Talkback radio caller claims to have found millions in cash and gold while renovating house

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about tearin down the walls hey, bet he ripped in once he got the first glimpse of it too, be all foaming at the mouth and covered in dust and shit by the time he had it all ,... about 3 minutes later, just sitting on the floor with it going Mooohaha hahahaha with heart pounding out of his chest and visions of grandeur backed by crinkly cash and the glint of gold. :eek: Then, 8) the slow look sideways with a wry smile begins. :D

I bought a old cedar outside door with an old lock still on it for $40 at a garage sale. As I'm going to put it on the back porch I am going to put a new dead lock on it. So I pulled the old lock off. It didn't seem to be working properly and it rattled when I shook it, so I unscewed the 2 screws holding the cover plate on and inside I found 5 .22 bullet shells a .22 short bullet shell a 1 cent piece and a 1957 threepence which was the year I was born. I guess some mischievous child had stuffed them in it.

I have some friends that bought an older style timber federation home and moved the whole house onto some acreage. When renovating they uncovered several thousand in old paper pre-decimal currency stuffed into the walls wrapped up in wax paper and tied up like little presents for them :p

They had to go through the process of tracking down possible "owners" but nothing came up as the banknotes were from the 1920's-1930's and no living relatives were uncovered for the owners of the property back then.

Most of the currency was 5 & 10 notes all carefully wrapped, there were however a handful of 20, 50 and even 100 notes which are extremely rare as in 1945 all high denomination banknotes were recalled after the Second World War as a part of a national Security Regulation to uncover hoarded currency. The regulation never became law but it stated that as of August 31st 1945 denominations of 20 and above would cease to be legal tender.

In the end they pretty much won the lottery as they have over the years sent the notes to auction in small amounts as to not flood the collectors market.
They were able to pay the mortgage on their own property in a flash and have accumulated sever investment properties as well.

Its funny because the RBA will convert pre-decimal to current currency but at only 2x rate so 5 = $10. I know that they have got (they are somewhat cagey about it all :cool: ) $30-50k for single notes, and have quite a few left even in the rarer form....oh and they don't work anymore either.

Some people just fall arse backwards into luck!

That'd make a good video too.
I heard a money story like that too, but it involved an old bed, n the people just traded it(the old notes that were in rolls in one leg) for the cash at the bank ,..... they missed out on the fairy tale ending...... :eek: got their $3,000 though.
:Y: :( :Y:

AussieChris said:
I have some friends that bought an older style timber federation home and moved the whole house onto some acreage. When renovating they uncovered several thousand in old paper pre-decimal currency stuffed into the walls wrapped up in wax paper and tied up like little presents for them :p

They had to go through the process of tracking down possible "owners" but nothing came up as the banknotes were from the 1920's-1930's and no living relatives were uncovered for the owners of the property back then.

Most of the currency was 5 & 10 notes all carefully wrapped, there were however a handful of 20, 50 and even 100 notes which are extremely rare as in 1945 all high denomination banknotes were recalled after the Second World War as a part of a national Security Regulation to uncover hoarded currency. The regulation never became law but it stated that as of August 31st 1945 denominations of 20 and above would cease to be legal tender.

In the end they pretty much won the lottery as they have over the years sent the notes to auction in small amounts as to not flood the collectors market.
They were able to pay the mortgage on their own property in a flash and have accumulated sever investment properties as well.

Its funny because the RBA will convert pre-decimal to current currency but at only 2x rate so 5 = $10. I know that they have got (they are somewhat cagey about it all :cool: ) $30-50k for single notes, and have quite a few left even in the rarer form....oh and they don't work anymore either.

Some people just fall arse backwards into luck!

and I am falling as we speak :party:

Great story :Y:

Would be nice huh cashgoldsilver?

My current great anxiety is that I had some of these in a tall Log Cabin tobacco tin that my grandfather gave me 30 years ago, and I only in the last 6 months have realised their value and rarity.

1508483950_kooka.jpg

Problem is I don't know where that tin went after my parents split up and sold our family home.

They have to be somewhere.......I actually get sick with anxiety thinking about them hehe