Initial test run....feedback appreciated

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have made a customized Walbanker and recently tested it in slaty creek. Setup near camp ground 3 and feed in the gravel.
After about an hour I did a clean up. Lots of black sand by then.
The result was a few fly dirt specs in the pan.

Being that well turned over area of the creek I was not expecting larger bits, just a test run.

If I was able to trap the fly dirt sizes would that mean I was catching most of any gold in that dig spot?
or possibly were bigger pieces thrown out? Your thoughts !
The catch pan below sluice was accidently tipped over before I could check it.

Not letting me upload a vid of it running :mad:

1507536258_img_0707_moment_2.jpg

Thanks for your feedback !

GG

Well she looks a goer m8. My front and back legs are the same length. Some often think because the front is lower, they can be made shorter....
I've had many accosions where the ideal set spot is very steep, thus needing extra length at the front.hepls to get the tailings away hey. I like to run the cable tray about hip height. This helps the need of bending down.
1.5m of sucker hose might be the go up to your banker, instead of solid pvc. Show us some lay out pictures
yeah if your catching flour gold up high, its a good sign, the higher your cating it... the better.
Believe me, mods will always follow.
The more you get used to it and run it, you will work out what needs tunning. Im not a beleiver in the the pan at the end to check for losses. Way to much water volume! Large tub maybe. Do a quick sample pan at different depths. And work out what your average should be from there. As some times its deep, and somes its shallow. And it varies from place to place. Even good gold shallow and then zip for two feet and then reapears. Catching a lot of black sand is a good sign as well.
hunt down an old b.b.q mate that Wiltshire made, they are great for flicking on the cable tray. Good spring action. Stainless as well.

Only comment I can make is have 2 sizes of mesh in
your end plates.
One that is thinner for those area's with low black sands,
Another that is thicker for those pesky area's with high black sands.
And stop every half hour for a quick cleanup.
Apart from that, You are out there doing it and that is all that matters.
Oh, Having the front and rear legs two different lenght's gives you much more
freedom of choice in those step situations.
well done on a very nice build.
You will work it out. :Y: :Y: :Y:

mudgee hunter said:
Well she looks a goer m8. My front and back legs are the same length. Some often think because the front is lower, they can be made shorter....
I've had many accosions where the ideal set spot is very steep, thus needing extra length at the front.hepls to get the tailings away hey. I like to run the cable tray about hip height. This helps the need of bending down.
1.5m of sucker hose might be the go up to your banker, instead of solid pvc. Show us some lay out pictures
yeah if your catching flour gold up high, its a good sign, the higher your cating it... the better.
Believe me, mods will always follow.
The more you get used to it and run it, you will work out what needs tunning. Im not a beleiver in the the pan at the end to check for losses. Way to much water volume! Large tub maybe. Do a quick sample pan at different depths. And work out what your average should be from there. As some times its deep, and somes its shallow. And it varies from place to place. Even good gold shallow and then zip for two feet and then reapears. Catching a lot of black sand is a good sign as well.
hunt down an old b.b.q mate that Wiltshire made, they are great for flicking on the cable tray. Good spring action. Stainless as well.

Thanks for the tips mudgee hunter,
Sometimes things are right in front of you but you can't see them!

I will change the hard pipe setup. Yes..It will give better flow to spray bar :Y:
The legs are from an old pair of crutches and are adjustable up/down and front to back but the extra height wouldn't go astray.
Need the BBQ mate or similar I found that out straight away!

Trial and error. Learning and adjustments :Y:

Cheers GG

Some more pics :Y:
Already removed hard pipe plumbing, mh Thanks!

:Y: Time to update his gumboots Ballart_gold but they are cool though :)

1507612355_img_0755.jpg

1507612461_img_0759.jpg

1507612487_img_0763.jpg

Tathradj, Do you mean reduce the length of the heavy expanded mesh and replace with smaller mesh in top section under the rifles? Thanks

Cheers GG

ballarat_gold said:
Nice build mate.

Did u see many people working slatey while you were out there .?

There was a few campers in each campground. Only saw one family group with a pan in hand at camp 3. The ford was still collapsed.
Water was a steady flow but not that high.

Cheers
GG

Looks the goods GG, still gathering materials so you are miles ahead of me.
Give me a shout if & when you are heading up this way again

mudgee hunter ,,what is this your saying...im at a loss trying to work out .........//////////?????..........hunt down an old b.b.q mate that Wiltshire made, they are great for flicking on the cable tray. Good spring action. Stainless as well

sorry had a DERRRRR moment just worked out what your talking about :eek: