QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 15x10 detech is a traditional winding so would be in its element in hotter ground where the flat winds may struggle. And it's very light for its size.

PhaseTech said:
The 15x10 detech is a traditional winding so would be in its element in hotter ground where the flat winds may struggle. And it's very light for its size.
Thanks for that :)

PhaseTech said:
a traditional winding would be in its element in hotter ground where the flat winds may struggle

Yes I absolutely agree PhaseTech as my traditional wound Advantage Nuggetfinders work better in hotter ground than my flat wound Evo.
Also another nuisance thing with the flat winding type coils is trying to pinpoint the exact position of nugget in the ground before you dig. Even trying to pinpoint while the nugget is still in the hole and then when out and trying to pinpoint and pick it up to wave over the coil. Especially if tiny as the most sensitive part of this type of coil on the smaller the target is, is the inner winding towards the centre of the coil whereas the traditional winding is around its circumference.

Optional upgrades for the QED.
http://australianelectronicgoldpros...updated-pictures/msg43589/?topicseen#msg43589
1507588336_front_before.jpg
1507588374_front_after.jpg
1507588403_rear_before.jpg
1507588438_rear_after.jpg

PhaseTech said:
Any reason why it can't just have a panel mount 1/4" headphone socket on the back of the control box?

Then people would have to use an adapter for the supplied external speaker. Adapters plugged directly into the control box 1/4" headphone socket create noise due to movement as reported by some users. This does not seem to happen when you use an 1/4" lead with an adapter.

I can not recall any of the ML PI's having an audio socket mounted on their control boxes so maybe a reason for that also.

Rush said:
I can not recall any of the ML PI's having an audio socket mounted on their control boxes so maybe a reason for that also.

Because the ML PI's (SD, GP, GPX) uses the "truck battery in body harness" setup. The battery is already attached to your body, so why not just plug the headphones into the battery?

Only one cable to detector needed then, and less cables flapping around to worry about regarding obstacles, and when setting the detector down, etc.

Less cable length needed on headphones, too.

I think I have pretty much come to the same conclusion as mbasko with regards to the QED settings. I have the 14x9 advantage coil and believe I was making the mistake of trying to set it up to detect small stuff (in relation to the size of the coil) which in turn made the detector very sensitive to hot ground therefore getting lots of hot ground signals. I found that by setting mode a bit higher the detector becomes a lot easier to use in hot ground and still be sensitive to small targets. At Laanecoorie on the w/end I ended up with mode on 7, gain around 3 or 4, bias 50-51, volume around 50. I believe the settings would be different for different coils sizes and ground mineralisation. I did not get to try the detech 11 but saw it in action at the test site, signal seemed brighter and maybe a bit more depth than my NF, but I think the NF is easier to pin point with. Never experienced any problems with the deteknix wireless even though there was a thunderstorm rolling my way, just the occasional spike now and then. Just my 2 bobs worth.
Cheers

Nuggetbuster said:
Rush said:

Because the ML PI's (SD, GP, GPX) uses the "truck battery in body harness" setup. The battery is already attached to your body, so why not just plug the headphones into the battery?

Only one cable to detector needed then, and less cables flapping around to worry about regarding obstacles, and when setting the detector down, etc.

Less cable length needed on headphones, too.

A combined wireless headphones and battery system has been developed for the gp/gpx and the QED by a third party.I think its still in the testing phase

Nuggetbuster said:
That audio / power breakout cable... :N:

Looks like Link Technologies was contracted for some engineering work :/
Yeah I agree & my one big thumbs down with the QED is the lack of a supplied, good li-ion battery system & decent cable. Not everyone wants to buy a project but it's not the end of the world - plenty don't like other brand battery set ups either so do their own lipo's etc.
Never been one to spend time making detecting "stuff" but seen an idea somewhere of a battery pack for the QED with audio socket like the Minelab GPX batteries. Ended up making my own simple battery pack from a 8.4v li-ion 18650 x 4 holder, small aluminum project box & 1/4" headphone jack (can use an adapter cable to go back to 3.5mm if needed). I mount it under the arm cuff & can leave it mounted or easily remove it for charging. I also made up a much better/neater + heavier duty cable with 90 degree connector off the rear panel so the cable runs straight down to the shaft then along it through to the battery pack. Used it all day last Saturday & only dropped to 7.2v so thought that was pretty good (QED battery safety cut off is 6v).
Also looking to re-purpose a Coiltek GPX Battery kindly given to me by a forum member. :Y: Be interesting to see how the internal amp goes if I can get it all working again.

