Which gold detector to buy for mineralized rocky ground

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Recently i went to an old gold mine area in the mountains near ditma. The ground was incredibly rocky and i just couldnt get the xp deus to work there everything was a signal pretty much and after the frustration i just did not bother. However maybe it was the wrong tool for the job. Most definitely.
The question is.. what detector would be suitable for highly mineralized rocky ground that can keep quiet and make a noise when i walk over a target. Is the gold bug pro too amatureish for the task or am i needing somethung more like the atx or 2300?

treasureman said:
Hi everyone
Recently i went to an old gold mine area in the mountains near ditma. The ground was incredibly rocky and i just couldnt get the xp deus to work there everything was a signal pretty much and after the frustration i just did not bother. However maybe it was the wrong tool for the job. Most definitely.
The question is.. what detector would be suitable for highly mineralized rocky ground that can keep quiet and make a noise when i walk over a target. Is the gold bug pro too amatureish for the task or am i needing somethung more like the atx or 2300?

There is nothing amatureish about the GB II, It is a very serious Gold Machine indeed, but for the area you describe you need the SDC not the ATX, The ATX like the SDC is a converted minesweeper and a cross between a GPX and the SDC and it fits somewhere in between, In hot ground and hot mullock heaps you need the SDC because any gold that would be found there would be Tiny so the SDC would be the best tool for the job, the GB II would work in mullock heaps where they are not too hot,

hope that helps,

john.

Coil and program used?

When it gets nasty Deus will prefer to run like a coin machine, think program 9 and discriminate HARD like to +10 or so.

Ground balance is very important so watch that and adjust as needed.
If it changes a lot use the tracking balance that will help some. But of all the settings this is the most important to be right, 2 notches out can mean the difference between chaos and calm.

In Program 10 use threshold to break up the hot rock and bad signals, the good targets will shine through.

Reactivity can also play a part, in that nasty ground go to 3 or 4, this will sharpen up the good signals and flatten the bad ones.

Last if it is just very very nasty, then drop your frequency a bit and wind back the sensitivity a tad as well.

It can be tamed in those type of area's it's just a matter of getting used to what to change when. Deus is never a super quiet machine, it will read very subtle changes in the ground but a quick 90 degree turn and if it don't repeat walk off.

My Best tip is to run program 9 and 10 together, Use 9 s the checker program but wind up the discrim unless you prefer to hear the iron tones, My preference.
But if 10 is getting outta control switch to 9 for a more pleasant experience.

It will equal any of the VLF's out there, next step up would be to go sdc or even 4500.

I run a 5000 (twice) but have been cleaning the spots with the Deus first then going in low and slow with the 5000. Done it twice so far and the only thing holding me back from finding gold is ME getting used to this whole gold finding scene, way different to my normal coin shooting.

Cheers Big Fella, any drama or for a chat give me a buzz anytime mate.

Clegy

I know exactly where you have been.
Got a good friend in prossie.
He runs both the gb.II and the sdc.
Trust me when I say, both can and do have trouble up there .
Very noise ground with lots of hot rocks.
Some areas, you just can't detect.
You will just have to work the areas that you can, and play with settings, as the ground can change very quickly up there.
Hope this helps you.

XIV said:
I know exactly where you have been.
Got a good friend in prossie.
He runs both the gb.II and the sdc.
Trust me when I say, both can and do have trouble up there .
Very noise ground with lots of hot rocks.
Some areas, you just can't detect.
You will just have to work the areas that you can, and play with settings, as the ground can change very quickly up there.
Hope this helps you.
Yes maybe its just a horrible spot. I mean everything was a signal. I was dumb founded actually. Does the sdc struggle there to. Hmmm

clegy said:
Coil and program used?

When it gets nasty Deus will prefer to run like a coin machine, think program 9 and discriminate HARD like to +10 or so.

If it changes a lot use the tracking balance that will help some. But of all the settings this is the most important to be right, 2 notches out can mean the difference between chaos and calm.

In Program 10 use threshold to break up the hot rock and bad signals, the good targets will shine through.

Reactivity can also play a part, in that nasty ground go to 3 or 4, this will sharpen up the good signals and flatten the bad ones.

Last if it is just very very nasty, then drop your frequency a bit and wind back the sensitivity a tad as well.

It can be tamed in those type of area's it's just a matter of getting used to what to change when. Deus is never a super quiet machine, it will read very subtle changes in the ground but a quick 90 degree turn and if it don't repeat walk off.

