Adelong, NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Phil,

This is an interesting passage. At that time I knew a fellow that lived on one end of the Adelong Bridge near the Adelong Caravan Park that undertook the prospecting method you described with the scuba diving gear. I saw a jar nearly full of coarse fines too. His family ran the Adelong Caravan Park then. This was the Whiting family. I knew the Whiting family well. For privacy reasons, I will not mention the fellows first name that undertook that prospecting method you described.

There was black mud along the Adelong Creek banks in the vicinity of the area of the Adelong Caravan Park, where you are referring to and gold would lodge itself into the black mud. The fellow with the scuba diving gear would get in around the black mud bank and loosen up the black mud bank by kicking and digging the black mud bank underwater, to open up the black mud areas.

Cheers

Peter

:)

Hello Uncle Bob,

I received an email message from you regarding coming to Adelong from the South Coast area but I am unable to reply by email because its a no-reply email sender.

Of course if you wanted to come this way for a weekend or other, I would be more than pleased to show you a couple of locations. First of all I could take you to the creek and forest areas outside of Adelong at Sharps Creek and Green Hills State Forest. You would need a State Forest Fossicking Permit. Please visit the website link below regarding the State Forest Fossicking Permit purchase.

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking

I am looking back over very old maps at the moment. They are hand drawn and hand written maps where many working mines existed around Adelong many years ago. I have some photos of those maps, which I will have to reference back to land property owners and to obtain GPS coordinates.

When this is done it would be a matter of contacting private property owners to seek permission for prospecting. The last private property owner asked for 50% of my findings. This was okay with me in agreement that I would leave the property clean and as I found it and fill all holes properly.

The Adelong Hotels had room rates at around $45.00 per room 6 months ago when my cousin came to the area for a family funeral. There would be camping locations including the Adelong Caravan Park where you could set up with your own camping gear.

There is the Adelong Alive Museum open on weekends, which has much gold mining memorabilia. Please visit the website link below.

http://www.adelong.org.au/adelong-alive-museum.html

Uncle Bob, I have come your way at times for holidays and work, so maybe you could just return the favour some day at this point in time.

Please be in contact should you wish to via my own website contact details from the website http://www.pjlinvestigations.com.au

I hope this reaches you Uncle Bob.

Cheers

Peter

Hllo Peter ,sounds like same gent for sure,he had his gear hanging up drying one day so got to having a bit of a chat and out came that jar of gold. Nice town, policeman there was a good fellow, put us on to a good camping spot out in the pines on the creek wth a few good holes around the plce, had some nice plate sized trout while there,always meant to get back there, some day, regards phill

Hello Phil,

Nice to hear from you. The Trout fishing is good up that way. It's been good again in the Adelong Creek over the last few years. Just recently Trout Cod have been introduced. It's unknown how this will go with the Trout.

Police were extremely helpful and we knew them through family in those times you communicate about. Like with changing legislation, I expect policing gets harder and results are required. There is never any harm asking police for information. There is a Local Police Officer at the old Adelong Police Station on a daily basis now. It seems more like a base to park the vehicle and head off on work but he still enters the office area. It's unlikely you would catch police there and even in Tumut the Police Station is closed often. It's best to just call Tumut Police Station to see if you can speak with police at the station or make you inquiries by telephone.

Cheers

Peter

Phill,

At this time in 1988 it could have been the McManus family that was running the Adelong Caravan Park, which I knew the family through work and socially. Either way, I am pretty sure we would be speaking of the same persons.

Adelong Caravan Park can be contacted via the website link below. Accommodation and prices are shown.

http://www.adelongcaravanpark.com.au/adelong_golden_gully_caravan_park/index.html

I discussed gold panning this morning with staff at the Adelong Alive Museum and had it explained to me that gold panning along the Adelong Creek, including the Adelong Falls area is okay but particular attention must be made not to disturb ground.

I spoke with Tumut Police on one occasion in the past and one officer there explained to me that metal detecting was okay at Adelong Falls if it was just surface detecting without digging.

In any case private land with permission and State Forest with a Fossicking Permit will allow sensible gold detecting, pan and sieve prospecting. I can not see how manual bank sluicing could be a problem if ground and waterways are not disturbed.

If in doubt please refer to A Guide to Fossicking in New South Wales or contact Tumut Local Council. Please see the website links below for further contact information.

https://firewood.sf.nsw.gov.au/A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF

http://www.tumut.nsw.gov.au

Cheers

Peter

I found some reliable resources. I checked these locations for access yesterday. There are several entry points around the town of Adelong, where you can access the Adelong Creek via public road and in camping areas, where there are no fences. A few electric fences along the creek are broken due to rain and the creek rising, over the last few months. They are the finer ribbon type electric fences to keep stock of the roadways mainly. At Wondalga well outside of Adelong, it's quite isolated but close to a reasonably busy public road. It's a popular spot.

