You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

RM Outback
11 October 2017 07:41 pm

Sounds good not that I understand the technical details you fella's are talking. After reading the thread I'm keen to get one what price are they and delivery time to Vic. Anything to improve signal response is worth the investment imo.

Detrack
11 October 2017 08:02 pm

Looks like a Mod of the "Finders Super Fix" big_smile

Like to give one myself ago, like the USB charge as thats the way to go these days.

Cheers

Mackka
11 October 2017 09:52 pm

Second hand info as I wasn't there. Didn't mean to cause any ruckus.
Mackka

BigWave
12 October 2017 05:22 am

I ordered one on Monday morning and was delivered yesterday.
<2 days by Aussie Post must be some kind of record

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

5 users like this post: RM Outback, Northeast, PhaseTech, brucee, ProspectorPete

Heatho
12 October 2017 06:58 am

Bogger wrote:

Yeah I think Heatho that's exactly how this came to be ................ Nenad as a prospector always found something lacking in what was available I think ...................... personally can't wait to give one ago as I think Nenads looking for "field testers" party oh hang on that's probably field testers that know what there doing .................... I'm out cry

Nenad knows a few things about audio as well. big_smile thumbsup

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Pro-Find-25, patience, lot's of patience.

SteelPat
12 October 2017 09:41 am

Heatho wrote:
Bogger wrote:

Yeah I think Heatho that's exactly how this came to be ................ Nenad as a prospector always found something lacking in what was available I think ...................... personally can't wait to give one ago as I think Nenads looking for "field testers" party oh hang on that's probably field testers that know what there doing .................... I'm out cry

Nenad knows a few things about audio as well. big_smile thumbsup

Been plenty of field testing Bogger so you may have missed that boat lol. And yes Nenad certainly knows his stuff, especially when it comes to prospecting and things related to detectors.

Just to give a little info on my background - I have been working with electronics since I was 10 (I was the nerdy/geeky kid who used to fix the schools audio gear at lunchtime lol) and have been in the industry since I left school (over 40 years now). While I have done loads of different types of electronics from making battery charger units for dept of defense, marine electronics through to working on fire alarm systems on oil tankers, home electronics, audio repairs and design have been my specialty.

My actual qualifications are Electrical Fitter/Mechanic (Electrician) special class (this was the industrial electronics bit... not sure what they call it now), an Electronics Technician plus did a computer science degree I did just for fun. This doesnt include all the extra courses I have done with various manufacturers such as Samsung, Panasonic, Yamaha etc.

This is why I was never happy with any of the audio boosters on the market. To me, the sound was atrocious, the electronic design poor and the finished product looked very amateurish. I got together with Nenad and asked him what he would like in an audio unit. There were a few prototypes, lots of discussion and then heaps of testing. Finally we came up with a product that I was happy to use and put my name too.

GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Minelab Pro-Find 25, steelPHASE Audio Enhancer, numerous experimental detectors/circuits and coils. (Another GPZ7000 in the future)

13 users like this post: Stru, nightscale, RichterScale, Syndyne, RM Outback, Bogger, grubstake, Chewy, Araratgold, ProspectorPete, Mackka, Chuky boy, Northeast

Bogger
12 October 2017 12:10 pm

So Steelpat I gather from what your saying there is not much point in me watching my mail box ? wink
It's ok I'm buggered anyway as I just realized my detector doesn't have a headphone jack hmm
1507770913_detector_cheap.jpg

Last edited by Bogger (12 October 2017 12:17 pm)

Go-Figure 60 & XT-2003 Pro Pointer Bucket & Spade

3 users like this post: SteelPat, Chewy, brucee

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
12 October 2017 03:37 pm

Over a few years I have had to repair a few so called boosters... All the ones I have seen have had a single 8 pin audio amp and performs a basic audio amp. And subject to the restrictions of the in and output loads and the specs of that single IC.

Without seeing one, from what I have read and understand from chats... This one by SteelPat and Nenad is more of a Audio ENHANCER that is Fit for Use (Audio Features) and in hard conditions...

I like the mini guitar amps as they boost and allow some manipulation of the audio and have a wide frequency range - great for some of us with bad hearing... BUT not up-to the Dust / Dirt and Abuse; that these things get when attached to a Detector being swung by some loony in the bush ROFLMFAO.

Any enhancer is subject to the signals and frequency's it is provided with AND that is where SteelPat and Nedad I think have it over others as they are a blend of technical and experience in this particular area. That is; the ability of enhancement of tones etc that might normally be lost due to the input and of course the 101 different speakers (Input impedance / Response etc).

As to a fire due to a Lipo going rogue. Would be interesting to see a case. But remember there are 101 different phones and other items that use Lipo's of significantly higher capacity and housed in plastic... How many Phone fires or Dash cam's happen...

