Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
Hi Magilla.

Definitely counterfeits about.

The GPZ now is the same as the original except for the updates.

One of the main reasons that I bought the Z was that Minelab indicated this would be their platform for the next XX years (I've heard 10 years mentioned). And with update-able software it is very conceivable that things won't change much with the physical machine for quite sometime.

Unless...you would think that plastics, carbon fiber, batteries, design, etc may advance enough over the next 3 or 4 years that similar technology could be placed in a lighter housing.

Certainly haven't regretted getting mine :Y:

Thanks mate, I thought it was the same but I know there were a few issues with them when they first came out but that may have been user error.
I still can't find anybody that has claimed to have bought a fake, the alibaba listing put up by Balmain Bob has it for $2k more than what we pay here so not sure what the go is there. Alibaba also lists the 19" coil but does not list a price. Pretty sure I will be getting a new one but if a good deal came up second hand it would be nice to know for sure if it is genuine, I guess a receipt is easy to check.

What bothers me to tears is that Alibaba is a publicly listed company ( one of the biggest in the world ) yet knowingly sells counterfeit products. What the bloody hell are the authorities doing about it ????? SFA is the answer ! :mad:

Rick

Whole loads of wrong with that Alibaba ad.
One pic shows a black coil?
Mine doesn't have Aussie Digger written on it?
Kit pic shows old style harness not sold with 7000?

hello everybody, and first excuse me for my bad english but I am french. I plan to buy a gpz7000 with 19' coil (mono/DD coil) not to find gold (unfortunatly in france there are not nugget Crying or Very sad ) but to specific tresure hunting. before to buy the gpz7000 I would like to ask you something : for me it won't be to try to detect litle targets but big targets. so my question is : do you have an idea of the maximum rough detection depth of gpz7000 with 19' coil for a metalic target of 4 inches diameter in normal soil (in france ground is not as mineralised as australian ground) ? it's just to have an rough idea, I know well that maximum depth mean nothing, but at your idea is it close to 30 inches, 40 inches, 50 inches, 60 inches ?
thank you for your answers.

Hi detection26.

Hard to answer as a lot depends on the actual metal, the shape, the size, the texture of the surface, the orientation of the object in the ground, etc.
But to give you a guide.

I've dug a lovely big bolt at 1.2 metres (measured). Faint signal on the surface and very disappointed that it was a bolt!

I've heard of a few very large nuggets dug over a metre deep.

Have dug .22 projectiles 30cm deep.

Have dug LOTS of rubbish targets over 50 cm.

But on my GPZ training day there were 2 blokes from Persia (I think it was) that had bought the GPZ to take back to Persia for treasure detecting. The trainer told them they may have just wasted $10,000 on their new detector!! The reason being is that the GPZ has no discrimination and no depth advisory at all so you will be digging every piece of metal from Calais to Foix.

Gaining ultimate depth may not end up being as important as gaining some efficiency in how many holes you dig by having a discriminating detector.

Maybe a CTX 3030 might be the go?

Whatever you decide please make sure you come back here and post your treasure finds ;)

Northeast said:
Hi detection26.

Hard to answer as a lot depends on the actual metal, the shape, the size, the texture of the surface, the orientation of the object in the ground, etc.
But to give you a guide.

I've dug a lovely big bolt at 1.2 metres (measured). Faint signal on the surface and very disappointed that it was a bolt!

I've heard of a few very large nuggets dug over a metre deep.

Have dug .22 projectiles 30cm deep.

Have dug LOTS of rubbish targets over 50 cm.

But on my GPZ training day there were 2 blokes from Persia (I think it was) that had bought the GPZ to take back to Persia for treasure detecting. The trainer told them they may have just wasted $10,000 on their new detector!! The reason being is that the GPZ has no discrimination and no depth advisory at all so you will be digging every piece of metal from Calais to Foix.

Gaining ultimate depth may not end up being as important as gaining some efficiency in how many holes you dig by having a discriminating detector.

Maybe a CTX 3030 might be the go?

