dead horse creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has been to dead horse creek in Gippsland. I have been there a couple of times and have found very little. 2 tiny colours. Any advice? I dug down to a blue grey clay should i try panning that. I tried a little. Very sticky. Any ideas?

There's a guy that goes there nearly every day after work. Or he used too. I havnt been up that way for 6 months. So you have probably been working on the ground he has worked before. I've highbanked and dug down a good 4-5 feet before there and the results weren't that good. But I did get gold. That area produced a few thousand ounces in the old days. I also tried Livehorse which runs into Deadhorse. Pretty deep to get near the bottom and results were also poor. Id probably look at Hawthorn creek and try some crevicing if you venture into areas that most aren't prepared to go to you should do ok.

I dug down about 3-4 feet. Thats when I hit the blue clay. I have read that it produced a bit in its time. I was disappointed with what I found.

I was near the main old shaft. Do you think it would be worth looking in the old dirt piles? Im not sure if they are tailings or just dirt from the tunnel

bumdags said:
I was near the main old shaft. Do you think it would be worth looking in the old dirt piles? Im not sure if they are tailings or just dirt from the tunnel
The area was mined as well as worked because it was a tertiary deposit (old river system) Most of the mullock heaps are from them working the tertiary deposit. If you can find gravels with smooth waterworn rocks then id process that as you may find something among it.

Cool thanks. Was hoping it might have been overlooked but by what you have mentioned it might get hit pretty hard. Shame

Latest posts