coiltek elite 17 x 11 vers coiltek elite 14

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
has any body compared the depth reached for size of target between coiltek elite ,14" versus coiltek elite 17" x 11" in the same ground .Both coils seem to have the same surface area

i was told by a guide that you add the 17 and the 11 which gives you 28 then you halve it so its 14 the same as the 14"

I'm about to buy one of these 2 coils. Having trouble deciding. With the elliptical is the strong signal always still in the centre? I've see vids where it seems to pick it up better at the toe or the heel sometimes, is this normal?
Does the elliptical respond better to very small gold because you swing across 11" width vs 14"?

I have the 14x9 elliptical NF evo and the 14" round Elite mono, I mainly swing the evo due to weight, another bonus for the elliptical is much easier pinpointing, signals are brighter with the elliptical as well. I would have to say the 14" round is depth king though. I can get a 1.3 gram nugget at 13". I do break out the 14" round elite to clean up an area though. Due to its weight I do not swing it all day long.

I have compared both. The 17x11" is a little sharper on shallow targets, particularly if you get over the sweet spot of the coil (this can vary as with all ellipticals).
The 14" round I found to run a little smoother, and may have a bees whisker more depth once target size exceeds approx. 1.5g (this would highly depend on the shape of the nugget). The 17x11 does have a slight edge on species, and iron coated nuggies.

I have a couple of used Elites up for grabs at the moment if anyone is interested.

14" - $280
17x11" very good condition with original box, coil bag and extra skid plate - $320

Thanks for that, I'm currently using the 11" elite and I'm after something with a bit more depth and will run smoother. Having trouble deciding between the 14" and 17" elliptical.
So for the sub gram stuff the elliptical would be better but the sweet spot won't be in the centre? The elliptical isn't as smooth at the 14" but it would have to run smoother than the 11"?

Yeah will definitely run a bit smoother than the 11".

The sweet spot on ellipticals always varies depending on the size of the target. If it's large and deep the sweet spot will be more centered.
As targets get smaller (and then obviously shallower) the sweet spot gets closer to the front or back of the coil.

Latest posts