is this what I'm looking for ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im a newbie. I have found a few interesting pieces but are they pieces
I should be looking for

The black piece is the only black piece I've seen on the property most are the yellow slate with a smaller amount of the red slate

1506658003_img_6026.jpg
1506658043_img_6027.jpg

The top right piece in the second photo looks on the money for me - almost a conglomerate in places of quartz in ironstone. The quartz indicates that hydrothermal mineral solutions were in motion (in Vic), whilst the red/brown iron stains in the quartz show that other etched materials are precipitating - such as gold. I believe that iron and gold have an affinity, as many of my coarser nuggets have been in/with ironstone.
Sometimes, iron laterites have formed around gold nuggets that have been in the ground a long time (viz surface iron being dissolved from the ironstones by Carbonic acid in the rain, and concentrating around gold particles), whilst on others, it was evident that gold and ironstone formed together, as when the ironstone was etched out, the interior of the nuggets showed fine fingers (ie: not elluvial or alluvial) and were highly crystalline.
This concept is just my understanding, - if I am off target, will someone more knowledgeable please speak out.

I think you're on the money there Bigwave. Maffic hydrothermal....and ironstone conglomerates.....! Interesting to see what you'll find if you crush them up....??

Got my dolly pot ready to crush it up but have some mosey visitors here. Will have to wait patiently but will report back

Thanks for the info and advice. Much appreciated by this newbie

Found these when walking the dogs this morning. Would these peak anyone's interest. Front and back shown

I just want to make sure I'm looking for the right ones and not throwing the wrong ones away

1506821935_img_6030.jpg
1506822137_img_6029.jpg

Definitely the right kind of rocks - particularly the second and last.
It's pretty rare to just pick up rocks with gold in them.
I see hundreds of similar in the gold fields, but they rarely set off the detector.

BigWave said:
Definitely the right kind of rocks - particularly the second and last.
It's pretty rare to just pick up rocks with gold in them.
I see hundreds of similar in the gold fields, but they rarely set off the detector.

I'm not lucky enough to have a detector yet - that will be my next question, which one do I buy ??