River sluice plans/ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
so I've decided I want to try to build a hand feeding river sluice and I've been searching on google and this forum's DIY section and I haven't been able to find measurements of the sluice run or feeder area so I'm just wondering if anyone has a sluice that they might be able to measure for me so i can have a crack at building one.
Also i'm a little confused with what is legal and what isn't, high banking in VIC is illegal Ive heard but what is the difference with a high banker and a sluice?
Thanks everyone :)

A good start with the flair of a sluice is to make it wide enough for a classifier to fit into, but reading your post now I'm not sure what you are after a highbanker or river sluice?

highbanking in Vic, still good to go, NSW became another party pooper state.

go check another post of mine, bear in mind I wrote it from the perspective of NSW

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=355505#p355505

oh yeah hehe welcome to a hobby that will keep you up of the night thinking about DIY, new ideas, new places and when will you get to do it next and if you probably should have just done one more bucket, just one more...... :p

Hey Chris,
well to be honest i didn't know what the difference was between a sluice and a HB but now i do i think haha im going to buy a better classifier so i suppose that will be my start point, how long would you recommend the sluice run to be?

yeah tell me about it, at least my wife is onboard with this latest hobby haha
thanks!

This is from an old post but maybe its what your looking for. I made this out of plastic and a heat gun ( hair dryers burn out ) alot of plastic shops will sell you a sheet of 3mm ABS plastic but if your lucky they sometimes have off cuts just the right size for a sluice box. Folding can be a little tricky so suggest practicing on little bits before trying to use a big peice. Would not be too hard to make a flared end for it to use as a sluice. This one does not have one because I ended up making it into a high banker.
1506846849_1498653213_20170628_220228.jpg

Google "Gold Rat Australia" mate

(I'm not affiliated with Dustin in anyway, I am just sold on the quality of his gear. It might seem pricey but its the mat you are paying for, if you look at his naked sluices you can see how it adds up)

Dream Mat will make your day so much easier, and the craftsmanship of his sluices are as good as it gets, buy the mat, buy the whole sluice if you like.
If you have the gear to DIY one awesome, make it 8"/10"/12" x 37" in size and if you will always have the opportunity to swap your mats out later.

On average a classifier runs around 14/15" (I tend to work in inches as a lot of our gear comes from the US, my first highbanker had Gold Hog mats in it and it's not fun working that out in metric units"

you need one more post Haydos :cool:

thats pretty cool gold freak is it flimsy at all? 3mm plastic sounds like it would bend abit?

he looks the buisness chris looks bloody good quality, so with dream mat you dont need riffles or a drop box or anything? thanks for the info!

ooooohhhh what happens at 10 posts? :party: :party:

Latest posts