My Best tip is to run program 9 and 10 together, Use 9 s the checker program but wind up the discrim unless you prefer to hear the iron tones, My preference.

It will equal any of the VLF's out there, next step up would be to go sdc or even 4500.

I run a 5000 (twice) but have been cleaning the spots with the Deus first then going in low and slow with the 5000. Done it twice so far and the only thing holding me back from finding gold is ME getting used to this whole gold finding scene, way different to my normal coin shooting.

Clegy

Coil used standard 9 inch.
I tried many setting clegy. Even knocked the sens back to 50. React 3. Goldfield, gm power, beach. I went through every setting. Perhaps youd have had better experience there. However after hearing xiv saying sdc struggles perhaps it was just the ground? Im in uk atm. Have the deus with me. Havent used it. Itching to.

treasureman said:
clegy said:
Coil and program used?

Clegy

I tried many setting clegy. Even knocked the sens back to 50. React 3. Goldfield, gm power, beach. I went through every setting. Perhaps youd have had better experience there. However after hearing xiv saying sdc struggles perhaps it was just the ground? Im in uk atm. Have the deus with me. Havent used it. Itching to.

Well for the UK you have the best machine for the job, If you need to find out what settings are needed for where you are you could give Regtons a call because they are the main dealer over here,

heres their number, ok. 0121 359 2379

hope that helps,

J.

Sweet, the white coils will handle the ground better and the elliptical would be the best for hot ground. If the SDC is struggling then it's a wild little area for sure.

Have Fun in the UK mate, Hit a rally and you'll meet heaps of Deus users. I find the settings not that much different from here and like all deus owners each person seems to have their little preferred tweak.

I know Garry Blackwell runs a few Deus courses over there and that may be worth attending if you get the chance.

Cheers mate

Clegy

Ridge Runner said:
treasureman said:
clegy said:
Coil and program used?

Clegy

Well for the UK you have the best machine for the job, If you need to find out what settings are needed for where you are you could give Regtons a call because they are the main dealer over here,

heres their number, ok. 0121 359 2379

hope that helps,

J.
Best machine for the job just no opportunities.
I have one horse paddock and bushland next door. Plan to organise tnst this weekend maybe or soon as possible.
Also the norfolk meet but wondering if its worth it

clegy said:

Sweet, the white coils will handle the ground better and the elliptical would be the best for hot ground. If the SDC is struggling then it's a wild little area for sure.

Have Fun in the UK mate, Hit a rally and you'll meet heaps of Deus users. I find the settings not that much different from here and like all deus owners each person seems to have their little preferred tweak.

I know Garry Blackwell runs a few Deus courses over there and that may be worth attending if you get the chance.

Cheers mate

Clegy
Im ok with the deus on soil and have my own beast settings. Its an awesome machine and never boring to use. Just have no opportunities atm. Possiblg going to finland for 3 days so thst will be interesting. The area at ditma is wild in terms of mineralised ground. Your going on a road trip soon? Where do you plan on going? Also do you only use the deus or do you have dedicate goldd achine gpz?

The Deus is a few years old and will never compete with the well designed 2017 models.The Nokta Impact is one such detector which arrived in Australia in May 2017.It is in my opinion underpriced for all the features it incorporates.A French made detector will never be able to compete with Turkey on price,hence why it is AUD 1000 dearer. France has strict minimum wages policy much like Australia but Turkey is totally liberal and un regulated and can use workers from Iraq and Syria and pay them much less if they want to.Turkeys industrial capacity is growing at a phenomenal pace and in the next few years will outperform many industrial European countries in sales of manufactured items.
The Impact is currently the best VLF detector for use in very highly mineralised ground and will also I suspect will go the deepest in DEEP mode for larger nuggets.It is perfectly suited for gold prospecting here in Australia.It even has the COG mode for use in extreme mineralisation where many PI detectors cant go.It can tone discriminate out the many hot rocks here Victoria,s Golden Triangle,and saves lots of unnecessary digging.

In case you did not know the XP Deus had V4 update a short while ago with high frequency coil to match, and as such the Deus is the machine to beat, The Impact did not deliver as promised compared to the pre market hype, The Impact is a very good machine but I would give the edge to the Deus and the CTX, both are a year or two old. :Y:

oldtimerROB said:
treasureman cant get it to work at the gold mine.Thats proof enough for me.

Well it most likely was his first time at such a site, Some machines have to be set to suit the site and others are more forgiving, The only perfect detector is the one that suits your needs the closest and that has nothing to do with brands, but it says more about the user and the local ground conditions than it does the machine being used.

Latest posts