1435745459_adelong_gold_mud_map_resize.jpg

1435745505_adelong_gold_mud_map_1_resize.jpg

1435745533_adelong_gold_mud_map_2.jpg

1435745600_adelong_gold_mud_map_3_resize.jpg

When you are coming this way, please make contact so we can catch up.

Cheers

Peter

HIGHBANKING IS ILLEGAL IN THIS STATE

Great thread. Sounds like an awesome place to visit and to fossick.
Thanks for sharing such detailed information about Adelong.
Terry

Considering the amount of Hg that comes out of the Adelong Creek I would not eat too many trout from that system.

Hello everyone ? heading to adelong this weekend anyone have any suggestions of where to pan
8)

Hey Maz! Anywhere downstream of the workings is a good place to start. There is gold there, but you have to know where the gold drops out of the flow or in a flood. Great results if you know how to do this. Last time I went to Adelong (a few months ago), I found a nice picker on the bedrock! Might be going again this week sometime. Anyway, good luck and hope you find something.

Syndyne said:
That was definitely the time to be in the Adelong Creek.

I could only imagine what they washed across the falls and recovered via hydraulic sluicing back in the early years.

If only we could go back in time :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

If able, it'd be even better to go back further. I don't recall the reference now, but growing up nearby, i recall reading how 'some' got lucky 'sweeping' the bluestone roadside gutters and getting gold from them (near the Barber's if i recall correctly).

I never got the chance to try the area myself though, and also heard the 'bigger' concerns had operations in the surrounding hills, not so much at towns edge....but town is the lowest spot in the area... ;)

Gypsy

Jack's Gems said:
Hey Maz! Anywhere downstream of the workings is a good place to start. There is gold there, but you have to know where the gold drops out of the flow or in a flood. Great results if you know how to do this. Last time I went to Adelong (a few months ago), I found a nice picker on the bedrock! Might be going again this week sometime. Anyway, good luck and hope you find something.

Good Luck Maz, and if you find my Great Great Grand Uncle's bones mingled with a couple of jars of alluvial AU be sure to let me know ;) ;)

GypsyGoldAu said:
Syndyne said:
That was definitely the time to be in the Adelong Creek.

I could only imagine what they washed across the falls and recovered via hydraulic sluicing back in the early years.

If only we could go back in time :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

If able, it'd be even better to go back further. I don't recall the reference now, but growing up nearby, i recall reading how 'some' got lucky 'sweeping' the bluestone roadside gutters and getting gold from them (near the Barber's if i recall correctly).

I never got the chance to try the area myself though, and also heard the 'bigger' concerns had operations in the surrounding hills, not so much at towns edge....but town is the lowest spot in the area... ;)

Gypsy

I know a place where a farmer pushed a pile of dirt along his dirt road to make it flatter, and the dirt was rich in gold! Not allowed to work the dirt even though the mining company wanted to dig up the road and run the dirt to recover the gold! :)

Hi Peter, like your post I am new to Prospecting Australia, "just joined". I would appreciate your offer on advice on finding my way around Adelong for metal detecting.

I live in Batlow so contact would be easy. I can be contacted on (Sorry, No Email address's allowed on the open forum ). also my name is Peter. Rgds.

Mod Squad Edit.
Please use the "Email " option under your Avatar place holder.
When you reach 10 post's,
The PM function plus more of the forum opens up.
and the post is from 2015. :D

Hi Peter111 and Hopeite,

I'm a newbie here also, living in Wagga Wagga and am thinking of having a go at detecting around Adelong on one of my days off. I know this thread started back in 2015, but are you guys still around and able to offer any insights regarding Adelong detecting places?

Cheers

Because this is an old thread,I would like to just remind anyone reading this information that highbanking (mentioned in post 17)is now banned in NSW.Great information otherwise.I would hate to hear of someone new to the hobby getting caught highbanking at Adelong thinking it was ok after reading this thread.

Hi all,

After being couch bound with a bulging disc for the last 3 months, I am finally on the mend and heading to Tumut for a week. I will be taking my new Gold Kruzer (that hasn't even fired a shot yet) and hope to spend a day or so detecting.

Not wanting specific spots, but are there forest areas locally where I might be lucky enough to find a lead shot or two and hopefully a bit of colour with the new detector?

Cheers.