Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhaseTech said:
Bogger said:
So Steelpat I gather from what your saying there is not much point in me watching my mail box ? ;)
It's ok I'm buggered anyway as I just realized my detector doesn't have a headphone jack :/
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1507770913_detector_cheap.jpg

What happened to the back half of your SDC? :p

As you well know Nenad I have a habit of catching things on trees :rolleyes: The quad fitted but I didn't allow for the overhang :8 It's all turned pear shaped anyways for as said no headphone jack and the missus has borrowed my headset so I'm pretty well buggered

1507794425_boob_headphones.jpg

On a serious note I think you should take over answering the tech questions from Steelpat :Y: After all he can't build units and be on the net also :D :D :D :D

Tonight I ran the SP01 unit in the house (GPX with a mono in Cancel mode) and was checking the speaker amplification of the threshold audio volume.
I have yet to check out the audio processing (filtering/companding etc) of the various modes on real targets out in the field without EMI.
In mode 1, it certainly has good and clean audio volume boost to a speaker (like a lot). I'm thinking that this mode has no audio processing apart from audio gain control.
In mode 2, it has only a mild audio volume boost to a speaker (like).
In mode 3, I'd say that even at maximum volume, it has a slight reduction of the threshold audio volume (dislike, so on speaker will not likely be using this mode).
As my GPX has just enough audio gain to enable me to use a speaker in the goldfields (speaker near my ear), I think that mode 3 would be too quiet for me and only be useful for headphone operators (and I have good hearing).
So, I'd be interested in trying modes 1 and 2 in the field on real targets, however mode 3 seems to be too quiet for my use with a speaker.
Please chip in Nenad or SteelPat if you disagree or have further suggestions.

Lifepo4 batteries are a lot safer than Lipo. Most lithium fires are Lipo rather than Lithium ion, but they both are scary when they go poop.
I had a Lipo in my trady toolbox on the back of my ute, it was just sitting there, not being charged or recently used, it was undamaged in a hard case. It was the size of a mars bar, anyway it caught fire for no bloody reason. The gasses created blew the door open with an almighty bang, I mean an almighty bang.
Things that create huge amounts of gasses or explosive reactions are best left vented rather that tightly sealed, that just creates a bomb.
A hole at one end with a decent size rubber grommet would stop it turning into a bomb.
But the quality of the battery has a lot to do with it and how often they are balanced, even then it's relatively rare for them to let out the magic smoke.
It's probably something to be aware of, but not worried about.

BigWave, I think you may have confused Mode and Filter. I think you were talking about Filter 1, 2, 3?
Mode is the 2-position mono/stereo switch. With a single speaker, it will only work in Mode 1.

What Target Volume did you have your GPX on?

If you are a speaker user, then I think dual speakers wired in stereo is the go.
That'll allow you to take advantage of the "pseudo-surround" :D Mode 2 position.

Also just a note on BigWaves post - there is audio processing on filter one. Each of the 'filters' has a different eq curve so the response and level will be different depending on the frequency the user runs his/her machine. Thats why there are different filtering options - gives a range of options for different users.

This unit is not all about the volume level. Its about increasing the definition of target signals so they are not missed. Substance and quality over quantity ;)

The other thing to remember is to get the best out of the sP01 if using a speaker set up, is to use dual speakers wired in a stereo configuration. There is quite a difference using stereo vs mono.

My personal opinion is that users running speakers only (with any set up) will miss faint targets. Wind noise, slight scrubbing of the coil, noise as you walk etc add to background noise that may mask very faint targets. Using headphones eliminates these background distractions. I even sometimes find myself holding my breath when investigating very quiet targets.

lol... my wife knows when i am texting or posting when using my phone..

I have to hold my breath.... Lol.

And yes.. on the beach with a soft signal ... hold breath / swallow etc can cause a change to the ear canal and some interesting results.

Phase Tech wrote:
BigWave, I think you may have confused Mode and Filter. I think you were talking about Filter 1, 2, 3?
Yes,
I did mean Filter.
I realise that stereo is the way to go. Was just checking amplification of the stable threshold.

hermann said:
Hi there, Over weekend I detected for 6 hours with my GPX5000 and the SPO1 on totally flogged ground, and I was using a speaker, with the target volume on 19. Chrystal clear sound with no distortion, the smallest piece was 0.09gm Very happy with the SP01. Cheers, Hermann. :Y:

Hi Hermann,

Good to see you on Saturday. Thanks for the feedback. What coil did you team it up with?

Cheers, Nenad

hermann said:
Hi there, Over weekend I detected for 6 hours with my GPX5000 and the SPO1 on totally flogged ground, and I was using a speaker, with the target volume on 19. Chrystal clear sound with no distortion, the smallest piece was 0.09gm Very happy with the SP01. Cheers, Hermann. :Y:
Are you referring to the target volume on the detector? I've found if I have the target volume to high then the gpx gets noisy. I usually have target volume on around 8 - 10 which helps keep it quiet and then use a booster to increase the volume levels.

RichterScale said:
hermann said:
Are you referring to the target volume on the detector? I've found if I have the target volume to high then the gpx gets noisy. I usually have target volume on around 8 - 10 which helps keep it quiet and then use a booster to increase the volume levels.

To be honest you are probably better trying to turn down RX gain to make it a little quieter. I run the target volume up a little and adjust gain depending on conditions.

My theory is you are better to have the best quality signal at the input rather than do post control compensation. No point in having over saturated signals going into the machine.

The thing about the sP01 is not to think of it as a tool to increase volume. Its there to enhance the signal already present.

Hi Richter, Without the SP01 I was running the target volume on my 5000 also around the 10mark , Now with the target volume on the detector 19 or 20 there is no distortion .

So John, when you're running quiet in difficult ground and you move into quieter ground, then how do you know?
If my machine goes quiet, then I can crank it up more.
Yes, it takes more concentration, but I think it keeps you on the edge.
As you say, each to their own.

Great video Nenad and SteelPat :Y: I'll be placing an order as soon as I can put the coin together. Would have been nice to see the target but none the less there's a definite increase in target identification /sound.