The Toughest of the Tough

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought the be all and end all of vacuum Flasks, This one is made by Stanley and it is the biggest of the new Master Series and I kid you not this thing is a Beast and I read in one of the reviews that this Flask still kept drinks warm 3 days later. The inside is 2 layers thick and so is the outside, So I am testing it over the next few days first off I am going to check it at 48 hours although Stanley rate it for 40 hours and then I will test it at 32 hours and then 24 and finally 12 hours,

I have quite a few of Stanley's Flasks including a mint condition Charcoal lined model which is how they use to be made, but Stanley now claim that the newer version of the famous Stanley Classic Green flask have better heat retention so I am also testing it out this is my Original model made in 1979 Made in USA, and I also have a Camo Real Tree ( Wet Lands ) Bull Rush Patten 0.71 litre food flask which is also Charcoal lined that I bought way back and have never used made in 1998 also Made in USA, And I have the modern version which is also on test, And Also I have the Stanley 100th Anniversary 1.1 QT / 1 litre model which is also on test at the moment, And also the modern 1.4 QT / 1.3 litre version of the Green Classic which is also on test

Enjoy,,

John.

Check out the Video in this first link lower down the page

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/productID.5093442900

This is a Video of a German guy giving the new Stanley master series a bit of a workout in an unusual way, I am telling you won't believe how tough these new flasks are, They are Brutal, So If you like the Ultimate Gear this One is for You,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyC74TcF07s

Yeah I broke a few Glass flasks over the years too, by the late weekend I will have tested 8 different models, So when I have finished I will post the results because depending on the size their hour rating also changes,

John.

Well I have tested 6 of these Flasks from a 38 year old 1979 Vintage model known as the Aladdin STANLEY in perfect condition which has Charcoal packed solid between the inner bottle and the outer skin and they have a much smaller opening compared to the Modern version and they also do not have a rubber seal in the Cap, and one thing I don't like about the older models is that they have a over lapped seam on the outside about an inch down from where the cup sits which can rust at this area and the Bright Chrome Base can become pitted and also Rust where it joins the main Tube, One thing I do like is the lack of need for a rubber seal and the fact that prior to the late 80's/90's they did not have a handle the rust where they joined the body or to have the welds break,

The newer versions do not have that seem below the cup and all the Chrome work is now replaced with Stainless Steel So no more Rust problems, happy days :Y:
If anyone prefers the Vintage look/style then I would look on the net or in shops for the 1.1 QT / 1L 100th Anniversary model because they do not have the handle to break and it has a cup like the Vintage models which has a rolled top unlike the normal Classic series, One thing all this testing has laid to rest is the tails of how the older ones were better, "they are Not" If anything the newer ones stay slightly hotter and they don't have seems that rust, Some of the Anniversary models have handles some don't.

This is the Stanley 100th Anniversary 1.1 QT / 1L model ( Non Handle )
1507836360_stanley_100th.jpg

This Is my Aladdin Stanley 1.1 QT / 1L 1979 Vintage model
1507836571_my_vintage-green-aladdin-stanley-32oz-950ml-steel-thermos-flask-a-944c-made-in-us.jpg

Here is the tests so far but test the Beast is going to take a little longer,

All flasks were primed at Temps that were Between
97*c / 206.6*f to 99*c / 210.2*f. All Water was Heated to 99*c /210.2*f
Any lower 2nd Test figures should have 2*c / 3.6*f added to that figure
because there is a Temp drop due to the removing and refilling process,
Noting that the Flask got / gets hotter each time you repeat the process until the maximum is reached.

NOTE:- you will see that the 2 larger models being the 1.4 QT / 1.32L and the 2 QT / 1/9L give slightly
Hotter results due to their extra capacity.

All Temperatures were taken with a Calibrated Catering thermometer and the use of a Laser thermometer
with a 0.1*c / 0.18*f variation between both Thermometers.

The Modern 1.1 QT Stanley Classic Green After 24 hrs @ 99*c / 210.2*f
first Test 66.2*c / 151.16*f
2nd Test 65.2*c / 149.36*f

ABOVE FLASK After 12 hrs
first Test 79.3*c / 174.74*f
2nd Test 78.0*c / 172.4*f

ABOVE FLASK After 34 hrs
first Test 52.0*f / 125.6*f

The Modern 100th Anniversary 1.1 QT Vintage Green after 24 hrs @ 99*c / 210.2*f
first Test 62.6*c / 144.68*f

ABOVE FLASK after 12 hrs
first Test 77.2*c / 170.96*f - 171.00*f
2nd Test 77.7*c / 171.86*f

( Aladdin ) STANLEY 1.1 QT (Classic) Vintage 1979 Flask. After 24 hrs. @ 99*c / 210.2*f
first Test 64.8*f / 148.64*f ( Charcoal Filled ).

