Detech DD 15 ultimate thoughts / settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Nenad
I'm looking at a new coil for my 2200d, I can run a 14" NF mono without too muvh problem most of the time, but have found a good patch adjacent to a very mineralised area where it just moans & groans, I have also used an old Terracota 14" DD coiltek on the 2200.
I'm interested in your opinion on any improvements you think I may achieve going from the the 14DD to the new 15" spiral DD.

cheers
Lee

Hi Lee,

I haven't used a 2200 for many years now, so can only speculate.

On my 4500 comparing 14" DD Pro and 15" DD detech, the Detech ran smoother, had a bit more depth but more noticeable was the sensitivity increase. It seems as good if not better than an 11" DD.

The 2200 has a reputation as being a DD only machine, but seemed to love the extra sensitivity of the DD pro coils, as long as you used a regulated power supply. So a Detech Spiral DD doesn't have the extra current draw of the Pro coils, but is a lot more sensitive to small targets compared to a conventional DD, but still runs a lot quieter than a mono coil, sooo there's quite a few variables thrown in the mix there for me to say with any certainty. But I'd say if you are generally able to run a 14" NF mono on your 2200d, then a 15" DD detech should handle any of your hotter patches with ease.

Hi Nenad
Thanks for your input, gives me some food for thought.
Since I posted this thread I have made a new acquisition, a deal too good to pass up, a GPX4500 for $1550.00, with 17"x11" NF, Joey & 25"NF coils.

I run the SD on a little ripper & would like to use the same for the Gpx, I need to make a short conversion lead from 4 pin to 5 pin, are you able to advise on the correct wiring for the lead ???
cheers
Lee

I think you might need more than a conversion lead Lee. I contacted Ismael about this awhile ago & from memory I'm pretty sure he said it could be done but apart from the lead an internal adjustment was required also? Might be better to touch base with him to check???

mbasko said:
I think you might need more than a conversion lead Lee. I contacted Ismael about this awhile ago & from memory I'm pretty sure he said it could be done but apart from the lead an internal adjustment was required also? Might be better to touch base with him to check???

Thanks mate
will do.
cheers
Lee

This coil has recently touched down in Australia.
http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/detech-15-super-deep-mono-coil/

Detech have labelled it as being a Spiral Plus winding, but what the changes actually are, I'm not exactly sure.

I did a bit of testing with it up at Mt. Crawford, mainly on buried targets and some air tests and I was most impressed.
It seemed every bit as sensitive as the 14" Ultra, but had more punch on bigger targets.

1507859879_15_super_deep_mono.jpg

The two times I had it out the weather was really terrible. First trip was freezing cold, rain, and I actually got hail in my jacket pocket as I was running back to the ute.
So I gave it a quick run across the saturated ground, and it was very stable. Ticking all the boxes so far! Second trip was really really windy and EMI was up, so I pulled the old 4500 out (forcing me to run in Enhance), and it was very stable. I detected for a short while and dug a nice variety of targets, from tiny lead fragments to large bullets at very good depth. The clarity of signals even on the faintest responses was the real standout feature. Just had to get it across some gold...

I then took it across and used it on my way to and from the Laanecoorie Bash. I pulled into a spot around 3:30pm, so only had a few hours. I first went over the same few mullocks heaps where I pulled 5 bits with the 5000 and 12" Evo on a previous trip. No joy. So I just started circling around the adjacent ground. Ended up with 4 bits for 1.19g, smallest was 0.1g, and nearly a perfect ball.

Sunday headed for home, I was in two minds where to go, but decided to return to the same spot for a better look. I parked the car in a different location, and noticed some overgrown heaps right next to the road. Decided to grab the 2300 for a run, and pinged two bits in short time, then after 8 bits of lead, it was back to the car to grab the 45 and 15" detech. I walked in from a different angle and for the life of me couldn't find the same area I was working. I then came across a spot I was familiar with as I had found some gold with the SDC there a couple years ago. I'd put everything across that spot and couldn't get anything else. It was very loose river wash, so I always thought there had to be something out of range for the SDC there. I got a very faint blip in the threshold, and after scraping off a bit of ground it became a signal. Out popped this one. After digging tiny stuff, a piece like this feels like a 3grammer haha, but it was only 0.77g.

1507861641_super_deep_gold_.7g.jpg

I then went for a while not digging much and again on the edge of an old timers hole got a very faint signal (probably would have missed this without the sP01 enhancer). In a little ball of clay out popped a flat 0.17g bit.

