Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if anyone who owns a gpx4500 has this problem with there detector (if it is a problem or normal). If I tap the lower
Or upper shaft with the coil wrapped around it, it sets the detector off. Sometimes twigs will flick and hit the shaft will do the same thing. Is this normal or a problem with the detector or coil?

Hi Kozi, without hearing it, it does sound like a too loose cable problem.

1. Firstly, I'd undo the cable from the detector and place the whole machine with shaft extended to your liking on the ground or a flat surface with the coil standing on its rear edge so the bottom is facing straight out across the ground.

2. Now instead of winding the cable around the lower shaft I'd run it straight up the side and secure it with tape or coil clips as supplied with NF coils or sold at most detector shops.

3. Wind it around the top shaft but not too loose or tight but enough so there is not too much excess where it meets the box.

4. Screw it in tightly.

Doing it as in step 1 gives you the right amount of free play in the cable where it leave the shaft and enters the coil when it's in normal detecting position.

The cable is wound very snug around the shaft. So snug I thought I may have did it too tight. There is enough play at the bottom closest to the coil but not enough to be flopping around.

If you got it new it would have come with 2 coils, have you tried the other one?
It shouldn't do that, make sure all plugs are in TIGHT.
Failing that if it's within warranty take it back to the shop.

1503306634_20170821_184223-1024x1365.jpg
madtuna said:
Hi Kozi, without hearing it, it does sound like a too loose cable problem.

1. Firstly, I'd undo the cable from the detector and place the whole machine with shaft extended to your liking on the ground or a flat surface with the coil standing on its rear edge so the bottom is facing straight out across the ground.

2. Now instead of winding the cable around the lower shaft I'd run it straight up the side and secure it with tape or coil clips as supplied with NF coils or sold at most detector shops.

3. Wind it around the top shaft but not too loose or tight but enough so there is not too much excess where it meets the box.

4. Screw it in tightly.

Doing it as in step 1 gives you the right amount of free play in the cable where it leave the shaft and enters the coil when it's in normal detecting position.
1503306658_20170821_184253-1024x1365.jpg
1503306674_20170821_184320-1024x1821.jpg
1503306689_20170821_184354-1024x1821.jpg

Hi guy's, I've been trying to research as much as I can on the 4500 as my new purchase should be here in a few weeks time (on layby), been going back over Minelab Gold's videos as well as going through the threads on this forum to get as much info as possible.

After watching this video, I see the importance of digging every faint target but when the signal is stronger and he shows you can't GB out a solid target does that mean that hot rocks and ground noise can be GB'd out?
If I get a good signal can I try and GB on it and if it disappears then it's ground or hot rock, if it stays strong then dig?

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2mXD4jhOb0[/video]

Bloody good question PP.
I have a view which I practice but don't want to corrupt you with possible incorrect advice so will watch the responses from more experienced operators.
I've been thinking a lot about this of late and wonder if I do the wrong thing.
Cheers

Any target can potentially be tracked out if you sweep over it enough times while in Tracking, it's just a lot easier with a very small target at depth and in particular in mineralised ground.

You'll mostly want to be in Fixed and just re-balance regularly with your quick trak button. If you find your regular rebalances are not keeping up with ground changes then you may want to use tracking.

Now the danger is that both ground and targets can be tracked out. Generally speaking, ground will track out very quickly, targets take longer. But if it sounds good you'll be pick in hand and digging before that happens. Scraping a few inches of ground off will usually tell the story.

Basically if you get a good signal you dig it. Never try to track it out. It's only after you've dug several hot rocks or hot pockets of ground that you may want to re-assess things.

Hey hey, looking for peoples best setting and coil combinations, please go into detail, just purchased a 4500, see so many people using after market coils and looking for better understanding of the combo, also why is the standard mono relegated to the box so quick, are they not up to the task, if so why dosnt minelab just work in conjunction with coil tech, anyway pounding thru Youtube vids and face book post looking for the answer lol Cheers

Please list your fav coil

The 11" Commander Mono is a very capable coil. Whilst newer similar size coils show greater sensitivity to small targets, they appear to be more prone to ground noise - particularly in wet ground. I found my first 100+ nuggets using that old gal. Looks very beaten up, but still works like new.
Re settings, it really depends on the ground conditions that you're in. In highly mineralised (hotter) grounds, we tend to drop back into Enhance. Start in Normal if you can for greater sensitivity. Refer post #25 in https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23031 for a chart on timings.
old hand has provided a very good settings for the 4500 - do a search.

Thanks for the advice, so in the coil area i see people comparing Nugget finder, evo and commando, differences ?

I just wanted to bump this great thread to keep it handy.

I'm trying to gain as much knowledge about settings and functions of the 4500 as possible before mine arrives in a few weeks, some great advice and tips from users here and I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions myself once I've been out in the field using it, already putting a folder together printing sections that I think will be handy to have on paper to re-read at my campsite when having some difficulties in the field.

Also thought this thread may be of use to a few other forum members that are starting new threads on the 4500 asking questions that could be answered by reading through this thread, hope it helps in some way.

That's awesome thanks HH, very handy and will see what differences between coils for the same area.
Cheers.

in the hand book for the gpx4500 it recommends not starting the engine of car while charging ,dose this mean you can not start engine and then plug in for charging as well?and charging can only be done with engine off

Latest posts