The Modern Stanley Classic Green 1.4 QT /1.32L Flask, After 12 hrs @ 99*c /210.2*f
first Test 82*c / 179.6*f

The Modern STANLEY Classic 2 QT / 1.9L Classic Green, After 24 hrs.
first Test 66.0*c / 150.8*f ADD 2*c / 3.6*f to these Results due to the water Temp starting at 97*c / 206.6,
because it lost 2*c / 3.6*f in the Filling process due to the size of the Flask.

ABOVE FLASK After 12 hrs.
first Test 80,0*c / 176.36*f ADD 2*c / 3.6*f to these Results

Modern STANLEY Classic 24oz / 0.71L Food Jar after 12 hrs. @ 92*c / 197.6*f
first Test 67*c+ / 152.6*f+,

FILLED WITH Lamb, Pasta and Veggie Stew, with the Viscosity of Semtex ( Not Watery )
The Reason for the "+" sign is because the deeper you eat down in the flask the hotter it Gets,

To Get an Idea of how hot this is, It is equal to boiling a kettle and making your self a Hot cup of
instant Coffee and then adding Milk and sugar, and is bordering on being uncomfortable,
So you "Will" burn your mouth, , Be Warned. But for those Cold days in the Hills this Flask will give
you a happy feeling when you get back to camp.

Any way I hope this helps,

John.

I still have a couple of old stanleys including one I bombed a moving ute with from a crop duster back in the 80's :D

Nowadays I just use a billy or my Kelly kettle as I find it keeps the water hotter for longer. Eg: I used my billy at least 3 to 4 times a day, every day. Each time I use it the water is pretty much the same temp, never seems to change.....go figure!

Yeah I know what you mean, even when I am at home because I drink a lot of coffee I fill the 2QT Stanley and that does me throughout the day and night and If I fill it during the evening it is hot when I wake up, boiling the jug 12-14 times a day really bumps up the power bill of a 3 month period,

John.

stoyve said:
Ha ha, l love your dedication and enthusiasm John.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Steve :)

Well Steve, I bought the big Stanley 2 QT/ 1 L flask back in 2008 because I had a brand new Thermos Brand 2 L flask and I had used it once and I had just cleaned it and I was just putting it back in its box and the bugga shot straight through and hit the kitchen floor and it broke a 2" limp of plastic from around the base edge any way it had a life time Guarantee so a year or so went by and I phoned them and they sent me a new one, Only this time it had a 10 year Guarantee :( :N:
So I gave it to my brother,

Anyway I bought the Big Green Stanley and peoples reviews keep saying they are not as good as the old ones and I thought $%& not again, so I bought their 1.1L flask and 6.6L Cooler combo ( I Love IT ) back in 2010 and last year I saw some on offer on Ebay so I bought another set and then 2 X 24oz Food flasks and then I saw more and that lead to me buying the 1.4 QT/ 1.32L ( Nice Flask Stopper Sux ) and then I saw the 100th Anniversary model and they wanted about $180.00 for it, I thought %$& That ? anyways last week they dropped the price down to 29.99 / $50.50 so I grabbed one, then I see some clown selling them for 200.00 / $336.82 so I thought they are getting rare so I ordered another on for 50 bucks, lol.

All this rubbish about people saying the new ones are not as good as the old Aladdin Stanley models is a load of crap and to prove the point I went and bought an old one in perfect condition in that picture back up the page a bit, And its all because the older ones were made in the USA and the New ones are made in China, The truth is the new ones are lighter and thicker metal and they are All Stainless Steel where the old ones would rust as soon as the paint got chipped and the Old ones do not keep the heat quite as good as the new ones do,

So then I saw the Black BEAST in that Video and thought %$& Me, So I ordered one, I have been testing it since yesterday and So far I am impressed with the way it holds it's Temperature baring in mind in the last 32 Hours I have had to open it Twice by removing the lid to take a temperature reading for 10 to 15 minutes at a time and it is still hotter than any of the others, They rate it to 40 hours, Well I am predicting that it will still be hotter in 48 hours than anything else on the market can do in 24 hours, and if it is I am going for 72 hours next (3 Days)

I can already and safely say That this Flask Is the Engel, Toyota of the Flask World, It is painted in Black Wrinkle finish Paint and the Fixed Hand I was in two minds about but it makes a lot of sense because it stops it rolling around or off the Seat, And the Rubber base in the cup is a nice touch, I am telling ya this flask is the Dogs DooDads, It's a real Bruiser. when you knock on it with ya Knuckles it makes a loud CLONK not a tinging sound like all the other Stainless Flasks.