Then targets became scarce. It was getting warmer and I needed a drink top-up. I was in two minds whether to go home or grab the SDC for another half hour. I ended up just walking/swinging very slowly back to the car. I swing across the base of a tree over an accumulation of leaf/bark mulch, and got a little dipping signal. It was the nice deeper one I was hoping for. I am so used to digging scrappy reefy bits from the hills, when I dig a nice flat clean piece like this it feels like a 4 grammer! But at 1.68g I'm still a happy camper.

1507862554_super_deep_gold_1.6g.jpg

The final tally of 7 bits for the 15" Detech, teamed up with the old faithful 4500 and SteelPhase enhancer.

1507862625_super_deep_gold_7_bits.jpg

Great coil. Can't wait to see what it'll do in Fine Gold on the 5000 :eek:

Nenad, can you tell me what the difference is between this new coil and the 15" Ultimate spiral coil?

Ok, but the ultimate can be used in both dd and mono.

Why have the ultimate that can do both and now bring out this super deep mono?

diggin4gold said:
Ok, but the ultimate can be used in both dd and mono.

Why have the ultimate that can do both and now bring out this super deep mono?

Pretty sure that when you use the 15" Ultimate (or any DD) coil in mono, you are only using half of the coil. so its not 15" any more, its 7.5".
But I could be wrong.......Nenad?

That's correct Dave. When you use a a DD in mono it is really only a pseudo mono & operates on only half of the DD coil.
I think the big draw card of the 15" Ultimate Spiral DD is supposed to be better sensitivity vs. a traditional DD coil but still giving good stability & depth in harsh ground. Something that can be difficult to achieve with the new type mono coils on some ground.
A bloke could have a hundred coils & still think that they need another one :lol:
That's the good thing with the SDC & GPZ - don't have to worry about coil choice too much.
Be interesting to see how Stinky Pete goes with the 15" Super Deep Mono on the QED.

Using same timings, a Mono will always go deeper than the same sized DD as the transmit winding is a lot wider, this is why most people use Monos as their primary coil.

Where things get interesting is in not so hot ground where the DD can run Normal (non-smoothing) timings, but the Mono still needs to be in Enhance or Fine Gold. The mono will still get the best depth on sub grammers, but on bigger gold my money would be on the DD running normal.

With these two 15 Detechs, the mono is over 100g lighter, another reason why some would prefer the Mono.

Re DD coils using the gpx coil switch, the DD always transmits using the left transmit D winding. All that changes is the receive.

DD - receive is on the right side winding
Mono - receives off both sides of the coil
Cancel - as per mono mode but the two side are out of phase, one side +, one side -.

So actually, DD position is only using half the coil, Mono position uses about 3/4 of the coil - half to transmit, full to receive.

I bought one of these coils from Nenad before my last GT trip. I arrived in Tarnagulla on a Friday to pouring rain. Saturday morning, still raining I went into Dunolly for supplies. On the way out, back to Tarnagulla, the rain had briefly stopped so I investigated a track on the outskirts of Dunolly, got the 5000 out with the 15" Detech. After a couple of tin cans I got a very loud response, which I almost decided was trash, but dug it anyway.

I dug down about 20cm, the target was out and when I got it into the scoop, it looked like a very old rusty nail, but I saw a glint of yellow, here's the result.....

1507943448_20170827_141052.jpg

Clean weight 2.95 gr 5 minutes later down came the rain for most of the day. So, roughly 20 minutes of use with this coil certainly impressed me :)

Since then, I've had a bail ring and loop welded to the small end and my wife wears it round her neck.

PhaseTech said:
Re DD coils using the gpx coil switch, the DD always transmits using the left transmit D winding. All that changes is the receive.

DD - receive is on the right side winding
Mono - receives off both sides of the coil
Cancel - as per mono mode but the two side are out of phase, one side +, one side -.

So actually, DD position is only using half the coil, Mono position uses about 3/4 of the coil - half to transmit, full to receive.

PhaseTech in regards to the Cancel position, apart from transmitting using the left winding then receiving using both left and right windings does the out of phase mean it then produces an inverted signal response?

Have just added a Detech DD ultimate to the arsenal to give it a go in Wederburn next weekend.
Wondering what settings on the 4500 would be worth trying , hoping to get it into normal without to many false signals .any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers Booney.

Latest posts