Action Thread about HighBanking in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike , as it currently stands NAPFA are dealing with it and allowing the government departments to adresss our concerns .. if and when NAPFA needs to take a different direction we will all be notified. Until then we just have to be patient i guess . In the meantime it would be worthwhile joining up for those who havnt as yet and also make a big effort to attend the AGM at Wattle Flat on the 11th November. :cool:

I'm waiting to hear from NAPFA on their dealings with the government...

I reckon after we hear that bit of news, things will liven up again.

I'll say something n do my best to keep it positive as can be. Kick it back off. Once again apologies to Tathradj got off on the wrong foot.
My observation in last long weekend past. Is I've noticed more people doin the right thing by river sluicen and spending more time on detector myself included but most are still whinging.saw sum tucked away risken it. I saw one bloke, brand spanking new gear all set up running all out in plain view obvious to it all. I says "hey m8 you know HB is now illegal" he was like in shock n shit himself n packed up n left. cause we told him we saw the authorities were floating around a few times that day. Which was true. (won't say which). Yep around camp probably 2-3 times per day a 4wd would stop for 10 mins at a Time. Dark tinted windows
Also heard that even property owners were being hassled for information bout anyone using high bankers on crown lands in the area. Which is sad n unnecessary.
Also heard someone say it's not actually illegal right now and this current crack down from September is actually just them gathering evidence to build the case for it to become illegal. Is there any truth to this rumour ? (Need clarification). So what was your observation of the situation of the area you last visited recently?

The Regulator is in Compliance Mode.
In other words unless you are doing something really wrong like
silting up a waterway in a bad way or similar, You will be advised
that water pumps are illegal and asked to pack up and move on.
This campaign finish's the end of this month.

Hi Guys
Has anyone actually spotted anyone out and about doing these compliance checks or just another office tick and flick in a government department ?

Cheers John

You can own as many highbankers as you want , but you cannot use a petrol / electrically / solar powered pump to cause water to flow through the highbanker. If you can devise a way to get the water to flow through the HB without using petrol , electricity or solar to power the water delivery system then you are free to use the HB

I have seen LPG powered generator sets at supagas I cannot see why the same conversion couldn't be carried out on an existing pump. If the definition states petrol and electricity then they could be in for a change of the rules at minimum. Other alternative GREEN power options are browns gas (hydrogen and oxygen) fuel, and also acetylene from carbide and water. So many alternative fuels. I almost forgot 100% ethanol fuel.

Diesel pumps are also available off the shelf.

Then if you wanted another path to follow, water powered pumps could even fit in there. Ken

This might be a stupid suggestion,but, I can remember as a small boy watching cowboy and itchy bum movies with blokes riding a two handled rail mobile . That is , think of the letter T with the horizontal at the top being two handles. Each compression, up ,down would create forward movement.
I would think that someone on this forum would have the brains that I don't have to invent a pump on this principle.
Maybe it was just a dream between too many reds.
Sorry
Mackka

The words in question are "power operated equipment".
The definition in the Regulation is: "power-operated equipmentmeans any equipment powered by mechanical or electrical means".
The type of fuel (petrol, diesel, LPG etc.) or source of electricity (battery, solar, generator etc.) won't matter to them. Using water to power a pump is hydraulics (mechanical).
Some type of hand operated pump would be the only possible solution at the moment :(

There are so many ways to get around the wording of the regulations and make it possible to run the demon highbankers but the bottom line is that through ignorance, the people making and enforcing the rules are targeting what is essentially a low environmental impact device. I could do more environmental damage using a shovel if that was my intention. And natural erosion during flooding occurs usually annually and to a lesser extent through the entire year which causes massive changes to the river systems and that is accepted as normal, which it of course it is. Ken.

Mbasko has it right in post #137. 'Power operated' are the key words in the regulation. The link to the CWPS article is valid but that article only mentions two types of power operated pumps...petrol and electric but it doesn't exclude other forms of 'power'.

It's a stretch to say that because that document mentions two forms of power then any other form of "power operated" is OK. The other key words in the reg are 'processing' and the likely Regulator view of highbanking would be that you are still 'processing' until such time as you have found the material you are after (gold, gems or whatever).

Seems to me that the only resolution is to press for power assisted sluicing with some limits (on size, type, volume, impact etc) and get 'processing' removed or better defined in the Regulation.

That seems to be the case that NAPFA has been prosecuting but without success (to date). :)

United we stand, divided we fall....... The govt. encourages us to watch footy on tv. That's how they control us. How about some of those fat arses get off their butts, join a prospecting club, fight for our rights and freedom and get fit in the process.

Not as silly as it first seems Doug.. :D .but even that would be 'mechanical' would it not?...what about a bucket parade ]:D ....
We just GOTTA' win this one!!... :mad: :mad: . makes me really pee'd off!

Just off topic slightly Doug ]:D I cannot get a confirmation of my NAPFA PAYMENT and receipt thereof!!...could you intercede on my behalf(when it is convenient)..I have enquired by email..given the appropriate details..alas to no avail!, :p ]:D ]:D Rossco :cool:
I feel naked without my CURRENT MEMBERSHIP CARD! :cool: HEHE! ]:D

I know that in some American states they are facing the same dilemma. Some are overcoming this problem by carting five or six 6m lengths of 90mm storm water or similar on the roof of their vehicles, connecting them on the bank (totalling 6 x 6 = 36m) placing in the creek higher up and feeding down to the highbanker. Problem is carting it and more work to put in place and then dismantle. Similar draconian legislation but where there's a will there's a way around things - sometimes. If caught, they have hefty fines over there apparently.

Talon said:
I know that in some American states they are facing the same dilemma. Some are overcoming this problem by carting five or six 6m lengths of 90mm storm water or similar on the roof of their vehicles, connecting them on the bank (totalling 6 x 6 = 36m) placing in the creek higher up and feeding down to the highbanker. Problem is carting it and more work to put in place and then dismantle. Similar draconian legislation but where there's a will there's a way around things - sometimes. If caught, they have hefty fines over there apparently.

Hehe Talon, I too tried it with some pipe leftover from a job site, it worked ok but the river was a bit low at the time so was not quite getting the volume I needed. I imagine it would work fine in fast-moving water, but it's just so impractical! Took me so long to balance the pipe out on rocks etc before I could even move some dirt. Also the problem for me was finding the right spot for enough fall as the intake on the HB is at least 700mm off the ground, so in the end, I had to work so close to the water they would prob just ping you on turbidity. Might try it on a tight bend and go across the gravel bar.

Latest posts