1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of when I had the drawbar lengthened on my CT, only 350mm but made a huge difference.
Could finally open the Prado rear door to get to the fridge [ very important]
1508144920_f99.jpg

Better to make them too long... Than too Short :rolleyes: ]:D

Here is a pic of some struts and their Positioning....Might help :Y:

1508223602_129_0907_06_zadventure_chaser_camping_trailercargo_box.jpg

1508223663_advtrl.jpg

This 'Type' of Camper Trailer is All the Rage at the Moment... In the USA. :Y:

LW... :rainbow:

Occasional_panner said:
What happens when you want to get a stubbie out of the fridge and the wife has gone to bed already?

It's not much bigger than a decent fridge ...................... just fill it with ice chuck the beer in and open the back door :Y:

I definately need to do something with my struts looking at your pics LW and comparing them to mine , mine look all wrong..
I pull the water tank out today so i could clean underneath and clean the rest fo the inside in prep for laying down rubber matting.
Gave me a chance to take off the inlet outlet tap and take it to bunnings to fit the right size the pipes and get the right fittings to install.
It was a good thing I did because when I set up every thing up and filled the tank with water I found I had a small leak under one corner..
Repaired and waiting for it to dry over night.
This is how it looked when I did a test run with the pump hooked up.
Just need to put a gate valve on the inlet hose to the tank and a hose on the over flow and it will be ready to go..

1508226856_image.jpg

nucopia said:
Been a good weekend, removed the cheap controller and rewired the the solar panels that arrived Friday and finished the mud flaps for the back of the Prado.
I got inside the camper and lifted up the bed frame to access underneath to work out a plan for what I need to do in the next few days.. I want to finish installing the inlet and out let hoses on the water tank and start laying out the wiring to run the water pump and LED lights..
Problem I found was the struts are not powerful enough to raise the steel frame and the ply wood.
I recon the struts are not suitable for the purpose I have them doing.. they are for one thing way too to weak, also not long enough bigger and maybe I have set them up in the wrong place to work efficiently in pushing up the bed frame.

Struts are Showa brand ,500mm extended length . I got them from a small Japanese van, they were used to hold up the rear tail gate..

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5588/1508062648_struts.jpg

If any one has some experience with gas struts and can give me some tips and suggestions , I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Nuc :)
i have 3 of these (did have 4 but cant find the other one) if they are any use to you they are way to heavy for what i need
written on them
SELECTLOC
600n
PO No PPU05217-2
Model No G500-10-C9A-100N
WWW.SELECTRIX.COM

Occasional_panner said:
What happens when you want to get a stubbie out of the fridge and the wife has gone to bed already?

Wife, Camping, No bloody Way 8.( .... My Fridge lives in the 4x4... Never in the Trailer... :)

LW... :rainbow:

Well we are back in Robinvale Vic on the farm until first week of Nov.
Raining tonight but nice to be here again.
My mate has promised me the Prado would be finished by the time we get back .. which will be good because when we do get back, I have 5 days to get the camper finished and ready to take to the NAPFA meeting at Wattle Flat ...
I have every thing I need to finish the fit out now, after the flea bay items I was waiting on arriving yesterday before we left.
I even had a forum member send me 3 x 600N gas struts he said he bought but never used and no longer needed. Gotta love this forum and how every one helps each other out :Y:
They are exactly what I need to replace the presents inefficient struts under the bed board. :Y:
I will fit them as soon as I get back home..
The water tank only needs the pump wiring connected and a hole drilled in the camper to locate the over flow hose.
A mate that is a boiler make is going to weld the draw bar extension for me, as soon as we get back..so I can buy and mount the tool box for the batteries and finish installing the all the electrical and wiring etc.
This is what was suggested by some one from another forum.
1508841321_drawbar_extention.jpg

I have the materials for the kitchen slid out, but I don't know when i get back if my next door neighbor has time to do it or we will do it at a later date..

I was thinking, that when I do the draw bar extension, it might be a good time to also change the tow coupling..
Found these on flea bay and wonder if any one has either one on their camper trailer or van.
So Hitch 1 or Hitch 2 ?

Hitch 1

1509927868_hitch_1.jpg

Hitch 2

1509927892_hitch_2.jpg