Deus Target Separation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Write Up Goldpick, I think I should get you to write a few blog posts for me. LOL

I agree 100% where Deus gets confused is those single metal, uniform shape items. Both square and round. Iron Included.

It's like the machine says "OK I'm pretty sure this is iron but here is a sweet High tone because you really need to check this one"

Like goldpick said Iron Rings are the worst as they tone so sweet when deep. I think the machine is doing the job of saying to you "hey this is a uniform shaped object made of one metal it's a digger"

Off shapes, jagged edges etc seem to give themselves up pretty well, except roofing iron as mentioned. That stuff has some serious explaining to do. A rake can help a lot I have found, but you need to be keen.

On your local sites I love that technique of peeling away the layers and seeing what lies beneath, you have the time when local to do that. You can visit a site many many times and really get to know the land. Swapping frequencies, coils and even swing speeds and techniques.

Yet when I travel and that seems to be a fair bit lately, I am the worlds biggest cherry picker and sometimes I may be in a town for an hour and i won't be back again for a long time if at all. Hot program, Balance and go in these cases.

That's where the Deus is a great little machine for cherry picking a few targets to keep the buzz on, folding it up and heading off to the next time I need a Ablutions stop or I see something that just says "DETECT ME". Got one of my best silver rings in a rest stop, right next to the overflowing bin. Thought I pinged on some rubbish but a quick scrape with the boot and the target was still there. 3-4 inches and just a beautiful gothic looking piece with a big Citrine. Dropped when muddy I am guessing.

Really Enjoying this thread and seeing how 2 people (Norvic and Goldpick) use the machines so differently yet still get very impressive results between them.

VERSATILITY is the Keyword I believe with the deus as seen in this thread you run it how you like it and for what works for you, there are no set rules so to speak and you can tailor the machine exactly for YOUR hunting style and particular target.

After Reading this I think I will experiment more with slower reactivity speeds and slower swing speeds, one gets hooked on the fast swing and quick recovery sometimes but learning the 5000 has me appreciating what can be achieved with a slow and steady approach.

Cheers Guys

SinHof I'm In Newy Till Wednesday if you want any assistance with that Deus mate. But by bringing those targets home I reckon you're well on to it mate. I am a big advocate of backyard practice sessions.

Clegy

I think a really slow swing speed in trashy areas is the key when using any detector. If you go over a trashy area quickly the first time you will always find more good targets going over it slowly on subsequent passes.

Raise your reactivity, run negative discrim, you must use full tones, swing slowly, change angles on iffy signals, lift your coil/size via pinpointing, and remove louder signals around suspected masked ones. I enjoy the challenge of, plucking a small silver sleeping with iron :) In a way iron is the bugbear of the deus, but in a way its a blessing, it forces you to really check, it doesnt want you to walk away from treasure.

Hi Folks,
Goldpick, many thanks for putting in the time to pen the essay on the Deus it is much appreciated, I will print it out and and put it in my Deus folder that follows me around. Thanks also to Norvic and Clegy et al for their information, as most have said, it's a case of putting in a lot more time with the Deus and making various but small adjustments to the selected programs most suited to the ground being covered.
The old site that I was able to access last week, with hind sight, was probably a bad place to try and gain some working knowledge on the Deus, the area is absolutely covered in all manner of rusting iron/steel ranging in size from a gram or two up to several kilos and at various depths; around the old buildings or whats left of them the Deus just went ballistic, tone wise, sounded a bit like an orchestra warming up and a bad one at that.
Thanks again everyone for the information.
Cheers, SinHof.

My feeling on the reactivity is the higher it is the less the Deus locks onto a target not saying higher settings misses targets just does not seem to single out the nice tone as well but with a higher reactivity seems to blend some of the tones together. But like anything in detecting when doing a site use all settings available to find all the desirable targets.

It is just training your ears, a subconcious understanding of what they hear. Just takes time.

clegy said:
Great Write Up Goldpick, I think I should get you to write a few blog posts for me. LOL

I agree 100% where Deus gets confused is those single metal, uniform shape items. Both square and round. Iron Included.

