Hiking into Durikai

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shingles

Sounds like Durikai is the go then, might head out this weekend.

Does the gate go onto Durikai road ? As there seems to be another road at the other end of the fossicking area towards Thane, on Google maps.

go past glendons camping ground, up over the hill then as you run down the hill just as you get to the flat before the culvert you will see a gate to you left, i use to take my crewman all the way up to the twin sister mine.

Like bkm said, head in there. It has a hubcap on the gate. Pm me if you want more info ( a lot of lurkers on this site). :cool:

Well Lads, are you guys keen for a group trip, can be arranged and would be good.
Cheers
Brad....

Would be keen mate, but works got me flat out till the end of the year. Planning a big trip for December. But would love to do a sampling day trip soon.

Might head out to Durikai this weekend for a quick go, if the family lets me.

Fortunately/unfortunately off to work for a month on Monday, so could get together when I'm back.

Hi guys,

Is there any gold finds straight off the highway or do you have to travel in a fair bit before can start detecting?

I dont have a 4x4 either so would be short drive on the gravel before having to park up...

Heading there next week with gpz7000.

Cheers,
Dan

I have a friend who detects out that way has told me plenty of nuggets have been detected and still are at Canal Creek in the GPA with a GPZ after raking the ground which is not far from the highway. Also he said the so called puddler area although flogged is still producing nuggets with the GPZ and this spot apparently is close to the highway. As they say no area is flogged until one has done it over themselves especially if using a GPZ.

Thanks Rush!! sounds like a got the right detector!! lol! just gotta get out there and have a crack!!

I can't find canal creek on the map...is it in middle or top end of Durikai?

The western end of Durikai along Carbean Road.

From what I was told so far 600 nuggets or so mostly smaller in size had been detected with the GPZ after raking the ground in this particular GPA area.

Well worth a further detect with the GPZ and take a rake with you.

I do not think you are allowed to rake at all. I mean, raking the one spot you get a faint signal on is okay. But raking like what has been done at Carbean Rd is the reason why we will end up losing these areas.

I have not seen one area raked that has been put back to the way it was when they found it.

Found it, thanks Rush! I just have a pick and a scoop and the gpz lol...looking forward to just getting out there! tested the gpz on the beach...and got excited when I found an earring..so looking forward to potential of gold nuggets.

me and a mate are also gonna head to Drake next month...any tips/locations to check out there?

(I've got all fossick license for nsw and qld) nsw is cheap as!! haha

Thanks hayyouinAU...That sucks people F--- it up for others!! this is my first trip so don't have too much gear...just pick, scoop and gpz..better get some more supplies!

Pick, Scoop, GPS, Phone, Water and trusty ZED and you will not go wrong.

Note: Patience is the key (Visualise a nugget every time you swing in a goldfield and they will come eventually) Stay positive and stay GOLD.

hAyyoUinAU said:
I do not think you are allowed to rake at all. I mean, raking the one spot you get a faint signal on is okay. But raking like what has been done at Carbean Rd is the reason why we will end up losing these areas.

I have not seen one area raked that has been put back to the way it was when they found it.

Yes and most likely one reason why I have heard on the grapevine that a new Ranger in on the prowl in Durikai.

Rush said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

Yes and most likely one reason why I have heard on the grapevine that a new Ranger in on the prowl in Durikai.

Cool, he might see me picking up other peoples rubbish all the time or even filling in other peoples holes they leave behind. We don't cover the holes to cover out tracks, we cover them because we are suppose to leave the area exactly the same way we found it. (Minus the AU) That is the rule of fossicking.

I know of a couple I met there once that does it regularly. Tsk tsk. 1 rakes the other detects. Probably a smart thing to do if you have your own lease or property, but definitely a no no in the fossicking world.

Old timers left holes for many reasons, and it was their lively hood. Modern day detectorist leave holes and make a mess because they are lazy and don't care.

I say, get caught raking, get your licence cancelled. Simple.

Believe it or not, we are also not supposed to exhaust the area of minerals, and are to leave enough behind for others. That's a funny one that one, especially with GOLD.
LOL

My theory on that one is that there is always gold left behind, it is just out of reach. lol

yea..well from what I've read everywhere has been through many times over many years. and exhausted all areas..but still keep seeing people finding nuggets and l can imagine the plenty that aren't showing what they find..so i believe there's plenty for everyone still.

yea..no raking for me..too much crap to carry lol!

bet they've cleared out most of the bullets and bottle caps lol ..and hopefully i can find the deep stuff with the gpz! itchin to get out there! hope the rain clears by next week!

That would be cool! I'll be heading out on Thursday morning...hopefully get there about 7/8am :Y: