Queensland Durakai GPA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meerkat said:
Hello All,

I have been an avid reader of this site.

As an active fossicker and prospector for more than 20 years and with my morals and bush etiquette I would never contemplate or even enter a mining lease without permission from the lease owner or holders.

Now just to clarify, ML50284 is an active mining lease and has been so for over 2 years and I just happen to know the lease owners personally.

I am very disappointed to read, as it appears in this thread, that someone would be prepared to enter a mining lease even by covering their face and number plates.

Therefore since reading this I feel it is my duty NOW to pass onto the lease owners what has been said in this thread in regards to some, and I emphasis SOME, fossickers morals and bush etiquette to do the wrong thing and enter a mining lease without proper permission.

Did you join up today just to post that?

Follow the rules, use GPS and maps well. Look after one another and most of all look after our planet.

I have stopped myself from even detecting certain spots, even in fossicking areas due to not wanting to disturb nature.

I guess the way you act out there and your attitude will come back around later on.

If I see a fence that says keep out, I don't question it, I just keep out. Who cares really, unless you own a claim on that site yourself.

There are a lot of financial burdens that go with mining, so people also need to respect that. Those couple of nuggets you find on someones lease could pay for their expenses and wages.

Be kind to one another. There is plenty of AU out there for us all to share. And bird shot!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meerkat said:
Hello All,

I have been an avid reader of this site.

As an active fossicker and prospector for more than 20 years and with my morals and bush etiquette I would never contemplate or even enter a mining lease without permission from the lease owner or holders.

Now just to clarify, ML50284 is an active mining lease and has been so for over 2 years and I just happen to know the lease owners personally.

I am very disappointed to read, as it appears in this thread, that someone would be prepared to enter a mining lease even by covering their face and number plates.

Therefore since reading this I feel it is my duty NOW to pass onto the lease owners what has been said in this thread in regards to some, and I emphasis SOME, fossickers morals and bush etiquette to do the wrong thing and enter a mining lease without proper permission.

Hi meerkat
Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see any reference to any suggestion of anyone entering a lease with faces and number plates covered in this thread as you have stated ! If it is there well I'm of to opsm !!! Lol

hAyyoUinAU said:
MikeB05 said:
Traprock Mining hold the three EPMs near Durikai.

I am going to rely on the QLD Govt issued fossicking maps...if for some reason they are not up to date...then it should be their problem not mine.

The photo below shows another view of the EPMshttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7270/1503446407_herries_range_map_web.jpg

I had already posted that and there is no problem with the approved fossicking areas. I have overlayed them and they are fine.

Exploration permits are totally different to mining leases.

Anyways.... Enjoy away people.

Yeah I realise you already posted the three EPMs at Durikai...your post was aerial photo...my posts of the same EPM shows the geology info. Just a bit of extra data for those interested :)

Ok for some reason i cant edit my original post,

But ignore the 3 EPMs you guys are talking about

There is the actual """MINING LEASE""" i have shown in a pic as per the governments current map database which is the red outline, the blue is the GPA and the pink is the EPMs

My original post was answered that we cannot go in there thanks to shorties information

Yup...im new and only using these maps as I dont want to begin with doing the wrong thing..just wanna find some nice nuggets!! ....I'll be out there Thursday with my new gpz7000, pick n scoop!!...if its not raining still haha

gonna try down caribean rd and where it meets up with rabbit fence rd...anyone had any luck in that pocket..or even straight off the cunningham hwy were that bend is on far west side???...basically rabbit fence rd & cunningham hwy...???

Dan78 said:
Yup...im new and only using these maps as I dont want to begin with doing the wrong thing..just wanna find some nice nuggets!! ....I'll be out there Thursday with my new gpz7000, pick n scoop!!...if its not raining still haha

gonna try down caribean rd and where it meets up with rabbit fence rd...anyone had any luck in that pocket..or even straight off the cunningham hwy were that bend is on far west side???...basically rabbit fence rd & cunningham hwy...???

Yeah that is the first spot I hit after I found those maps online. I found a .45g with the SDC the first time I went out, but that is where I met a couple there that were raking and basically go there every week for days on end.... with a ZED... tsk

I went back with ZED but had my 3 young kids so wasn't able to spend hours there, just a look and play. There is obviously gold still left there, but it is becoming harder to find I guess. I have a few spots around that area to inspect when I can get out there alone. Next week I will hopefully get 2 days out there so can report back and let you guys know how it went.

Good luck if you head out Thursday, I think it will be too wet according to weather forecast, but rain is always a good thing for spots like that.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback HayyouinAU!!