It's like the machine says "OK I'm pretty sure this is iron but here is a sweet High tone because you really need to check this one"

Like goldpick said Iron Rings are the worst as they tone so sweet when deep. I think the machine is doing the job of saying to you "hey this is a uniform shaped object made of one metal it's a digger"

Off shapes, jagged edges etc seem to give themselves up pretty well, except roofing iron as mentioned. That stuff has some serious explaining to do. A rake can help a lot I have found, but you need to be keen.

On your local sites I love that technique of peeling away the layers and seeing what lies beneath, you have the time when local to do that. You can visit a site many many times and really get to know the land. Swapping frequencies, coils and even swing speeds and techniques.

Yet when I travel and that seems to be a fair bit lately, I am the worlds biggest cherry picker and sometimes I may be in a town for an hour and i won't be back again for a long time if at all. Hot program, Balance and go in these cases.

That's where the Deus is a great little machine for cherry picking a few targets to keep the buzz on, folding it up and heading off to the next time I need a Ablutions stop or I see something that just says "DETECT ME". Got one of my best silver rings in a rest stop, right next to the overflowing bin. Thought I pinged on some rubbish but a quick scrape with the boot and the target was still there. 3-4 inches and just a beautiful gothic looking piece with a big Citrine. Dropped when muddy I am guessing.

Really Enjoying this thread and seeing how 2 people (Norvic and Goldpick) use the machines so differently yet still get very impressive results between them.

VERSATILITY is the Keyword I believe with the deus as seen in this thread you run it how you like it and for what works for you, there are no set rules so to speak and you can tailor the machine exactly for YOUR hunting style and particular target.

After Reading this I think I will experiment more with slower reactivity speeds and slower swing speeds, one gets hooked on the fast swing and quick recovery sometimes but learning the 5000 has me appreciating what can be achieved with a slow and steady approach.

Cheers Guys

SinHof I'm In Newy Till Wednesday if you want any assistance with that Deus mate. But by bringing those targets home I reckon you're well on to it mate. I am a big advocate of backyard practice sessions.

Clegy

Whatever works for the individual user Clegy, you could probably ask 20 Deus users on how they set up their detector, and how they approach detecting a site, and you will probably get 20 completely different answers. It is also very site dependant, hence why the usual forum question of "what program settings are you running" slightly irrelevant -- base programs are fine, specific settings not so much.

Probably the reason why I can get away with running reactivity 3 for general detecting is due to the low mineralisation in my area, plus the deep low/mid conductors that litter such sites warrant a higher frequency for improved response. We are talking sandy well drained soils that not only leave coins in fantastic condition, but allow me to reach down to targets beyond the 10" range. After negotiating the junkier areas and completing several initial sweeps of the area, I'll drop the reactivity down and boost the audio response for the deeper targets, and frequency down to 12 on occasions.

Ground balance for is also less of a concern on ground with low mineralisation, in fact I rarely ever ground balance my Deus (let me think, nope can't remember the last time, other than at the beach), so long as that mineralisation bar on the right of the screen stays put, if it gets pumping, then things get adjusted - pretty much always stays on 90. Yes you can drop the GB down to try and squeeze some more depth from the detector, though things can get pretty busy with the added noise, along with fulltones and negative discrimination (poor ears). Much prefer to run with a quiet and stable GB, there are other settings available for user to gain extra depth without sacrificing your sanity. :D

Spot on Goldpick, sweet bugger all is written in concrete, one could debate what makes a particular detector the best for trash sites until the cows come home, when it comes down to the hunt, is what a particular user is using and how he`s scoring with it on a particular site that is his concern. No definites just horses for courses.

I ran reactivity 3 for the entire hunt today, its what I have been working towards, for a few hunts now.

2.5, and flicking to 3. But just sticking with 3 now....nearly all our sites will suit it.

Latest posts