DISCLAMER: I am no way affiliated with this project ( would like to get my hands on one :-) ) but not sure it would be of any functional value on a CTX3030. But from an Electronics background and first hand experience with other units; The SteelPhase unit appears to be of a totally different class of product to all the other simple audio amps that I have seen being used or have had to fix... The proof of the matter will be first hand use and experience with the unit and understanding that it is not just an audio amplifier..

PS. SteelPat - Feel free to correct me/my statement above; if I have in any way mis interpenetrated the data I have looked at and the interpretation I have expressed.

PPS. As soon as some one gets one up here, I will be wanting to get my hands on it LOL. Technical interests :-)

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

RM Outback
12 October 2017 04:51 pm

Price?

SteelPat
12 October 2017 05:01 pm

RM Outback wrote:

Price?

$195 + p&h

GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Minelab Pro-Find 25, steelPHASE Audio Enhancer, numerous experimental detectors/circuits and coils. (Another GPZ7000 in the future)

2 users like this post: ProspectorPete, RM Outback

BillS
12 October 2017 05:13 pm

Ran a Rooster Booster on my GPX 5000 and had to go back to a speaker only. Could not stand the chatter. What I have seen and heard of this one is that it ticks all boxes. Looking forward to getting one really soon.
Greatest respect for Nenad and Pats tests reviews and products.

Gram gram, I need a solid gram. Makro Gold Racer, SDC 2300, GPX 5000, Garrett AT Pro.

SteelPat
12 October 2017 05:14 pm

AngerManagement wrote:

..... the ability of enhancement of tones etc that might normally be lost due to the input and of course the 101 different speakers (Input impedance / Response etc)...

Exactly what we are aiming for

AngerManagement wrote:

....As to a fire due to a Lipo going rogue. Would be interesting to see a case. But remember there are 101 different phones and other items that use Lipo's of significantly higher capacity and housed in plastic... How many Phone fires or Dash cam's happen...

The case is from the same series as the case made for the GPX battery (Hammond 1455 series). Tough and good looking (a bit like me lol)

AngerManagement wrote:

PPS. As soon as some one gets one up here, I will be wanting to get my hands on it LOL. Technical interests :-)

I'm sure you will see one sooner or later. If you are ever down this way you are more than welcome to come visit the workshop.

4 users like this post: grubstake, PhaseTech, RM Outback, AngerManagement

madtuna
12 October 2017 05:25 pm

4 grs of gold or there abouts...damn good value thumbsup

edit: Nenad or Pat a question if I may, every other damn booster I've ever used seems to introduce a hum if the coil touches the ground. Generally goes away if I touch the speaker.

Hard to explain sorry, just wondering if it's booster related, speaker related, earth related or maybe I'm like that freaky snow white dude off that movie called 'Powder'.....I did get whacked by lightening about 15 years ago

If yours doesn't do it I'll snavel one in short order. thumbsup

Last edited by madtuna (12 October 2017 05:31 pm)

2 users like this post: Patrick1, RM Outback

SteelPat
12 October 2017 06:11 pm

madtuna wrote:

4 grs of gold or there abouts...damn good value thumbsup

edit: Nenad or Pat a question if I may, every other damn booster I've ever used seems to introduce a hum if the coil touches the ground. Generally goes away if I touch the speaker.

Hard to explain sorry, just wondering if it's booster related, speaker related, earth related or maybe I'm like that freaky snow white dude off that movie called 'Powder'.....I did get whacked by lightening about 15 years ago

If yours doesn't do it I'll snavel one in short order. thumbsup

A lot of the other boosters I have seen are all in unshielded cases and have poor quality audio cables. It could be either of these or a combination of both. This unit was designed primarily for headphone use (as well as speakers) and therefore needed to have very low background noise and low susceptibility to interference.

2 users like this post: madtuna, AngerManagement

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
12 October 2017 06:17 pm

Bogger wrote:

So Steelpat I gather from what your saying there is not much point in me watching my mail box ? wink
It's ok I'm buggered anyway as I just realized my detector doesn't have a headphone jack hmm
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … _cheap.jpg

What happened to the back half of your SDC? tongue

Agent for Minelab, Nokta, NuggetFinder, Makro, Detech, Deteknix/Quest - Phase Technical Website

Bogger
12 October 2017 06:42 pm

PhaseTech wrote:
Bogger wrote:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … _cheap.jpg

What happened to the back half of your SDC? tongue

As you well know Nenad I have a habit of catching things on trees roll The quad fitted but I didn't allow for the overhang ops It's all turned pear shaped anyways for as said no headphone jack and the missus has borrowed my headset so I'm pretty well buggered

1507794425_boob_headphones.jpg
On a serious note I think you should take over answering the tech questions from Steelpat thumbsup After all he can't build units and be on the net also big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Last edited by Bogger (12 October 2017 06:48 pm)

