How DEEP is yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I dont agree with all your comments.

1.Owners who have bought both the Impact and CTX are saying on Finds Treasure Forum they both have the same depth in air tests,but the Impact goes deeper in the ground.
2.Unlike the Impact no one has put out a report on a forum how the CTX or Deus perform in Victoria,s GT in very high mineralisation.There were lots of comments last year about the Deus being used in moderate mineralisation around mining camps where there is a lot of rubbish Some negative comments back in May by forum members that the Impact is just another VLF and would be useless in our goldfields now just does not hold any water.Also I noticed no one even bothered to post one comment about my posts on the Impacts ability to handle very high mineralisation in our goldfields. So if the Impact gets ignored in Australia and I am the only owner do I really care? Of course not as I know the Impact is worth every cent I paid for it.
3.The Impact is a very versatile coin and relic hunting machine but also a stand alone machine for the GT able to be used for gold prospecting. The Impact shines in DEEP mode able to go the deepest for bigger deeper nuggets.GEN mode is good for finding the smaller shallower nuggets.In my view the Impact would be even better fitted with the IM40 coil for prospecting especially in more virgin ground.It is one of the few detectors able to accept a large coil without becoming too nose heavy.

If you have had a good detector for gold prospecting for the last 7 years you really don,t need to change it.I dont recall you ever saying what brand and model it is so why be so coy? Was it the Whites MXT? It only has a 14 Khz operating frequency so not so hot on gold as the Impact,s 20 Khz.
Actually I have been so pleased with the Impact,s good looks and performance I will also keep it for at least another 7 years.I did not edit it at 9.49 am I just clicked the edit button.Why is it saying I edited it?

Still published reports of deus finds and not just in the GT of small gold, and many gold finds by the ctx on the beaches....and until the day there are published consistent finds from the impact then I hate to be the one to break it to you but it's the impact that gets placed last.

It looks like a solid machine, but seriously, until it's got some decent published finds the stuff you write about the impact is just speculation.

You know the type of bloke I look up to? The one who shows technical understanding of the machine, ability to read the terrain, and most importantly, has the runs on the board.

oldtimerROB said:
Sorry I dont agree with all your comments.

If you have had a good detector for gold prospecting for the last 7 years you really don,t need to change it.I dont recall you ever saying what brand and model it is so why be so coy? Was it the Whites MXT? It only has a 14 Khz operating frequency so not so hot on gold as the Impact,s 20 Khz.
Actually I have been so pleased with the Impact,s good looks and performance I will also keep it for at least another 7 years.I did not edit it at 9.49 am I just clicked the edit button.Why is it saying I edited it?

The reason I have not mentioned the MXT is because this is your thread,

The frequency alone is not the deciding factor as to how sensitive a detector is, many other things come in to play, If the Impact would do the job better than the machine I have then I would of bought one, but it can't, The MXT has a proven history at finding thousands of ounces of Gold from America to Australia and it has been doing so for over 15 years followed closely by the GB2 and the GMT,

Like I said the Impact is a damn good machine but it is a Polar opposite to the CTX, you can't put the two in the same class because of how the CTX operates, A closer comparison for the Impact would be the V3 although it is too complex,

As for achieved depth in the ground, Coils of equal size on a detector can give differing results depending on the brand, factory coils are made to suit a multitude of applications so they are either too Hot/sensitive to the ground or they are not hot enough,

You started this thread And I have held off posting any figures because it is a Loaded question, If I had posted the figures that I get on a 330ml can squashed flat then the shite would of hit the fan 3 pages ago and you should of noticed that not many other folks have quoted figures either, with the Impact you are only getting 24 to 27 inches on a coke can in the air using the Deep Mode,

In the Air that machine should be hit that squashed can close to a metre, Now if it can't see it in the Air deeper than that, Then it is not going to see it deeper in the ground, You want to know why the Impact is not very popular in the Gold fields, for One Australia is Minelab Country, And Yes VLF's will work there but it is a heck of a lot easier with a PI, Most folks who only run PI machines would end up wrapping a VLF round a Tree before they would get the hang of it And Two the Impact runs out of Steam too soon, It is a Nice Machine and it is a Good Machine but they are not a Great machine, Yes It will find Gold but they should of moved that 20khz up to 40 to 50khz because 20 is too close to 14khz and I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference.

You seem offended because people don't agree with you about it, But Nokta/Makro make some first class Gold machines already so any serious prospector is going to choose one of the dedicated models over a multi-purpose machine, Going back to the CTX, It can handle fairly hot ground but it does not have the small Gold sensitivity that a single frequency machine has. But on the other hand it was never designed for prospecting but it is very good at just about every other form of detecting and get it on the beach and they perform almost as good as a PI,

Rob,,, If you like the machine then none of what we say matters, Again, It is a good machine and if your happy that's all that counts,

J.

Guys, I think that you're flogging a dead horse here.
If you're detecting for gold in the GT's heavily mineralised grounds, then why consider anything but a Minelab PI?
We don't need arguments over which wooden spooners are preferable.
I reckon that my old 4500 will do the crushed can to at least 1m as I have experienced to my dismay.

