DIY Willoughby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Trampoline Spring is pretty spot on... You will find out how good the spring is when you load up with gravel...I used slotted angle to hold the spring on the upright, so I have some adjustment and the same on the handle... Springs from washing machines are good too, but break easily.... You just have to watch out for wear on the spring... I had one let go as I was getting the sieve out of the tub and the handle wacked me in the back of the head. :rolleyes: .. I have 2 sizes one for the 17" and 13'' sieves... Trial and error is the only way to sort out these issues.... As for flipping your sieves, that takes time to master, but flip towards you.. ... I rarely use my Willoughby now as I can centre in a sieve in a tub of water or in a creek... Takes a bit to master , but you get there eventually... I also use a square tube for my vertical pole and on the plate under the tub I use a piece of round pipe. Round fits into square. So I can swing the Willoughby away from the tub.. Makes it just that bit easier...
You just jig it up and down, up and down then one final jug to centre, then flip... I think there is a few you-tube vids out there to look at on them... I can give measurements if you need them...

LW...

Many thanks for the link roddosnow.

I think I will have to make one of these up. I can centre a set of sieves pretty well and haven't had any problem finding sapphires etc. but after a few days of it, one of these could certainly be handy to give the arms and wrists a bit of a break. Thinking a shaker stand as well for easier initial dry sieving could be the best combination :)

Philip

Thank you all for the Willoughby information. I'm pretty good with a saruca / gem sieve already but it gets tiring after a few hours and does unpleasant things to my back. I'm hoping I can get the same results with a Willoughby once I learn how to use it. If it works out even half as well as I think then there should be quite a few other people interested in trying the same thing.

Again, thanks.

No, not available in shops... But you can buy them on the Central QLD Gemfields for about $150.... I can make you one for a bit cheaper if you want.... :)

LW...

Just a clue for the constructors.
The pair of sieves need to be a reasonably loose fit in the ring so you can lift them out easily.
However, 3 months or so jiggling up and down and you start to notice holes wearing through outside edges of the sieves.
The easy answer is a 15mm wide rubber band cut from a truck inner tube to fit over and hold the sieves firmly in place.
Stops the loose jiggling/wear and tear. And at $$'s/pair of sieves quite a bit of money.
Mike

boobook said:
Just a clue for the constructors.
The pair of sieves need to be a reasonably loose fit in the ring so you can lift them out easily.
However, 3 months or so jiggling up and down and you start to notice holes wearing through outside edges of the sieves.
The easy answer is a 15mm wide rubber band cut from a truck inner tube to fit over and hold the sieves firmly in place.
Stops the loose jiggling/wear and tear. And at $$'s/pair of sieves quite a bit of money.
Mike

or a old bike tube cut down the centre on one side only

Hi all,

I found this post really helpful in giving me a few ideas for my Willoughby project... With that in mind I thought I'd add to it with my finished product in case it helps anyone else in future for fabricating ideas.

Keep in mind my design is over engineered, but why the hell not. If anyone wants any specs feel free to message me directly.

My basic concept was to create a Willoughby that can be setup or packed away with as much ease as possible. Mine takes about 30 seconds with only one nut and bolt to undo.

The hardest part was the sieve holder, like with the creator of this post. I opted for an octagon... The internal length of each segment is 13.25mm with an internal angle of 135 degrees.

Materials used:
50x30 aluminium box channel (6m total) overkill in hindsight
20x10 aluminium box channel (3m total)
Some aluminium checker plate
6x stainless eyelets
1x spring
Small piece of hardwood timber
Assorted stainless nuts and bolts

1555486315_20190416_165251.jpg

1555486362_20190416_165309.jpg

1555486405_20190416_165531.jpg

1555486443_20190417_164051.jpg