Crevicing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if a brake bleeder would work ? This one is powered pneumaticly but you can also get manual powered ones.
1505428200_f5827777669ee698568c378b908d56929cccb343cc133699ccd263b7339a43d2cb739366b6d29c5643c7d256cddd9393cc663326c64600cec6a0ce.jpg

kazzgem said:
Hi, I had the same thing happen so I bought a 12v wet and dry vacuum cleaner with a little barrel from eBay, it is not over powerful but works a treat, I was thinking about buying a battery op leaf blower vac and giving that a try with the right fitting would have to work well.
I to have one (wet and dry) but about a year ago i was informed that they would or could be classed as a dredge depending who picked you up
So on that note i would be very careful where you use it

Gilly47 said:
anyone tried the BILGE pump conversion for yabby pumps, at marine chandlers, a blue plastic thingy

ray

1505439841_fsh-9110-2t.jpg

Yeah these guys work ok, they are a bit narrow so you really need to make sure your nozzle classifier is pretty small, otherwise they tend to clog up a bit. But looking at the 3 way hose connector they prob are around the same diameter. Pretty good for $12 though if you already have a yabby pump laying around, but it's not going to handle as much as some of the specifically made ones on the market eg Peacemakers

Saw it on ebay some where. Just type in medical vacuum pump. Approx 30 to 50 dollars. Dont know if it would work but it does look pretty kool.

I went out for a lazy day crevicing. Once again I came across some small pocket holes a meter above the water level on the down stream side in bed rock.
Small in size, and at first glance seemed a waste of time in volume sense. But I got I got my tools out, scraped the bulk out, and then filled the hole up with clean water and used my sucker bottle pipe. Nice flakes every time. Beats me how much gold must of flowed over the one peice of bed rock over a million years, and the chance of falling into the one small hole on the down river side.
I will be putting a larger catchment bottle to it, probably a 500ml.
The 3 way splitter needs to be changed, as a lot of water bypasses the bottle inlet and runs up into your sucker pipe, leading to gold fillings in your teeth with grit !
just spit that back into the pan!

The steel stem on this pipe can really allow you to accurately pin point little tight spots. You can even reverse blow water in the pocket to bring the material into the low point.
If theres going to any material left in the bottom, guarantee thats where the gold is.
Some holes appear to be the size of a deck of cards, but really open up to be big, with really hard jambed pebbles, dirt and the GOLD.
Small and over looked by so many can be much better than the big, obvious and worked over.

20xwater, that pump is a brilliant idea! $8.50 from bunnings now, I don't know why I bother building things sometimes. Haha.

Re 20xwater, that pump is a brilliant idea! $8.50 from bunnings now, I don't know why I bother building things sometimes. Haha.

Hi Lint44,
Which pump are you referring to?

Have just recently cut a second yabby pump of mine down to about 400mm. Reduced to a 12mm steel fuel line.
it dose involve retapping the thread on the shaft.
What ever measurement you cut off the outer sleave, take exactly the same off the brass shaft.
For about $35, dont think you can better it.
Its in your back pack with ease.
I do believe the Alvey yabby pummps are of better quality than those found at Annaconda.

The steel line with nut attached is at the bottom of the 4x4!
Sure you can guess the rest.
But it dose need to be braised to a socket.
but being removable allows for larger or small diameter shafts.
How many of you have left the full length version behind because you could carry it all?.
Then wished you had it with you after a hike?

That is an old alvey pump. The black poly fitting had the internal thread ground out. Using a dye grinder, the black poly after grinding will need deburring of the rough stuff left over with a good sharp knife. Using a GAS flame (not a heat gun!) Use quick passes over the ground area, till a nice shiny suface show. Cool in water. Then test fit to pump. Repeat as needed to get a nice fit.
For the silly buggars..... have a first aid kit handy.
No responsibility accepted for those who should be allowed to be around sharp and hot tools! :lol:
you will notice sum heat burn around the end of the pump.
This was heated at the final snug fit stage. Have wet rag handy to cool shaft and scrape of excess melted poly

I may be able to fab the first stage poly reducer for a reasonable price for the annoconda pumps. Light and freight should be reasonable cheap.
PM if interested. Bit of stuffing around even when you have the right tools.
think it was 50mm reduced to a 25mm first stage.
the 25mm poly riser fittings from bunnings are pretty cheap.
A 900mm riser can be cut into two extentions, a 300mm and a 600mm eg.
As they have a male thread at each end.

Latest posts