Mick Quinn Detector mods on the GP series, anyone tried it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many months ago, Mick ('Nanotech') in QLD started offering cheapish mods for the GP series, using flat wound coils only. Has anyone ever tried these and can give an honest opinion? He gives a money back guarantee if not happy apparently. Just curious....

Im no expert but i use a modified gp3000 which i have up for sale atm.
I have spoken with Mike regarding mods and what he does sounds very feasible. If you get his mods you can pretty much only use an 11 flat wound coil like an elite or ultra to get the benefit. He runs a high frequency and reduces the capacity for ground noise in the unit and turns front end gain down.
Mine works much the same, on highest frequency i normally need to back gains down when using a flat wound coil. In saying that in a comparison between mine a 5000 and a 7000 on air tests with test pieces, mine smashed the 5000 for depth on small stuff using the same coils. With the 14x9 evolution i could get a small nugget in almost gpz territory, and an 11 round would probably punch deeper so by my experience what he told me he does would in theory create a small gold killer close to a gpz in depth vs size. Although theres other factors like ground balance, timings, stability etc im no expert and sometimes theory doesnt work in practice, but my experience tells me he has a good modification.
I guess the only downside would be your machine would lose versatility as you cant adjust the mods or run in standard or use bigger coils effectively. But hey if you have a gp series its a cheap price for an upgrade. Or you can buy mine which does all that and more :p :p :p

So hard to keep a thread clean and bite my tongue. Any way....I think most people are reluctant to get mods done basically because it's a bit of a roulette spin, you might bet lucky you might not, but if the detector performs less well then your also out on offloading an older detector for an upgrade. The 4500 is pretty darn cheap at the moment with warranty and a variety of coils and options inbuilt to achieve better (possibly) results than stock settings and coil options. Even new coils aren't exactly high ticket priced items. Or hand your well earned over to someone and hope you get the good end of the deal.

Mods like the fix to the SPP hiccup issue are widely accepted, but potentially turning your detector into something less usable probably won't appeal to the masses.

If you have the cash to spare and an open mind I say go for it, might turn out to be great investment.

OK, so the mods create a sorta sub-gram gold specialty machine like the SDC except better depth.....hmmm, seeing how Minelab dont even support or service GP's anymore and theyre cheap, it might be worth a go......

Yep heard it all before, modified detectors ,sdc ,gpz7000, atx , gold bugs , and it just goes on and on , 20 years ago i brought the newest offering from mine lab, a gp extreme supposedly the best thing since sliced bread , however i didn't find any gold for 6 months and thought it was a dud ! then i started listened ! the gold just kept cumming . today i still like using the extreme over my 5000 so a good ear and some patients will be the winner . :p

Latest posts