BigWave said:
Guys, I think that you're flogging a dead horse here.
If you're detecting for gold in the GT's heavily mineralised grounds, then why consider anything but a Minelab PI?
We don't need arguments over which wooden spooners are preferable.
I reckon that my old 4500 will do the crushed can to at least 1m as I have experienced to my dismay.

Yeah I agree, but he seems very put out that no one is using the Impact in the GT and that no one here is raving about it, thing is it was never meant to be a prospecting machine but yes it can see Gold,

I should of Tested the TDI SL, They don't Air test well, But once I did find the Subway Tunnel at about 5 or 6 feet down but that has huge Iron sections about 25 feet across so I guess it should of found them Lol.

J.

I reckon you blokes could start a new topic in the Treasure section tittled "Trash". No offence but this thread did start with a trash beer can from memory. After all the thread seems to have taken a turn towards treasure /trash finds and the machines best to do the job or not depending on your preference.

RM Outback said:
I reckon you blokes could start a new topic in the Treasure section tittled "Trash". No offence but this thread did start with a trash beer can from memory. After all the thread seems to have taken a turn towards treasure /trash finds and the machines best to do the job or not depending on your preference.

Actually RM, what you don't realize is that this is at least the 3rd forum where he has launched topics about CTX vs Impact and he won't be happy until someone agrees with him,

And it seems like he is trying to justify buying the Impact when he really wanted the CTX, because he is doing his best to make the Impact out to be the better machine out of the two, you've had to read a couple of posts about It, I have had 2 or 3 months worth of it, It does not matter how much you try to help it just never gets resolved.

J.

J, or John . About 25 % extra depth air on a 1 gram bit of gold on my machine between 20 and 14 Khz.The difference is considerable. Just for the record at double the price of an Impact, a CTX does not compete with the Impact as 1. it does not go any deeper according to owners who have both. 2.Impact revels in the hot stuff just as good as a PI(name me another VLF that does that) but a PI at 450% more money goes deeper as it should.3.You are mistaken about a CTX-Impact comparison by me on other forums,it was a Monster-Impact thread on another forum which was not even initiated by me but Steve Herchenbach.I simply made a comment that the Impact handles better than the Monster on goldfields.I wish you would get your facts right before implicating me in the future. 4. The comments by some blokes about this machine is fueled by their wish to simply make the Impact disappear because it is challenging Minelab,s cost/benefit ratio performance on the goldfields. What they are dreading is the Nokta product that will eventually put Minelab out of business. .I've got a degree in Mechanical engineering at a Melbourne University so before some of these blokes start knocking my ability to produce accurate reports on detector performance they should look at their own education and ability to reason clearly and concisely.And what a stupid statement to make "Australia is Minelab territory". Do they think that is going to carry any weight with me? All new detectors should be solely judged on their merits and performance and not bring country of origin into it.Lets make this forum more professional like Finds Treasure and the Dankowski Forums so members can discuss different aspects about detectors without rude interruptions.

That's fine Rob but as much as I like VLF machines there is no VLF on the planet that can handle the GT's hot dirt like a PI can, they will work there but with a dramatic loss of depth, At one time VLF's are all people had in Australia before ML bought out their SD Series, And many other VLF's will work there but you will not get the depth that a 450% machine can and will provide,

Try running your machine when the ground meter is reading 95-99% Maxed out where even PI's groan, I know for a fact my machine works there and it will find the fine surface Gold too, In lesser soils my machine and the Impact and the CTX will match a PI for depth but in such soil a PI would be a waste of energy and Money, I have proved this over and over with the 4 PI machines I have owned in the same ground where my VLF went deeper, But a person does not buy a PI to hunt in benign soils, their soul purpose is to run in highly magnetic soils full of hot rocks and cold rocks and in Basalt ridden areas where a VLF will howl like a Wolf.

There is no conspiracy regarding people wanting to make the Impact disappear, The Impact never was a threat to Minelabs Gold getting abilities and no other brand is either, You need to look at the facts and ask your self how many people here and/or on Steves forum own an Impact and use it as their main prospecting machine, Out of about 20,000 people so far your the only one I know who insists it is better than the CTX and now better than an SDC/GPX where it rivals a $6000 machine in Hot ground,

Again like I said it is a good machine, but it s not a great machine because if it was as you say then 10,000 members here would be selling their ML PI machines tomorrow, That's not going to happen any time soon. So I guess they know something that you might of over looked.

I wish you well with it,

J.