Go-Figure 60 & XT-2003 Pro Pointer Bucket & Spade

3 users like this post: RM Outback, AngerManagement, brucee

BigWave
12 October 2017 07:14 pm

Tonight I ran the SP01 unit in the house (GPX with a mono in Cancel mode) and was checking the speaker amplification of the threshold audio volume.
I have yet to check out the audio processing (filtering/companding etc) of the various modes on real targets out in the field without EMI.
In mode 1, it certainly has good and clean audio volume boost to a speaker (like a lot). I'm thinking that this mode has no audio processing apart from audio gain control.
In mode 2, it has only a mild audio volume boost to a speaker (like).
In mode 3, I'd say that even at maximum volume, it has a slight reduction of the threshold audio volume (dislike, so on speaker will not likely be using this mode).
As my GPX has just enough audio gain to enable me to use a speaker in the goldfields (speaker near my ear), I think that mode 3 would be too quiet for me and only be useful for headphone operators (and I have good hearing).
So, I'd be interested in trying modes 1 and 2 in the field on real targets, however mode 3 seems to be too quiet for my use with a speaker.
Please chip in Nenad or SteelPat if you disagree or have further suggestions.

Last edited by BigWave (12 October 2017 07:55 pm)

Occasional_panner
12 October 2017 07:22 pm

Lifepo4 batteries are a lot safer than Lipo. Most lithium fires are Lipo rather than Lithium ion, but they both are scary when they go poop.
I had a Lipo in my trady toolbox on the back of my ute, it was just sitting there, not being charged or recently used, it was undamaged in a hard case. It was the size of a mars bar, anyway it caught fire for no bloody reason. The gasses created blew the door open with an almighty bang, I mean an almighty bang.
Things that create huge amounts of gasses or explosive reactions are best left vented rather that tightly sealed, that just creates a bomb.
A hole at one end with a decent size rubber grommet would stop it turning into a bomb.
But the quality of the battery has a lot to do with it and how often they are balanced, even then it's relatively rare for them to let out the magic smoke.
It's probably something to be aware of, but not worried about.

Last edited by Occasional_panner (12 October 2017 08:13 pm)

4500, diy banker with dream matt and a diy dryblower. PMAV member.

1 user likes this post: BigWave

RM Outback
12 October 2017 08:20 pm

SteelPat wrote:
RM Outback wrote:

Price?

$195 + p&h

Thanks Pat thumbsup

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
12 October 2017 09:17 pm

BigWave, I think you may have confused Mode and Filter. I think you were talking about Filter 1, 2, 3?
Mode is the 2-position mono/stereo switch. With a single speaker, it will only work in Mode 1.

What Target Volume did you have your GPX on?

If you are a speaker user, then I think dual speakers wired in stereo is the go.
That'll allow you to take advantage of the "pseudo-surround" big_smile Mode 2 position.

Agent for Minelab, Nokta, NuggetFinder, Makro, Detech, Deteknix/Quest - Phase Technical Website

2 users like this post: AngerManagement, RM Outback

SteelPat
12 October 2017 10:12 pm

Also just a note on BigWaves post - there is audio processing on filter one. Each of the 'filters' has a different eq curve so the response and level will be different depending on the frequency the user runs his/her machine. Thats why there are different filtering options - gives a range of options for different users.

This unit is not all about the volume level. Its about increasing the definition of target signals so they are not missed. Substance and quality over quantity wink

The other thing to remember is to get the best out of the sP01 if using a speaker set up, is to use dual speakers wired in a stereo configuration. There is quite a difference using stereo vs mono.

My personal opinion is that users running speakers only (with any set up) will miss faint targets. Wind noise, slight scrubbing of the coil, noise as you walk etc add to background noise that may mask very faint targets. Using headphones eliminates these background distractions. I even sometimes find myself holding my breath when investigating very quiet targets.

5 users like this post: RM Outback, AngerManagement, Stru, Syndyne, Northeast

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
12 October 2017 10:37 pm

lol... my wife knows when i am texting or posting when using my phone..

I have to hold my breath.... Lol.

And yes.. on the beach with a soft signal ... hold breath / swallow etc can cause a change to the ear canal and some interesting results.

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

1 user likes this post: SteelPat

BigWave
13 October 2017 07:30 am

Phase Tech wrote:
BigWave, I think you may have confused Mode and Filter. I think you were talking about Filter 1, 2, 3?
Yes,
I did mean Filter.
I realise that stereo is the way to go. Was just checking amplification of the stable threshold.

Last edited by BigWave (13 October 2017 07:30 am)

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
13 October 2017 12:19 pm

hermann wrote:

Hi there, Over weekend I detected for 6 hours with my GPX5000 and the SPO1 on totally flogged ground, and I was using a speaker, with the target volume on 19. Chrystal clear sound with no distortion, the smallest piece was 0.09gm Very happy with the SP01. Cheers, Hermann. thumbsup

Hi Hermann,

Good to see you on Saturday. Thanks for the feedback. What coil did you team it up with?

Cheers, Nenad

hermann
13 October 2017 01:00 pm

12" evo

2 users like this post: PhaseTech, BillS

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site