Vacuum cleaner

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a cordless vacuum to suck out a nice pocket on a very good rock bar that I cannot physically reach with my brush ,trowel etc. It is showing nice coarse colours about10 to the dish. I have just reached the clay and I can't help thinking that the bedrock might just be the spot. Any advice would be appreciated.Cheers

Yes, I agree with XIV, the laws are a fairly specific about the use of mechanical,electric and pneumatic devices being used by prospectors and the fines are pretty hefty......good luck anyhow.

Wait for cleanup australia day and take the Dyson out for a run. It does seem rather stupid some of the limits imposed on us, but politicians make broad rules about things, they don't really work well with details, so the no dredging because some idiots were destroying creek banks was taken to the extreme of now even a yabby pump can be considered iffy in Qld.

Probably come down to the ratio of gold to yabbies, but still perfectly legal if your just after yabbies. I really doubt anyone official would really make a fuss about using a yabby pump to fossick, but technically it's still dredging, even if it is hand powered.

Why couldn't you use a 1/4 inch clear plastic tubing, or 5/16ths may be better, add a new inline fuel filter and suck like heck. Not mechanical.

If you do get a vacuum dont waste your money on a 12v one, they never have enough power. I used to use a wet dry vacuum plugged into a genset. Have been considering a good cordless charged by an inverter of a car battery.

Bypass the 12v battery, and run off a car/marine 12v battey. Any auto electrician should be able to do it. The generator sure is going to make sum noise!

12v is the go for continuous dc power and portability. A decent thinking ranger should just shake his head. But a 240v geni and a big drum vac.... hmmm really pushing your luck

mudgee hunter said:
12v is the go for continuous dc power and portability. A decent thinking ranger should just shake his head. But a 240v geni and a big drum vac.... hmmm really pushing your luck
I didnt think we where talking about doing it in a national park ? Have tried with a 12v but find them pathetically underpowered to be useful. What vac did you use ?

Latest posts