I think the qed is a really great detector and I fell in love with it more this weekend. however I agree with you guys it lacks the finish. My pluggers in the control unit underneath the arm so I don't have the same problem as you guys.. the way the earphone plug comes out of the back of those unit in the photo looks cheap the wire looks too small for the plug it may work perfectly..
As I've said in a previous posts I broke qed mounting bracket for the control box which I believe is to light and construction which is being sorted by Peter. It he is more than happy to fix it so I don't have a problem xxxx happens.
Since Saturday afternoon I have been using my newly purchased gpx4500. grab some basic settings off the net before I left Friday. I was stuffing around with it when I bumped into an old timer who obviously knew more than I did and a big thumbs up to him because he spent a couple of hours with me getting my 4500 and myself working together to some degree. I played around with it getting better at using it finding bullets wire and all the other crap.
Until this morning, all weekend I've been getting a wop wop wop with about 15/20 sec space between and then sometimes disappearing for 10 or 15 minutes and then coming back. but today it was particularly bad ( I was thinking maybe radar) I did everything that I was showen by the old bloke, reading the manual, i could not get rid of this emi noise and then a plane decided to circle the area for about 5 or so minutes and I was unable to use the 4500.. stuff this I was walking back to the car pissed off with a plane and I was thinking i didn't get that noise with the qed on Friday... so out came the gaffer tape and I strap her up, looked a bit ruff but it worked. Switch her on and went through the setup quickly gb 125 , THS B 51, THS A 40 , GAIN 3 and Mode 6 and there was no wop wop wop and the plane flew back over later on in the day I could hear it through the detector but I could still use it I didn't have to wait for the plane to fly off :eek: .. maybe I didn't have my 4500 setup correctly I am a new with it. I don't think this is the case as there are other people using 4500 and 5000 with the same noise over the weekend... oh I had my SMR set at 108 I believe. So I finished the rest of the day off with the qed enjoying every minute of it. No I'm not selling the 4500 :D

Cando I am really enjoying reading about your experiences out in the field with your QED along with your settings and pics as well.

I own a GPX5000 as well as a QED and I feel both can complement one another with each having an advantage that the other hasn't.
Also I take both detectors with me as backup in case one fails to operate property as you experienced regarding interference.
Another advantage I feel the QED has is through its ability to display a figure on its screen of ground mineralisation after a GB.
Therefore as you detect through an area a dramatic change in that GB figure could show a band of mineralisation that may contain gold.

Also if a family member decides to tag along such as my wife then once set the QED's lightweight is much easy for her to handle.

washgravel said:
I own a GPX5000 as well as a QED and I feel both can complement one another with each having an advantage that the other hasn't.
Also I take both detectors with me as backup in case one fails to operate property as you experienced regarding interference.
Another advantage I feel the QED has is through its ability to display a figure on its screen of ground mineralisation after a GB.
Therefore as you detect through an area a dramatic change in that GB figure could show a band of mineralisation that may contain gold.

Also if a family member decides to tag along such as my wife then once set the QED's lightweight is much easy for her to handle.

totally agree with you, the problem is, the user/ knowledge base Minelab is has is huge because as it's been out so long where the qed in very new and there is a very small knowledge base, this will change I'm sure.. on a side note I did put the 14" Coiltek camo coil on and took it off very quickly as it was too noisy, compared to the detech 11" and Nugget Finder advantage 14x9. It's a lot heavier too so it put the qed out of balance quite a bit. it was uncomfortable to be honest and I didn't like it much on the 4500 either. But I guess there will be a place where this coil will shine. they say it's a sensitive coil, maybe it was just too sensitive with the EMI.
I ended up putting in an order for 15x10 detech open coil yesterday. :D I'm convinces know gold out there for me, so I'm going into this scrap business :lol: :lol:

Latest posts