QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test bed results are just that - test bed results.
You know already:
A) there is a target there
B) what the target is, how deep etc.
C) the ground
You can also adjust settings to suit all of the above & readjust to obtain optimal results for that test bed. This cannot be replicated in real world situations where you don't know some or all of the above & don't have the luxury of readjusting optimally over known targets to suit any ground or other changes.
I prefer real world results & the SDC certainly produced for me in the past. It will be an interesting comparison once I try the small coil. With the 11" coil there is a definite diminished signal in higher modes on various targets I've tried with various other setting adjustment like bias although I haven't dwelled on it to much AEGPF. IMO better off using as low a mode as the ground, coil & other settings will allow. It's still got good sensitivity.
In reality the SDC is vastly different to the QED. Both have pro's & con's so trying to say one is better than the other will only go around in circles. Some people will prefer one over the other for vastly different reasons! Just like GPX vs SDC really.

Again all so true in what you have said mbasko.

If you are able to get your hands on an 8" Coil for the QED set in a lower mode and other settings to suit the ground then as you say it will be an interesting comparison.

Although it can be hard to produce a true comparison to the SDC either over a buried target or in the real world over an in-situ undug target as both do have pro's and con's.

mbasko said:
Test bed results are just that - test bed results.
You know already:
A) there is a target there
B) what the target is, how deep etc.
C) the ground
You can also adjust settings to suit all of the above & readjust to obtain optimal results for that test bed. This cannot be replicated in real world situations where you don't know some or all of the above & don't have the luxury of readjusting optimally over known targets to suit any ground or other changes.
I prefer real world results & the SDC certainly produced for me in the past. It will be an interesting comparison once I try the small coil. With the 11" coil there is a definite diminished signal in higher modes on various targets I've tried with various other setting adjustment like bias although I haven't dwelled on it to much AEGPF. IMO better off using as low a mode as the ground, coil & other settings will allow. It's still got good sensitivity.
In reality the SDC is vastly different to the QED. Both have pro's & con's so trying to say one is better than the other will only go around in circles. Some people will prefer one over the other for vastly different reasons! Just like GPX vs SDC really.

If you can use a relatively low mode over your ground then its worth trying to get the bias set to under 50 to maximize the sensitivity to tiny gold.With a lower bias you must also re GB and adjust the volume down. Higher mode settings (sample delay) will progressively diminish the response to shorter TC targets but have a much smaller effect on longer TC targets. Taking the bias to under 50 may get back some of the "lost" sensitivity to tiny gold when higher mode settings are used. I would take the bias down to under 50 in small steps and check the results on your test nugget.
Interesting to see how you go.

I know I'm going to sound like an advert here :8 , but I just noticed the latest Detech/QED PL2 package from Detech Metal Detectors Australia (http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/qed-detech-complete-package):
1507114033_qed_detech_pl2a.jpg

1507114033_qed_detech_pl2b.jpg

This package is mighty impressive looking, IMHO - for $1,850 you get a lightweight (1.8kg), well-balanced looking, PI detector, complete with the latest 11 inch Detech spiral-wound mono coil. It certainly looks the business and I hope it does well in the marketplace - I reckon the ergonomics/pricing is first-class.

Hi ladys and gents Im new to this forum and Im buying the new QED2. Package has anyone seen any vid on this detector online by chance ?
Happy hunting and Ill be sure to make a few vids with it soon and post for everyone on the beach in deep black sand here and up in our gold fields in Scotland.
Happy 2018 all and your your golden pots be lined this year with some beautiful gold :)

Adventurerchris said:
Hi ladys and gents Im new to this forum and Im buying the new QED2. Package has anyone seen any vid on this detector online by chance ?
Happy hunting and Ill be sure to make a few vids with it soon and post for everyone on the beach in deep black sand here and up in our gold fields in Scotland.
Happy 2018 all and your your golden pots be lined this year with some beautiful gold :)

That's going to cost you a fortune in shipping charges to Scotland UK.