John,I have always said PI,s go deeper but all I am saying is the new Impact revels in 95 % of the GT,s area as far as mineralisation goes.The other 5 % I will concede is ML territory but is it worth the pain of shelling out so much money for them ? If you read my posts carefully I have always said the Impact offers more value per dollar than a ML PI but never said they were better..As far as digging to extreme depths for a nugget in realy hard ground ? - it is really out of the question for me so a PI would be of no use for me as my limit is about 8 inches,so leave it up to the young bucks and professional prospectors who need that extra grunt.
As I have said before no one has proven by field testing that the CTX can handle hot ground like an Impact can.So get some reports into the forum you lazy bum CTX owners.Again what I am saying the Impact offers far better value per dollar than the CTX, what we engineers call a cost/benefit ratio analysis.
95-99 % on the meter is right next to extreme mineralisation (100%) and I personally think PI,s cant handle that amount of mineralisation or are very difficult to operate them at that level.The Impact in COG mode also can be GB,d in that type of ground and can find surface nuggets.
Everyone has a favorite pussy, Steve H swears by the Gold Bug 2 as the best ever built although the Racer 2 and Impact are far superior.I don't know where you got that 20,000 figure as the Impact is very popular in Europe,maybe in Australia. Its true I am the only bloke using the Impact in goldfields-I've been on every forum trying to spread my experiences about the Impact but been on the receiving end in Australia,and no one is listening.Anyway Australia I have now given up as real hardened Minelab redneck territory.But if you consider that Australia and USA are heavily biased toward Minelabs and Europeans are only using it in parks and beaches,then it all starts to make sense.

Why not start up a finds thread Rob? Be good to see what type of success you're having.

People buy certain detectors for numerous reasons, I bought a CTX because I paid for it with finds made with my $100 Aldi detector. :Y:

Dollar value is quite subjective in my opinion. My CTX has paid for itself numerous times over and the enjoyment of detecting with it is priceless. How do you put a dollar value on that? Actually my CTX is coming close to paying off my gold detectors for me as well. :D Another few $1000 cash ins and my hobby will be paid for.

I am a Minelab fan boy through and through I will admit that but a redneck, dude thats harsh all my detectors have paid for them selves except my monster as I have only spent a few hours behind it so far. I love gold and the money it gets me and if your beloved Nokta came out with a machine that beats the GPZ then I will drop Minelab in a heart beat a buy a Nokta even if it means Minelab go out of business as I just want the best tool in my hands its that simple. I would love to see some of your results with the Impact ie depth and size.

Lol, mate I have removed my reply for the benefit of others, Just go and do some research so you actually understand what you are talking about, The history and the facts speak for them selves.

Heatho said:
Why not start up a finds thread Rob? Be good to see what type of success you're having.

People buy certain detectors for numerous reasons, I bought a CTX because I paid for it with finds made with my $100 Aldi detector. :Y:

Dollar value is quite subjective in my opinion. My CTX has paid for itself numerous times over and the enjoyment of detecting with it is priceless. How do you put a dollar value on that? Actually my CTX is coming close to paying off my gold detectors for me as well. :D Another few $1000 cash ins and my hobby will be paid for.

yep...I sort of judge value for dollar by what's in the jar at the end of each year

oldtimerROB said:
Everyone has a favorite pussy, Steve H swears by the Gold Bug 2 ........

Haha this absolutely cracked me up......This has to be my all time favorite typo/autocorrect on PA, either that or its the funniest line I ever heard about detecting.

Can't argue with that logic though....We all have a favorite....

Heatho, I think you somehow missed the point.I was refering to using the CTX in goldfields,especially here in the GT.Good luck if you found gold nuggets but all the information about the CTX on goldfields from other forums points to the fact they cannot even ground balance it due to the high mineralisation. Its a lot easier to find coins and jewelry at the beach around Sydney than finding gold nuggets on our goldfields.I recently went to Wedderburn for 4 days and found nothing but silver foil.I did partially clean out the site 35 years ago and found medium sized nuggets there but I thought it was worth a try.

oldtimerROB said:
Heatho, I think you somehow missed the point.I was refering to using the CTX in goldfields,especially here in the GT.Good luck if you found gold nuggets but all the information about the CTX on goldfields from other forums points to the fact they cannot even ground balance it due to the high mineralisation. Its a lot easier to find coins and jewelry at the beach around Sydney than finding gold nuggets on our goldfields.I recently went to Wedderburn for 4 days and found nothing but silver foil.I did partially clean out the site 35 years ago and found medium sized nuggets there but I thought it was worth a try.

Rob, as I said before, a bloke called Goldhound bought a CTX to speciffically prospect for gold.

Have a read of this link on Detector Prospector, Goldhound is an Aussie who has been very successful in finding gold over the years.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/797-ctx-3030-on-gold-nuggets-tips-on-settings/

A lot of people who own a CTX really don't have much of an idea on how to set them up properly for different detecting scenarios. Also finding gold in the goldfields or gold jewellery on Sydney beaches has about the same difficulty. Sometimes I'll find gold with my gold detectors in a goldfield within 5 minutes of getting there and get several pieces in a day. I've never found more than one piece of gold jewellery in a day.

I haven't taken my CTX gold prospecting yet, I may in the future though.

Anyway, not many people will use a CTX for gold hunting, I also prefer just to use my gold detectors for gold but it has been used by some people for gold and they have been successful. I really wouldn't recommend it for gold hunting though, but that is just my opinion.

1511831198_westonia_dig.jpg

Latest posts