How does this happen?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.
Found a few similar but this was the best one.
Very obvious hexagon shape and pointed like a prism on each end.
How does this occur? Looks like quartz?

images shares

Thanks,
Shane

Lol due to the diamond like shape? Not sure they come out of the ground that way ;)

Hi Shane.

That's how quartz crystals typically grow - as a hexagonal crystal. Beryls like emerald and aquamarine also have a hexagonal cross-section, as do sapphires. It isn't obvious in all stones, often they are broken up/stream-worn or in the case of sapphire, apparently partly melted. Quartz more often occurs as shapeless masses but when conditions are right it can form as hexagonal crystals.

Yep, they can often be very symmetrical and also very shiny if they are not water-worn. Crystals are remarkable things!

And freakin' giiiiiiiiiiiinormous to boot! Try putting one of them on ya dop stick.

1507535456_cave_of_crystals_-giant_crystal_cave.jpg

Unfortunately, Nacia Mine where that picture was taken is no Longer.. 8.( . The Mining Co has turned off the pumps and Sealed them up...now all the 'Crystal Caverns' are full of Water... Such a shame. Several Offers were made to Preserve the Caverns but Unfortunately the mining company wanted the Minerals instead of keeping some of the most spectacular Crystal Caverns in the World... ... I have some Crystals from there in my 'Collection', but not the Big Ones... :)

LW....

I thought that was a photo shop job :eek:

Some amazing things in this world that's for sure.

LoneWolf said:
Unfortunately, Nacia Mine where that picture was taken is no Longer.. 8.( . The Mining Co has turned off the pumps and Sealed them up...now all the 'Crystal Caverns' are full of Water... Such a shame. Several Offers were made to Preserve the Caverns but Unfortunately the mining company wanted the Minerals instead of keeping some of the most spectacular Crystal Caverns in the World... ... I have some Crystals from there in my 'Collection', but not the Big Ones... :)

LW....

Yes, it's an incredible place. I can't imagine what it would of been like to be the first person to step in there. I only heard about it last year when some of the local primary school kids showed me a picture in a book and his mother also thought it was photoshopped. Although I think Spodumene crystals will grow even bigger but I don't think there are any formations quite as spectacular as this one.

Selenite Crystals they are.....They have found another 2 Caverns when they were Drilling Last Year, and they believe that the whole system is 'Connected' in some way now... But with the Temperature and the 'Conditions' in the Caverns, Man can only venture in for about 30 min before the heat gets you... Several People have Died from heat exposure in 'The Cave of Swords' where the Pic above was taken...
Naica Mine is in Mexico... There Was a Doco called 'Cave of the Giants' on Discovery a few years ago... Well worth a view... Youtube has some cool vids on them too.... :Y:

LW.... :rainbow:

This is typically a sapphire crystal, Sapphire grows in a dogtooth shape and have many lines of cross fracture which creates your little crystal.

Latest posts