1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite easy to make yourself ...................... the rubber being the expensive bit. I prefer the screen on camper as these type flaps reportedly don't help fuel economy plus with screen problems solved no matter what tow vehicle is being used.
Here's a spring pack off a Tambo camper. I use that as an example as these when built by Keith were basically unbreakable ................ heavy but tough as nails. Have four friends with them that have seen four or five Cape York trips with nothing more than some suspension bushs worn and given the corrugations no avoiding that one. Have found you have to either beef the trailer for the load or cut down the load carried as there is probably not much that will leave you in the proverbial more than a broken trailer in the middle of poo creek as your options are limited many times if not fixable to leaving it where it broke. Recovery costs in some places would probably be cheaper to buy another :eek:

I know you probably don't want the wish list added to but a Tregg type hitch would be good as apart from the articulation advantage it takes the shock load of the trailer draw bar ............... again depends how severe the use you require it to handle as there are many campers being sold that are great running to a beach camp site and back but take them of the beaten track and give them 500K of relentless corrugations and they will literally fall apart along the road

1507697982_tambo_spring_pack.jpg

Around $150 ea for the Boxes.. That Brand of Box about $300+ . :N: .. You could try some Wreckers... They may have something you could Use....
Oops.. Silly Me... If you can source some Old Conveyor Belt for Free, they are real cheap to make, that's the most Expensive bit to buy if you had too...

Good Advice Bogger... :Y: Nice and Tough...

LW... :rainbow:

Don't forget you can mount that battery inside the camper, you don't need to mount it outside.
Sealed lead or gel batteries can go inside, you can even mount them sideways.
So have a think about if you even need the toolbox, or do you just want it.
Keep it as simple, light and less costly as possible mate.

LoneWolf said:
Around $150 ea for the Boxes.. That Brand of Box about $300+ . :N: .. You could try some Wreckers... They may have something you could Use....
Oops.. Silly Me... If you can source some Old Conveyor Belt for Free, they are real cheap to make, that's the most Expensive bit to buy if you had too...

Good thinking LW
Five bucks :Y:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/conveyor...693693?hash=item3af1bb667d:g:Oe8AAOSw4ntZcqrL

Occasional_panner said:
Don't forget you can mount that battery inside the camper, you don't need to mount it outside.
Sealed lead or gel batteries can go inside, you can even mount them sideways.
So have a think about if you even need the toolbox, or do you just want it.
Keep it as simple, light and less costly as possible mate.
I will probably do that for a while OP
not going to rush into anything at the moment.. still waiting the electric companants to arrive from flea bay. Also the donor Prado is now down at the mates ready to start stripping out the good engine this week :party: :party: :party:
Another step closer woot wooot :D

LoneWolf said:
. If you can source some Old Conveyor Belt for Free, they are real cheap to make, that's the most Expensive bit to buy if you had too...

I know just the place I might get something .. will check out the mates scrap yard tomorrow..
You would be surprised what people throw away with their scrap metal ..

Not wrong there :) .... Just don't make them too low, or they Will get caught-up and Rip out..... I have a 20x20mm tube under the back of my 4X4 that was put on by previous Owner and you just bolt them on when needed... Mine is mainly held on by the Hayman Reece Tow-bar Mount Points..

I love Country Dumps.. :) City Dumps here, you are Not Allowed to take Anything... :(
Something like this isn't too hard to make or get made...

1507716339_s7_526250_imageset_04.jpg

:Y: :Y: Nice... Better than Mine.. :lol: Those are Low enough to put a Metal strip on the bottom for the Sparkler Effect.. ]:D :rolleyes:

Yeah Jaros
Looks pretty strait forward to make a set ..hardest part is finding the rubber or some scrap coveyor belt for the flaps.
LWolf // I recon they would keep the mud and stones off the camper .. and :Y: keep it from getting damaged

Win Win There nucopia.... They do offer some protection....and better access to the rear door, instead of that Dirty Guard rubbing against you. :D

LW.... :rainbow:

Set the camper up in the front yard this afternoon.
This is the canopy set up.. not impressed with this set up, for one it took a lot of time to attached the canopy and for another its difficult to get all the poles and ropes right also the poles are crap..the other thing is there is not fly screen on this door, which makes it hard to use as an entrance..
1507797288_set_up_2.jpg

Im thinking, It would be better to ditch the canvas canopy at the back of the camper and buy a gazebo to set up on this side of the camper..

1507797333_set_up_1.jpg

Im thinking, if I have a gazebo set up on this side of the camper , I have easy access to the tool box and also the door way on this side of the camper is a better choice as my main entrance, as it has a fly screen as well as the out canvas flap on this door way..

1507797369_set_up_3.jpg

Plus we have easy access to the kitchen from this side, when we need some thing from the ref in the back of the Prado which I can park beside the gazebo as a wind preak
1507797393_set_up_4.jpg

LoneWolf said:
Win Win There nucopia.... They do offer some protection....and better access to the rear door, instead of that Dirty Guard rubbing against you. :D

LW.... :rainbow:

I like the idea that you only need to remove two bolts on the D shackle and you can take off when you dont need it..

Take it bush before you buy any more stuff, go and use it and you'll understand what you need.
Look at other peoples setups and go look at that myswag site.
Have you got a rollout awning on the 4wd? If so pull up side on and use that at the front.
Lots of the camper annexe setups take too long unless you'll be somewhere for 3+days

Occasional_panner said:
Take it bush before you buy any more stuff, go and use it and you'll understand what you need.
Look at other peoples setups and go look at that myswag site.
Have you got a rollout awning on the 4wd? If so pull up side on and use that at the front.
Lots of the camper annexe setups take too long unless you'll be somewhere for 3+days
Yeah O-panner.. I was also thinking a roll out awning on the Prado was another option that would work really well...
I don't have one as of yet ( its on my wish list ;) ) I have a set of racks on the parts prado but no special hex key to remove it.
I'll just keep saving and put things together slowly ...
the reason I've set it up in the yard is, I need to do some work on the inside of the camper over the next couple of week and also treat the tent canvas and the canvas travel cover with water proofing solution..

Can you set up the annexe at the front?
I know half will be above the draw bar and wasted, but it's one less thing you have to buy for the moment.
Just get by with what you have for now mate, go use it and have some fun with it.
BTW Lookin good :Y: :Y: , needs some empty cans on the ground to make it more homely though.

Occasional_panner said:
Can you set up the annexe at the front?
I know half will be above the draw bar and wasted, but it's one less thing you have to buy for the moment.
Just get by with what you have for now mate, go use it and have some fun with it.
BTW Lookin good :Y: :Y: , needs some empty cans on the ground to make it more homely though.

yeah there are zips on the front canvas but they dont match with the canopy zips.. must have some parts missing :rolleyes: never mind ..
Yeah mate will do , hope we can take it to the NAPFA meeting on November 11th :Y:
Just be glad to get out bush again..

Looking great nucopia,only checked a few pages out,nice little camper doesnt look to heavy,what are you using for waterproofing,i gotta attack our RT on trailer with something,also have you thought about a longer drawbar,that one looks 1.4-.5?,with a toolbox 1.8 will ease your pain,not such a big job,say 75x50 3mm duragal then some 50 up the middle to make it a triple,6mm plate at front hitch,just a thought....