Threshold setting question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Throwing the question out there as there are some really really smart guys who understand this better than me. The simple or complicated answer will be fine.

What adjustment can I make to my threshold and what difference to the detector audio signal does this make?

More specifically if I turn my Threshold UP although noisy will this increase the point my detector gives a tonal/ID signal or lower it?

The F75 is as chatty as an alcoholic uncle on Xmas day starting a 3 day bender anyway so I'm not concerned about the sheer amount of sound, I'm looking for the sweet spot in tonal break to increase the amount of tonal signals reaching the audio.

As an aside I'll be doing some experiments with this and the gain settings on various targets on various ground types today but some guidance will surely be helpful. I uderstand gain but the piece of the puzzle I'm missing is the relationship between the threshold setting and tonal break. Probably a simple answer but I can't get my head around it.

Cheers GT.

The lower you set your threshold the easier it is for you to hear subtle changes in the ground, but most of all the better it will signal on very faint targets, If you turn it up too much you won't hear them faint signals,

But in hot ground that is changing all the time you can turn it up on the detector but lower your headphone volume to eliminate any unwanted signals, personally I run mine very low and by doing that in clean ground it adds a lot of depth just like it does using a GPX,

hope that helps.

John.

Thanks John.

I've definitely tread into some murky ground now....Just when I thought it was safe I've being experimenting with iron masking, setting some known targets up and I've reached some interesting conclusions, I'm heading back to some old sites for some further testing. There's probably more time to be spent understanding that effect than threshold now I've waded into it.

OldGT said:
Thanks John.

I've definitely tread into some murky ground now....Just when I thought it was safe I've being experimenting with iron masking, setting some known targets up and I've reached some interesting conclusions, I'm heading back to some old sites for some further testing. There's probably more time to be spent understanding that effect than threshold now I've waded into it.

Well when it come to unmasking that is best done with the gain set to about just above 1/2 and 3/4s of the Gain that you normally use and just slow down your sweep speed to about 3/4s of what you normally sweep at in order to give the signal a chance to get in the ground and wait for the return signal to come back, So if you are playing with the unmasking that's the time to set your threshold low so you can listen for faint signals and not having the threshold distracting you, So both the unmasking and the threshold will work hand in hand while you stay focussed,

hope that helps.

John.

Been a long day..Ground is getting pretty darn solid again..Got some deep coins out though, nothing amazing, but ive learnt a few things, when you think your mastering things it's time to reset and grow a little ...Set up a proper test bed for any future purchases....Cheers for the help RR.

Latest posts