Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is normally my solo setup.
1507450001_20150815_172032.jpg

Well spoted cando. To be upfront i dont drink much and this was the start of pretty unorganised trip. My mate said he would bring his webber, half way thru cooking the gas tank was empty. Then the arse collapsed in my chair. So after a few schooners of rum i called it a night and tried to sleep in the ute tray, couldnt so raked up the leaf litter and made a bed on the ground. It was pretty comfy untill i woke in the early hours of the morning drenched from the rain that started sometime that night. Might get a waterproof swag or tent a chair that works and a full gas bottle next time. Besides that i did find some gold. :party:

haha! ]:D .... Low and Dark mate! :Y: that's ok if your young and strong as Rambo! :lol: ....and.... have never been set upon by a pack o' wild dogs look'in through your camp for something to eat!...like you :eek: . :D For me...doddering old gent that I am ]:D four walls and security is a priority over all else...Hence the Bowie and a slingshot.Penetration at 30M. through corrugated iron!...something like 250-300 ft/sec. ]:D ]:D will fit the bill! ]:D ]:D :Y: just say'n :Y: :cool:

Way up in the Victorian High Country camped by a beautiful alpine lake - the mast is for a HF radio antenna:

1508641590_hc-camp.jpg

Still in the High Country but about 80km further east - close to the NSW border - shower in the foreground, Coleman
gas stove and "kitchen" table with blue tea towel and hand towel centre frame, fire with tripod next to yellow box.
Both images taken about two years ago around December - both locations around 1200m elevation:

1508642229_hc-camp1.jpg

Morning Shane

The "squidpole" is not a conventional one but a Spiderbeam pole 12m high - about A$160 landed in Oz:

https://www.spiderbeam.com/product_....html&XTCsid=6d855d66319d85ccdab0a60d3f7d39a3

They are an excellent antenna support and much stronger than a squidpole. I run an 80m off-centre fed antenna with a slight mod. in that I place a 4:1 balun at the base of the pole and use 300R TV ribbon to connect that to the antenna arms. The antenna works very well and covers all bands at < 3:1 except 30m and some of 15m. I normally run just 25W to conserve the battery.

I also carry a 7m squidpole and a very lightweight 80m/40m linked dipole for quick or emergency use.

Nucopia: Thanks :) I also have a couple of silver tarps which I rig up if the weather is too hot or wet.

reefer said:
haha! ]:D .... Low and Dark mate! :Y: that's ok if your young and strong as Rambo! :lol: ....and.... have never been set upon by a pack o' wild dogs look'in through your camp for something to eat!...like you :eek: . :D For me...doddering old gent that I am ]:D four walls and security is a priority over all else...Hence the Bowie and a slingshot.Penetration at 30M. through corrugated iron!...something like 250-300 ft/sec. ]:D ]:D will fit the bill! ]:D ]:D :Y: just say'n :Y: :cool:

I'm with you reefer ...................... anywhere further north than Mackay and the swag gets ditched :N: Between wild brumbies, dingoes, feral dogs and crocs plus snakes I'm off the ground :rolleyes: Not sure on my slingshot on corrugated iron .................... but probably do an engine block ]:D
Even these blokes will bite ya nice if cornered and a funny story of some mates who came back to camp to find one in their tent ................ foolishly went in to remove it and it literally tore their nylon tent to pieces :rolleyes:
1508790213_goanna.jpg

Only last week another croc had someone for dinner :eek:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...n-queensland&usg=AOvVaw3gMlMJkEf4SdxSUwnf8-yj

Mike Harding said:
Morning Shane

The "squidpole" is not a conventional one but a Spiderbeam pole 12m high - about A$160 landed in Oz:

https://www.spiderbeam.com/product_....html&XTCsid=6d855d66319d85ccdab0a60d3f7d39a3

They are an excellent antenna support and much stronger than a squidpole. I run an 80m off-centre fed antenna with a slight mod. in that I place a 4:1 balun at the base of the pole and use 300R TV ribbon to connect that to the antenna arms. The antenna works very well and covers all bands at < 3:1 except 30m and some of 15m. I normally run just 25W to conserve the battery.

I also carry a 7m squidpole and a very lightweight 80m/40m linked dipole for quick or emergency use.

Nucopia: Thanks :) I also have a couple of silver tarps which I rig up if the weather is too hot or wet.

Mike would you like to draw a pic of the antenna design. I'm interested
Jaros VK4NLS :Y:

Does HF have an advantage over a sat phone for remote communication ? Looked at them but pretty expensive to set up ?
Cheers :Y:

Bogger said:
Does HF have an advantage over a sat phone for remote communication ? Looked at them but pretty expensive to set up ?
Cheers :Y:
Depends ;) but that's not really the answer you wanted. For emergencies I'd recommend to have both. Having said that, I don't, only the HF for me and I've only used it for social purposes checking into skeds, that type of thing.

If you could only have one for emergencies I'd go with the satphone.

Hi Jaros

>Mike would you like to draw a pic of the antenna design. I'm interested

No problem.

There isn't really a suitable forum and I didn't want it to get lost in/clutter this thread so I have started a new thread in "General":

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=366771#p366771

Please let me know if there is anything further you would like to know.

Thats a sweet looking place Mike,

Was talking to a bloke who was inland fishing last weekend and things were not usual there either.
Better luck next time mate!

Cheers

Latest posts