AEGPF said:
To all members,
I will not be posting anymore info or updates on the QED on this forum. If you want to know my reasons for this pm me.
cheers,
AEGPF

Thanks for all the effort you and Reg have put in here for members young and old, you have been a great help at helping folks to get to grip with their machines, and it is a big loss to the forum,

HH,

John.

Araratgold said:
AEGPF said:
To all members,
I will not be posting anymore info or updates on the QED on this forum. If you want to know my reasons for this pm me.
cheers,
AEGPF

Hallelujah !!

Rick

Exactly the response one would expect from an ex ML dealer!!! :lol:
Have a nice day at Ararat :)

AEGPF said:
Araratgold said:
AEGPF said:
To all members,
cheers,
AEGPF

Hallelujah !!

Rick

Blimey, that was short lived Doug. :(

You still cling to that " ex Minelab dealer " BS, don't you Doug. For the record, I ceased being a Minelab Dealer almost 11 years ago !

I have also owned and used Whites, Fisher and Goldscan detectors since then, but you know what Doug, I always come back to Minelab, because ATM they are still the best for gold prospecting, and have by far the best after sales service, bar none !

I personally think that Howard has done a commendable job in getting the QED to where it is, however, his cause is not helped by having an antagonistic mouthpiece spewing anti Minelab venom on the few remaining forums that he has not been banned from !

Rick

There is just no need to throw fuel on the fire and get another thread closed or deleted, Doug has his reasons and we should respect that,

AEGPF said:
Araratgold said:
AEGPF said:
To all members,
cheers,
AEGPF

Hallelujah !!

Rick

Geez Doug, I thought you were showing some great self control but it appears this was bound to happen eventually, you got a chance and well, blew it all by yourself doing the hard sell again.

Whatever your reasoning will be in your PM's you can only blame yourself as you were warned.

Yea the chap quoted me 150$ For postage

Im in the sw here but will hunt nuggets up there where I found them in the rivers and on the hills a few nice pieces to right near the top of a mountain with a old Garret scorpion stinger Vlf detector.

Yea its going to hurt a bit in postage but hay its great to have such good detector to use thats not in the gpx5000 price range my last Gpx 5000 was stolen before I worked in Canada which was really bad and I ended up just using a vlf gmt detector for a while and it worked well on the areas I used it in British Columbia

Ive been reading through the QED posts past few weeks and really like the machine esp the new QED2 model so Ill do my best to get to using it and making a few vids with it :)

As a tester and now user of the QED I am happy to provide what information I can to those who own one or are contemplating purchasing a QED.
Firstly may I lay out a few facts.
I have no financial or other vested interest in the QED other than offering training in the use of this and other brands of detectors.
I am not anti Minelab, (or any other make of detector), and own a number of ML detectors.
I do not know Doug personally, and have never met him.
I have no interest in being involved in slagging matches on this forum with people, who for what ever reason have an anti QED agenda.

It's no secret that for a number of reasons I enjoy prospecting with the QED, and like all detectors it is not perfect, however it is my 'weapon' of choice at the moment.
With the approval of this forum I would like to give whatever advice I can, not just on the QED, but in whatever capacity my experience in prospecting can provide.
With thanks, Reg.

Mod edit:
Note: Reg Wilson is no longer a QED tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reg, there is no problem with you or anyone else advising of the operation of the QED on this forum. All we ask is that there is no hard selling of the QED on here and also ask that any trouble from other forums does not spill over onto this forum. I will also ask to please let people approach you via PM for paid tuition, though there is the site supporter option if you would like to advertise your services here.

Thanks

Agreed with Both Heatho and Reg.
It is great and really appreciated to have you on board for the QED Reg. :Y: :Y:
In a kind way we are promoting Howard's machine and also adding to
the range of machines that are available to us all.
I actually am quite interested in one myself.
Just waiting to see how the equinox holds up.

Latest posts