Minelab detector service and customer service

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jim 8 said:
Hi all
just to let all know that I sent a minelab 4000 in to have a check and find out problem only to be told that they do not look at this model as they do not carry parts. No suggestion of caring or where I might at least have some one have a look at it, (ABSOLUTELY NO CLASS) It could be a loose wire or something very simple they can make all the excuses they want (no parts - discontinued stock) But not to look at it :N:
What is the actual problem with it by the way ?

I had a the normal humming sound but did not register any target signal I was with a metal detector group and we tried different coil -different battery - different leads the problem is in the control box . I have no idea and neither do minelab because they just sent it back did not even look at it according to them.Since then I have talk to Ismael Jones and I will send it to him in WA when it comes back I only know this because I rang them and they told me that they have posted it back , I did complain to both the service dept and to a manager they put me onto.
Anyway under control hopefully in the near future :p

mmmm only got my 4000 back from minelab 2 weeks ago , had the late model 4500,5000 on :/ off switch fitted because the original one was faltering as they did ,
great service had to have updated mods to fit and was all sweet 145 bucks ,,,,thanks minelab .... :Y: :Y:

jim 8 said:
Thanks Gizmo
I appreciate your understanding it was men,t as a constructive criticisms . I talked to Ismael Jones and he was shocked that they no longer repaired the 4000 so I guess it is not common knowledge. It is funny how some people treat a new member

dont take it to heart mate not every one on here bites :p :p
some are very protective of others IE: Minelab i have never heard a bad thing about any of them
maybe it was a mix up somewhere along the line breakdown in communication or some thing
so let your fingers do the walking and do a ring around you may find someone that knows someone that can fix it for you
just dont get disheartened over this it is a bloody good forum even with the grumpy ones ]:D ]:D ]:D

jim 8 said:
Thanks Gizmo
I appreciate your understanding it was men,t as a constructive criticisms . I talked to Ismael Jones and he was shocked that they no longer repaired the 4000 so I guess it is not common knowledge. It is funny how some people treat a new member

This is Australia mate the land of sarcasm and i love it.

jim 8 said:
This conversation is becoming a bit out of hand and maybe its partly my fault for not fully explaining
I did ring minelab beforehand and told the switch girl that i was sending the 4000 in for repair and she told me to write a cover letter i did it because i was advised to do it by an Brian - x minelab parramatta who was a gentleman and very helpful. As far as i knew and every body i spoke to before and after the event this was news to them. I also owned my own business and as Occasional_panner said I would try to help a customer if i could by giving him helpful advice
Thank you for those who had good intentions with there comments and those with bad intentions read your own rules
Jim Brown
Hi Jim - my comment re: "Really pays to ring first before sending in now" was in general for everyone/anyone needing repairs now that may read this thread - not saying you didn't or should have.
What they told you is pretty stock when sending a machine in & I am surprised they didn't at least look at it. Would have thought that the 4000 would be serviceable for quite awhile yet based on how long others were.
Minelab, for reasons of own - patent privacy issues maybe??, have really only had the one recognised service centre in Australia. No doubt they could lesson their workload by having approved agents especially for older machines. They have approved repair agents overseas but last time I checked their serviceability timeframes were even shorter than here. Frustrating for those in places like the USA who used to have to ship older machines to Adelaide too.
Hopefully Ismael gets it sorted for you. :Y:
On another note if she's been a faithful old gold grabber for ya it might be time for an upgrade - she might be telling ya something :lol:

It is a bit sad when Minelab aren't capable of fixing a broken 4000. If they can't fix a 4000 what hope have the rest of us with out SDC, 4500, 5000 etc..

Jim try one of the modders as they should be able to help you out.

Went to Miners Den Bendigo this morning and found out their now an approved service agent for Minelab. Happened to ask a question regarding my SDC audio intermittently shutting off during start up, I still have to check a few things out before determining if it the machine or wireless unit. Anyway was told they were accredited within the last month or so and able to cover warranty claims :Y:.

MMMMMM have had this happen to me , more than likely its loose battery connections, not a Minelab fault , the simple fix is a plastic straw inserted between the batteries to prevent them from moving around, much has been written on this subject appears that the different brands of batteries have different tolerances particularly on the posative end , don't have that nuisance issue any more

Mungass said:
mmmm only got my 4000 back from minelab 2 weeks ago , had the late model 4500,5000 on :/ off switch fitted because the original one was faltering as they did ,
great service had to have updated mods to fit and was all sweet 145 bucks ,,,,thanks minelab .... :Y: :Y:

hey Mungass. im a newbie & just picked up a GPX4000 as a starter/learning machine before I go out & spend big bucks on a new machine. What do you mean by your comment "had to" have updated mods fitted? What were these mods?

Mungass said:

Hey Mungass, being a newbie I have just bought a GPX4000 with a heap of extras for a good price. I was aware when i bought it that it may be beyond factory service but I plan on a bigger outlay later after some experience & education. What mods are you referring to in your comment "had to have updated mods to fit
" ? .... & was it Minelab who did it or an after-market tech?

sorry about my double post on this. I couldnt see the 1st one when I wrote this so i thought it hadnt posted, & I havent figured out how to delete a post yet (or if its possible) ... Moderator help required

Hi guys. I'm having doubts about my detectors condition so am getting it serviced and checked. The guy at Mitcham minelab reckons they won't pull the cover off without a letter stating what's wrong. How can I convince them to have a proper in depth look at the internals? Thanks guys

We have sent detectors back to S A over the years mostly under warranty in the early days they were very good ,the last one a 5000 came back reported it was all with in specification ,but in the field it still was not right we sold it a got a new 4500 it was a far better detector .I have been told that Bendigo Gold services detectors now regards john

Cheers John. I'm not sure if they are going to send it off or do it there. I dunno if you remember but you had a swing with my machine at Talbot. ( I came with the little missus in the Black Landcruiser) and the machine gave off one of its random spikes and you said you've never heard that before

Latest posts