Hiking into Durikai

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't want to cop the storm...

Found about 7 pieces of old bullets, shot, bullet shells, & old bandage clasp....gold will come soon!!!

see ya next week Durikai!! hopefully no storms lol

so got out to durikai again today...pulled up to spot....forgot pick in my rush to get out early! total idiot!! lol...drove to warwick to bunnings for quick fix..back out...haha!!

went to the "flogged/raked area at rabbit fence and carbean rd....totally different to spot i first explored...and noticed the raking paths...and lots of them...but ended up finding about 9 pieces....of lead, couple old .22 shells, old fence and shot...still no gold..but will be back to score a damn nugget or several!! lol

Oh, and there is small gold in the creek at the first Durikai spot you went, off the Cunningham Hwy. The very first time I found gold was after spending 3 hours swinging my Makro Gold Racer with no luck at all, so before leaving, I quickly scraped out some crevices in the creek there, just after the memorial site for the prospector. I took home about 10 cups worth of material. I then spent the next couple of nights, in my free time, panning it down. Low and behold my excitement, after countless times panning and staring at flecks of pyrite wondering if they were gold, I finally realised what gold was like in a pan. My first ever ever gold!! I was excited and so were kids. I couldn't believe it, 3 small specks in the end.
I am glad I did that, because even though it wasn't much, it was my first hand experience at finding gold. And it just fed the desire even more.

PS. I had previously ordered some pay dirt from online to see what panning gold was like, because I had not found any yet at that stage. But the gold they gave me was basically shavings, and it doesn't pan the same at all. It was much better experiencing it naturally.

just put deposit on an fj cruiser so will be not so worried about the unfortunate possible wildlife hit or trek'n off road next trip...

Nice tip but i don't have any pans..might get one and do a bucket at home like you said..but ...im gonna head as deep as possible in the tonka truck to try to get to bigger stuff haha!!

plus mate of mine knows area in Drake so heading south of the boarder and more rugged territory in near future.

but determined to find a nugget at durikai next visit!! hopefully next Thursday

Dan78 said:
just put deposit on an fj cruiser so will be not so worried about the unfortunate possible wildlife hit or trek'n off road next trip...

Nice tip but i don't have any pans..might get one and do a bucket at home like you said..but ...im gonna head as deep as possible in the tonka truck to try to get to bigger stuff haha!!

plus mate of mine knows area in Drake so heading south of the boarder and more rugged territory in near future.

but determined to find a nugget at durikai next visit!! hopefully next Thursday

Sounds great. The more areas the better your chances are.

Here's hoping your work and effort pays off for you. :Y:

I done 5.5 Kms today and 100mtr climb prospecting and found nothing exciting. At least the exercise is rewarding. And it is the best office to work in. :)
The days that you don't find gold make the days you do find gold that extra special.

ahh man that sucks....in Durikai??.not even a target?? ....but thats just it! i saw so many cool little wallabies , birds, and some of the biggest ants ive ever seen haha...thankfully no snakes yet ..might buy some gumboots ...but just great to be out in the bush!! and exercise ...it doesn't even feel like exercise cause your loving it...except for the damn flies lol!!

Dan78 said:
ahh man that sucks....in Durikai??.not even a target?? ....but thats just it! i saw so many cool little wallabies , birds, and some of the biggest ants ive ever seen haha...thankfully no snakes yet ..might buy some gumboots ...but just great to be out in the bush!! and exercise ...it doesn't even feel like exercise cause your loving it...except for the damn flies lol!!

No no no.. Not Durikai... somewhere else near my mates property.... it was 2.5k hike just to get there. .. I saw my first snake of the season today though. All good, he went one way, I went the other. Good we agreed on that. :)

Yeah I have been thinking of those gators from BCF..only $20 or something...

Oh, I always pack the aerogard in the backpack... just in case...

hahaha yea good idea to go separate ways ...I was told to step on every fallen log..not step over it...just in case ones lying on other side

and yea got the aerogard lol

wonder how much gold that house with the spiders has pulled out of the ground...big sign saying no prospectors hahaaa

the prop is prime location...wonder if can buy a cheap bunch of land around that area...thats loaded with the shinny stuff haha...does your mates property have any gold found before?

Latest posts