only got the standard 14inch on the zed...but I'll test it out in puddlers/twins next visit now I know where to go...prob next thurs!

hAyyoUinAU said:
Someone correct me, the Carbean Rd (Canal Creek) diggings would be classed as placer gold. So not necessarily a fault, but a fault would not be too far away.

Spot on.

My source recently told me Canal Creek and Puddler is still producing gold for him with his GPX and 12 Evo coil.

I reckon the GPZ should do well also there being the superior detector with either its 14 or 19 coils

It is amazing how you can return and wonder how did I miss that one before.

Cheers Rush! I've no idea on placer gold/fault gold...but its sounding like good spot to hit next trip out!!!

The gold I got was sub gram. The gold I saw in photo from area was all diff sizes ranging from 1-2 ounces to sub grammers. Heaps and heaps of small stuff. Apparently that is what Durikai is known for. Small stuff. But what is small to some is big to others.

gonna have a crack at andos patch next trip..hopefully next thursday!..then maybe try Talgai bottom end near big hill rd and old thanes creek rd...Dunn gully! from research looks close to source as rough..not smooth nuggets been pulled..any one know what i'm on about lol?...im just hoping from research...

Latest posts