Some finds with the xtera 70 and xtera 305

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldGT said:
cashgoldsilver said:
Also how much a kilo are you selling your sinkers for today

Reminds me of a business venture I spent a lot of time and money on long before the days of swinging a detector. I can only imagine the amount spent on lost sinkers nationwide every week/month/year. Any way it was a spectacular (and costly) failure.....and all I really needed was a detector :rolleyes:

So legitimate question do you actually sell them Rockhound ? Curious
I do a bit of fishin OldGT so all the usable one's go in the tackle box and all the unusable one's go in the lead bucket to be scraped :Y:

OldGT said:
cashgoldsilver said:
Also how much a kilo are you selling your sinkers for today

Reminds me of a business venture I spent a lot of time and money on long before the days of swinging a detector. I can only imagine the amount spent on lost sinkers nationwide every week/month/year. Any way it was a spectacular (and costly) failure.....and all I really needed was a detector :rolleyes:

So legitimate question do you actually sell them Rockhound ? Curious

Our now combined story reminds me of an unusual little part of my life,please allow me to elaborate if you would :)

I made about 50-60kg of snapper lead/sinkers on my back verandah :8 using my little 2 burner camping stove and a beetroot tin,I had to get a big breath before going near it 8)

I was partly making them because I had scavenged the lead but mostly because I had made a new "friend" by complete accident fishing in front on his new 2.5m penthouse on Newcastle Harbour.

He had won 6m in Oz Lotto and had purchased a 600k powercat also with me becoming his "first mate" by accident :rolleyes:

Anyway after making all of the those bloody sinkers I DID NOT get to even drop ONE line with my hard won sinkers although he did because I had left some on his boat 8.(

The trouble was he had a real love affair with the bottle,so I was glad to get away from him although I had been on his boat from the launch (by crane) but never fishing :brokenh:

I did get to house and pet sit for him for 2 weeks while he had a hip replacement and drive his BMW and Mini Cooper S :p man that Cooper S had some real kick throwing you back in the seat :lol:

There is more sordid details that I won't talk about here,but when you have a lot of money things change as you could imagine ]:D

So that it literally MY LEAD STORY 8)

My lead story would be taking my buckets of scrap (including the lead) in to the scrappo's ,.... only to find (once it's all said n done) that those top dollar prices we were seeing had plumeted to normal crap prices ,.... so, I got a mere pittance instead of the worldly wealth I had anticipated with outstretched trembling hands ,.... so ,.... it ended up being a trembling lip I left with as I wiped that nasty tear from the corner of my eye (shoulda took my scrap back home, but the deal was done).
(sniiiiff)Anyway..... havn't sold the dust off a leadhead (or off anything else) without checking the prices first since.
last time I looked there were 2 buckets of dirty lead and half a bucket of sinkers in the shed ,.... and there they will sit until I decide to value add to the lot by making my own new sinkers to bag n tag for sale myself lol.
]:D :D :p

silver said:
My lead story would be taking my buckets of scrap (including the lead) in to the scrappo's ,.... only to find (once it's all said n done) that those top dollar prices we were seeing had plumeted to normal crap prices ,.... so, I got a mere pittance instead of the worldly wealth I had anticipated with outstretched trembling hands ,.... so ,.... it ended up being a trembling lip I left with as I wiped that nasty tear from the corner of my eye (shoulda took my scrap back home, but the deal was done).
(sniiiiff)Anyway..... havn't sold the dust off a leadhead (or off anything else) without checking the prices first since.
last time I looked there were 2 buckets of dirty lead and half a bucket of sinkers in the shed ,.... and there they will sit until I decide to value add to the lot by making my own new sinkers to bag n tag for sale myself lol.
]:D :D :p

Foot Note - I sold my 50-60kg of hand made stinkers via gumtree to a local fishing charter operator for $100.00 = $3 per hour :lol:

Haha well I'm an ex scrap dog Silver....I would have looked after you. Lead is pretty volatile in pricing though....mostly the price is determined off the LME which makes it more likely to fall off a cliff one month and skyrocket the next....

CGS my story is similar (the second part not the playboy part haha) I got stuck with a huge quantity of scrap lead (mostly spent shot) which I paid WAY over price for....so I was in my shed with nearly 3 tonne (sounds more than it was in terms of volume) and thought about conducting some sinker molding to recoup some losses.....The sums all added up and so 13 weeks after I had the molds and heating system worked out I had about 1.6 tonne melted and cast into sinkers.

I had drastically over estimated the market demand however and was forced to sell the bulk of sinkers and equipment at cost to what I had paid....leaving around 300 hours of work unpaid and the cost of production input costs unaccounted for....and to top it off, my lead levels took a beating on the charts, something up until then I had managed to avoid. Moral of the story...Bigger is not always better. All is well that ends well though, the guy I got the lead from ended up paying (!) me to take away large ongoing amounts of spent brass casings which in the end covered my losses many times over. It's all a learning experience haha.

Hi all :Y: Back to the beach today for a couple of hour's....
1507792510_img_3113.jpg
1507792540_img_3112.jpg
1507792636_img_3114.jpg
Coin spill $8.20 :)
1507792723_img_3110.jpg
And some sea silver :D
1507792757_img_3115.jpg
RH :cool:

Wow,lookit those sea silvers. Looks like you may have stumbled across a huge untapped resource :D
Did you find any abandoned cars those keys may fit?

Nice crusty silver their Captain :Y:

Imagine being the person lost those keys :mad: I bet they were filthy plus replacing them would be time consuming and potentially 8.(

Good effort :)

I'm always amazed at how so much good stuff is in the ground just out of sight for determined people to find :party:

When I saw your first photo I thought of a footing for house,are you building :D

Nice silvers :Y:

Latest posts