I'll let you know if a score a nugg or millions haha...gotta dream big!!

hAyyoUinAU said:
I found a .45g with the SDC the first time I went out, but that is where I met a couple there that were raking and basically go there every week for days on end.... with a ZED... tsk

From my source that couple are the ones who have detected those hundreds of nuggets by intense raking that particular spot including a 3oz piece with their GPZ. Therefore would have to be a rich alluvial area with diggings and more of this larger variety still to be detected.

Rush said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
I found a .45g with the SDC the first time I went out, but that is where I met a couple there that were raking and basically go there every week for days on end.... with a ZED... tsk

From my source that couple are the ones who have detected those hundreds of nuggets by intense raking that particular spot including a 3oz piece with their GPZ. Therefore would have to be a rich alluvial area with diggings and more of this larger variety still to be detected.

Yes, and they showed me too. They also go to the puddler and areas they said which are not GPA. Anyways each to their own, I'd prefer to get my gold without stepping on anybody's toes.

And everyone knows the main rule , "Never show ALL your GOLD" ;)

so got out to durikai again today...pulled up to spot....forgot pick in my rush to get out early! total idiot!! lol...drove to warwick to bunnings for quick fix..back out...haha!!

went to the "flogged/raked area at rabbit fence and carbean rd....totally different to spot i first explored...and noticed the raking paths..had a swing over but to no avail....but ended up finding about 9 pieces on outskirts and around ....of led, couple old .22 shells, old fence and shot..all deep.....still no gold..but will be back to score a damn nugget or several!! lol

When I see the raked paths there, I don't even bother and try to get away from that area. Only because the people doing it have a GPZ and if they didn't dig anything there is a high chance there is nothing there. I would suggest you try working from the old diggings and north east direction. That seems to be the channel from Canal Creek. The area in that corner section has had a lot of raking done. But then again, you never know I guess. Hell I picked up a piece down there... lol

We all know gold loves to play hide and seek.

History of the area points towards Talgai.... so in future that is where I will be spending some time when I get down there. At the moment, I am having a lot of fun with some places closer to home.

:D :D :D

Dan78 said:
so got out to durikai again today...pulled up to spot....forgot pick in my rush to get out early! total idiot!! lol...drove to warwick to bunnings for quick fix..back out...haha!!

went to the "flogged/raked area at rabbit fence and carbean rd....totally different to spot i first explored...and noticed the raking paths..had a swing over but to no avail....but ended up finding about 9 pieces on outskirts and around ....of led, couple old .22 shells, old fence and shot..all deep.....still no gold..but will be back to score a damn nugget or several!! lol

That would of shit me.... wow. And you drove all the way to Warwick and back again. Well done. That is commitment. That's how I like it. With that attitude you will be finding gold sooner than you think. Just research....look for Alluvial gold. That is important....look for places where known nuggets where found. That is my best tip for you. I am only new to this too, but it has served me well in such a short time.

And dig everything, especially screaming targets, they are often ignored as junk but can turnout to be golden 'junk'.

Hope to meet you out there one day. :Y:

hAyyoUinAU said:
When I see the raked paths there, I don't even bother and try to get away from that area. Only because the people doing it have a GPZ and if they didn't dig anything there is a high chance there is nothing there. I would suggest you try working from the old diggings and north east direction. That seems to be the channel from Canal Creek. The area in that corner section has had a lot of raking done. But then again, you never know I guess. Hell I picked up a piece down there... lol

History of the area points towards Talgai.... so in future that is where I will be spending some time when I get down there. At the moment, I am having a lot of fun with some places closer to home.

yeah nah.... a potato can own a GPZ, doesn't mean a potato can operate a GPZ :Y:

madtuna said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

yeah nah.... a potato can own a GPZ, doesn't mean a potato can operate a GPZ :Y:

Yeah these people that rake that area and spend nearly every other week there are no potatoes but....

But I know what you mean... that is the best mentality to have...to think that no matter who or what checked the area, that we can do it better...BUT ....when you are pressed for time, you have to make those decisions some times.

I like to consider an area covered only after I have passed over it....if that's kinda what you mean :Y:

yea I'm a bit of a potato lol - this is first ever metal detector!... ...hopefully next week get back out there

...and also booked in training for gpz..but they reckon if Im finding old shot pellets then doing the right thing & everything correct with gpz and the gold will come...just have to put in the time!!

Dan78 said:
yea I'm a bit of a potato lol - this is first ever metal detector!... ...hopefully next week get back out there

...and also booked in training for gpz..but they reckon if Im finding old shot pellets then doing the right thing & everything correct with gpz and the gold will come...just have to put in the time!!

You sound like you are doing the right thing. Just keep being persistent and it will work out. You are no potato. It is a metal detector, not rocket science.