Garrett ATX gold finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, there will be lots of anti comments on here about the Garrett because you will find that people are one or the other.......Holden or Ford. And no matter what the arguments are there will be counter arguments. Most folk on the forum are Minelab users and that's a fact and NEVER the twain shall meet. In the end you have to make your own decision based on you set of perceived criteria. You have to decide whether you want to be a Holden man or a Ford man..........a Minelab user or a Garrett user.

And I guess like me, cost may play a part. Good luck

Hi Tazzie, how much would you be looking for for it And what accessories does it come with?
Jim

Hi all, my internet is playing up hence the double post. I should of said I'm interested if treasureman isn't sorry about jumping in on your post.
Jim

Its ok jim. First in first served. I am interested just doing some research and comparing atm

Hi treasureman, you need to be able to justify the purchase and get the best value possible. Have you used a detector before?
Jim

so, im not interested in buying the ATX but am interested in its gold finds. I know that Moneybox found his PB nugget with the ATX, how about others?

Hi all, I remember the humbug that came out just before the ATX was released and everyone jumped on the bandwagon, are they as good as they claimed or are they sitting in peoples wardrobes collecting dust?
Jim

Treasureman I don't think you'd have any operating problems with the ATX if you're experienced and know how to use a detector.
Jim

Im sure i wouldnt have operating problems either jim. Im just seeking advice and seeing if anyone else here uses one and to what success.

Tassie Daz said:
Mate, there will be lots of anti comments on here about the Garrett because you will find that people are one or the other.......Holden or Ford. And no matter what the arguments are there will be counter arguments. Most folk on the forum are Minelab users and that's a fact and NEVER the twain shall meet. In the end you have to make your own decision based on you set of perceived criteria. You have to decide whether you want to be a Holden man or a Ford man..........a Minelab user or a Garrett user.

And I guess like me, cost may play a part. Good luck

That's not quite true regarding the Ford or Holden debate, I'm the type who will go with the best technology and not spare any expense. I will happily say that Garrett make great detectors, I have the carrot pinpointer and in my opinion it's way better than the ML one. Though it's well known that ML make the very best gold detectors for Australian conditions.

I have no allegiance to any company and will never be a label fanboy. :Y:

As I said, most people who bought an ATX eventually migrate over to a GPX.......

Heatho, we could bash this back and forward and the two camps will never get any closer. My statement may not have applied to you but it seems to me that on most of the forums, most people align themselves with one brand or the other, whether it be Minelab, Garrett, Deus, Whites or whatever, and they think there's is the best because that's what they have been successful with. The comment wasn't meant to be in any way hostile, but mankind will always try to defend the decision we make because its the decision we are comfortable with..........buying a Holden or a Ford.

In the end it may come down to an individual decision based solely on DOLLARS, and if that's the case, then that's ok.

For the record I too have gravitated to Minelab now with the purchase of a near new GPX 4500........yes mate, I too, have seen the light.

Just bumping up this post, as i'd love to hear from some more people about this detector. I am also tossing up whether to get this, or 4500 or whites tdi?
Treasureman what did you decide in the end?

I owned a garret atx. It handled all ground really well. I was using the dd coil mainly. I never found gold with it but as time went by I was finding more objects deeper. Came down to practice and getting to know the machine. I was halves with a mate which didn't work out so decided to sell. I'm sure if I had more time with the atx I would have found gold if I walked over it. I since purchased a 4500 and couldn't be happier. Been out twice and found gold both times. ATX is heavier. Atx doesn't have any exposed cables which is a positive. Very rugged. To sum it up I believe the minelab is a better machine.

I like Kozi M bought an ATX. Found lots of trash with it and when tested on sub grammer nuggets with its stock DD coil (against a 5000) it didn't pick any up (out of 5 in a test patch at 1 inch). That was the clincher for me. Sold the ATX and went with a 5000. Haven't looked back since and gold is being found without issue. I believe in quality and after using both I would definitely stick with Minelab any day. :Y: :cool:

katndog said:
Just bumping up this post, as i'd love to hear from some more people about this detector. I am also tossing up whether to get this, or 4500 or whites tdi?
Treasureman what did you decide in the end?
Havent taken the gold detector leap yet. Still rest with my relic deus.
After thought atx is off the list and minelab at the top. Considering sdc2300. But no solid decision

treasureman said:
Hey everyone.
Ive been watching some youtube clips of aussie gold finders using the atx and they are raving about it. Some huge chunks of gold finds too. So im wondering how the atx stacks up against somethimg like the minelabs 400 4500 5000? I may be interested in getting a gold detector and not sure what to go for. The atx appeals to me as ive owned garret before, never minelab.
How deep csn the atx find sizeable gold in mineralized ground?
You can try contact Ben, moderen miner, i am Sure he can answer most garrett atx questions.

Watching with interest.. sdc 2300 good condition used are starting to go sub $3000 and new with full warranty for about $3400.

Hi Treasureman! I use Garrett ATX in high mineralized ground. There are no gold nuggets in Ukraine but I using my MD for relics, antique and coins (roman). I used Minelab SE beafore and I bealive that ATX is much deeper. But, if you want to use ATX with discrimination - you will lost your "depth" and "sensivety" because of its pulse induction. If you have no need to use discrimination - you can be shure it is extreemly deep. I used it on a Black sea shores and find out that ATX can see a small chains (without locks). Now I spend my time in a forest and need ground ballanse MD, so if you interested I can sell it about 1400 or we can discuss a swap.