Whatever you decide please make sure you come back here and post your treasure finds ;)

thank you very much much for your answers. don't worry, I know well that gpx/gpz are not dedicated to treasure hunting. you're right because in europe on antic place where we are looking for treasure there are a lot of iron nails (each 10 cm you can detect a nail) but I detect since 28 years and in some specific conditions gpx can be good for treasure hunting, for exemple on a litle space where you already find some valuable coins, you dig everything, nails and coins. I own myself several years ago a gpx 4000.
what was the size of the big bolt ?
actually I use a russian pulse induction metal detector first dedicated for mines, the geotech mg1,
you can see a picture below :
1509027984_mg-1.jpg

it's a very strange metal detector because it's a PI with two coils, one for transmission and second to reception. for big targets, it's a better detector than PI with 1 meter side frame. for exemple, on my ground test I have a 50 cm diameter metallic target burried at 1.8 meter depth (ground with very low mineralisation, it's limestone ground). my PI (stinger 2) with 1.2 meter side frame don't detect the target, and the geotech mg1 detect it until 3 meters. the other problem with PI and frame is that the ground must be flat. if the ground is not flat you have a lot of false signals. with MG1 even if the ground is not flat you don't have false signal.
so for very big targets I like very much the MG1, and I think (but you can confirm me that) that it will be more powerfull than gpz 7000 (I don't think the gpz 7000 can detect very big targets at 3 or 4 meters, which is normal bacause gpz is not dedicated to big target but to all size of targets). but for midle targets (10 cm diameter) I think that perhaps the gpz 7000 will be more powerfull than MG1 (which will be normal as the more the target will be litle, the more the gpz 7000 will have advantage).
a friend of mine will have gpz7000 + 19' coil in few weeks, we will make test on 10 cm metallic target between MG1 and GPZ 7000 and I will give you the result.
a last question : did you ever used a PI with 1 meter frame to try to detect big nuggets in australia ?

That is a strange looking detector indeed! ;)

Bolt was approx 1/2 inch X 8 inches.

I can see where you are coming from. Certainly worth digging everything if valuable items have been found in the area. And the GPZ with the 19 inch coil should give better depth than any of the other mainstream detectors.

What is the ultimate depth of the GPZ? I'm not sure. But I could imagine that for a very large target (a large metal gate or something strange like that) the GPZ might detect beyond 2 metres. But that's just a guess.

A p.i with a 1 metre frame? There are a few people in Oz that use a drag behind coil. One of the coil manufacturers used to make a 40 inch coil that was placed on a sled type arrangement and dragged behind a specially set up 4 wheel motorbike or something like that. I think a few people also specially wound their own coils to suit. I'll try and find a few pics as there are a few on here somewhere.

It might just be cheaper to fly someone with a GPZ over to France to detect for a couple of months. There are probably plenty of fella's on here that would just hate that :D :D

Very interesting :Y:
The gpz will find every peice of metal in size from the tip of a pin upwards so doing ground that you have cleaned up previously is the smartest move :Y: and alot of gold hunters here will do the same by using a lighter to handle detector that has a shallow range first or doing ground others have flogged with older detectors.

The gpz with the 19 inch coil is a beast to use and is more suited to flatter open type areas , it is super sensitive and a great coil . :Y:

It is also heavy and hard to pin point your targets , if you draw a rectangle on the floor 19 inch by 14 inch and round the corners off that will give you the size , now hold a stick/broom handle to your drawing and imagine swinging that down into a 36inch deep hole . It becomes very hard unless you remove lots of dirt

The standard 14 inch coil has plenty of depth aswell and runs super smooth , if you can afford a gpz you wont regret it .

Have a look at Garrett 2500 with depth multiplyer ive used one to find to find a set of old pistols rap in grease paper with resullts and help find 2 royal royce v 12 motors buiried by the American when they left australia after the war they were used in spitfire areoplanes or look mine lab 3030 ps mine lab is not the perfect machine have a look the dues machines we have found more stuff at this site but as u understand it becomes very risky going into this field of detection but im at the process looking at 2 wellie jeeps bonnets im at the windscreen but whats in the back.....

You may be better looking at a GPX4800 or 5000.
These have a powerful coin/relic timing for low mineralised ground & with the use of a large DD coil (~18">) will allow some discrimination using iron reject for sites with a large amount of iron trash like the nails you describe. IMO in lower mineralised ground there would be no real benefit of using the GPZ that doesn't allow any form of discrimination at all & probably won't punch any deeper than a PI in lower mineralised ground.
Another option could be the Whites TDI Pro which using the hi/low conductivity switch will also allow some discrimination even with mono coils.

You need to use the transmitter. The Prosonic won't pair direct to the GPZ's internal transmitter so getting a "synced" sound using 2 different units may be difficult?
Best bet try before you buy if possible or a booster from the WM12 with 2 x speakers?
Have heard that even using 2 x WM12's there can be a lag between units but never tried it myself.

Thanks for the answer mbasko, looks like it wont really work then. Probrably be better just getting a sp01, everyone seems to be happy with them

Good question :Y: , i was wondering if avantree headphones would find the 7000s transmiter ? I just havent got around to trying it yet , i need to because they are so much more comfy than the 7000s headphones .

Latest posts