To be Honest I think it is the Best ever. :eek: :Y: :cool:

John.

1507946010_masters-vac-bottle-1_4qt-foundry-black-reddot_main.jpg

Well The Beast is rated to keep drinks hot for 40 hours and at 48 hours it is still hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns in less than 5 seconds and it is now close to the same Temp as the other Stanley flasks are after 24 hours, remembering that I have opened this flask 3 times now and each time it was for 10 to 15 minutes, so if I had left it closed it would be 4 or 5 degrees hotter.

So now I am heading for 60 hours and then 72, 84 and finally 96 hours, After that I am going to reheat it again and fill it up again and let it got for 96 hours straight or 4 days,

John.

Simmo said:
Gotta get one of these. I really appreciate the in depth review too.
How much did you pay for yours??

G'day Simmo, I paid 50.62 for mine which is about $85.25c at the current exchange rate, but if you can't get one around that price let me know and I will send you one, Ok.

Well I have just finished testing the Beast Opening it every 12 hours to check the temperature baring in mind I have opened it up by removing the lid and cup 5 times for between 10 to 15 minutes at a time so it was kept open for a total time of 50 minutes to 75 minutes ( An Hour and a Quarter ), I opened it @ 12hr, 24hr, 32hr, 48hr, 60hr and 72hrs, I have done this for 72 hours for 3 days and 3 nights in total, at the end of that 72 hours it held or retained 51.21% of it's heat at the start of testing and the water is still bordering on being too Hot to put your hand in without making you jump.

I was using just boiled water so the results would be the same for Black Coffee and I am sure if it was filled with hot Soup that it would stay hotter even longer because I tried that with another flask once and it nearly took the skin off my mouth,

If I had not kept opening it I think that it would have stayed even hotter, Under normal use conditions over a 24 hour period your coffee is going to be as hot just as it would be as if you were making it fresh at home, and although the Classic Flasks are legendary, The Beast performs like nothing I have ever seen unless you compare it to owning one of those berco canteen boilers that turns it's self on and off all the time via a Thermostat and a mains power supply.

I love the Build quality of this Flask, It is rock solid and seriously Tough, even the Cup Is Stainless Steel inside and out and it also Is Thermal where it keeps drinks hot longer than any other thermal flask Cups, Due to how well made The Beast is I doubt that who ever buys one of these will ever buy another flask again and most likely they will hand it down to the next generation. Yes they are a bit dearer than the rest but nothing else on the planet performs like The Beast and I doubt they ever will.

Now I am going to Test it without opening it for 72 hours / 3 Days-3 Nights and see how it goes,

Hope this Helps,

John.

Well I retested the Beast over 72 hours without opening it and it just gave it a slight rise in temperature by about 0.75*c

Over a 12 hour period it only dropped a small amount from 99*c down to 86.1*c / 186.98*f . I am pretty happy with that, It costs a little bit more but some models of the of the Classic Green range can hold their own too coming within 8*c/13*f of the beast, but the shear Toughness of the Beast is what makes it stand out,

The older model Aladdin Stanley's were stuffed tight with Charcoal Dust which helped to make them a bit tougher compared to the newer Classic Green Flasks, Where the newer models have thicker stainless steel shells allowing for the Charcoal to be phased out back in 2009, The Older flasks did not hold the heat any better and from what I have seen are just average over a 24hr period compared to the modern versions, But the Beast is Hotter and a heck of a lot Tougher,

If you follow this link and checkout how they evolved and read the facts about the differences between the old and the New models, as you get down the page you will see an old flask that got run over my a Semi that is back at their HQ and after all these years it still has the Coffee inside it,

https://www.stanley-pmi.com/blogs/o...hats-really-changed-in-the-unbreakable-bottle

John.

Well I left the hot water in the Beast for 5 days and 2 hours / 122 hours and it was still 37.2*c / 98.96*f in an ambient temperature of 19 to 20*c, all up I think that is pretty amazing, I have never known a Flask to hold it's heat for that long before, anyways that about it's as far as the testing goes.

HH.

John.

Latest posts