Camper / Caravan insurance

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Rick
Reaction score
Looking around for caravan insurance at the moment , was surprised to see that some do not cover any off road use at all , would like any advice on good insurance that others may have found

Cheers

Hey Bacchus,

I ve just had a quote from CIL caravan and RV insurance.

$345.03 for a $14000 van. Not sure if that's good or bad, seems about right to me. Off road coverage is included but a $200 excess.

Cheers

RS

CIL are a long time insurer of caravans. Premiums vary and so does type of cover, some insurers won't insure caravans at all.

Shop around on Premiums, but then have a look at the Product Disclosure Statement as to what the cover really is.

Not sure about the off road question, but Suncorp (who own most of the vehicle insurers in Oz - including Shannons) offer a good rate. I've had one claim, handled over the phone, new awning coz our was ripped and damaged in a big blow.
If you join the Australian Caravan Club, you'll also get a good deal from their insurer. http://www.australiancaravanclub.com.au/
You should check their definitions of Off-Road. Most insurers will accept any gazetted road as a road, at least for 4WD insurance.
I was told by one insurer.. "If it's on a map, it's a road."

good idea being insured.. covers pop top surrounds, annexes and roll out awnings, trailer tents as well as the van or trailer.... :)

Gday guys , myself and the missus are planning a trip round Australia for a few months and looking for recommendations on insurance companies for the trailer?

Is it even worth it ? Its a new camper so will have Warenty, were fairly security conscious so will be locking / clamping it .

Any advice, or even your personal experiences or recommendations would be much appreciated

TIA

Yeh cheers mate ! I got a rough quote from them and it would be stupid not to considering how much we could potentially loose.

Thanks ?

I am another fan of club 4 x 4 but what I would suggest to you is to get a GPS tracker that has a backup battery and hide it inside a wall cavity.

there are various models with a built in battery that last from 2 weeks to 6 months so even if the trailer / van isn't connected to a vehicle you can still track it from your mobile phone to an accuracy of within 20 metres.

Sadly campers are very popular with thieves because they are so easy to rebirth so I think a tracker is a very cheap investment at $50 - 200 each

Add a M2M SIM card for $7 per month and you're a happy camper ...provided you try to make valuables also theft resistant .

I agree
i have a GSM/GPRS/GPS tracker in all three of my vehicles once it is set up it sends a sms to your phone if it moves when not in use it sleeps until you send the activation code best security you can get or a bigger dog :lol:
Can also be put in kids school bags so you can keep an eye on them
Depending on the insurance company some lower the insurance
Lets you sleep better at night

All good till you enter a No Coverage area...Then, That's where Zuse comes in handy ]:D

1507551152_rottweiler.jpg

LW... :rainbow:

When getting a tracker, you should get an 4G tracker as 3G will be phased out, like 2G.
I have my CT insured with Club 4x4 and you get an discount if you have a tracker fitted.
When hiding it, you should give it some open air and not within an steel cavity because it will get no signal when enclosed in steel.

Latest posts