SDC2300 v Goldmonster 1000 (GM 1000)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just been reading some reviews of the Gold Monster 1000 and they seem like they are doing a great job..They are less than half the price of the SDC2300 so is the SDC2300 twice the detector?? The reason I am asking is that I have a GPX4500 but due to time constraints I don't get out often enough to learn how to use it to it's full potential and am thinking of getting a plug and play machine so that when time permits I can just turn it on and enjoy the search.Any thoughts??

Cheers...

As far as I know Sparra it depends a lot on the ground you are going to work , mild ground the VLF Monster will do ok but struggle in the highly mineralised ground where the PI SDC will get the points . The other VLF bonus though is the way it handles EMI from what I understand.

But happy to be corrected :)

Recently sold my SDC as I just wasn't using it as I always grabbed the Z first.

Only time I really used the SDC in the last 6 months was putting it in the back pack and walking in to a reef/mine location.

Purchased a GM a few weeks ago and have used it 5 times now. Finds incredibly small gold and in gold mode and auto sensitivity it seems pretty good on hot ground/rocks - but will vary from one location to the next I'm sure.

Probably losing some depth compared to the SDC but I dug a bit of cigarette foil this afternoon that would have been at least 7 inches down - so will certainly pick up a bit of gold if it's a decent bit. And dug the foil today as it indicated on the gold side of the indicator only.

I'm very happy with my decision so far. It's very light and very simple to use and it seems to compliment the Z very well. You already have a PI in the GPX so maybe a GM would compliment your situation too?

I wrote a little blurb about how it handled in the 'Gold detecting show n tell' page a few days show if you're interested.

And it's $2500 cheaper than an SDC :D

Monster probably a great little unit but don't think it will ever be an SDC beater especially in Australian conditions. One thing I love about the SDC apart from it's gold sniffing capabilities that have been documented over and over is that if after one spends many hours and dollars getting out to detect if it starts raining for a few days you have to pack up the GPX and Z's or risk damage :/ Out comes the SDC that's happy to wallow in the wet stuff with no risk of damage. Beats the hell out of sitting in the tent wishing the clouds away. Just another SDC plus I guess and if it was on a menu would come under Surf N Turf :) Nice to have yet another option but that may suit the needs and use of some :Y:

True bogger but then the GM coils are waterproof and the controls are rain proof.

It probably also depends a bit on who is going to the use the SDC or GM. If it is a second machine for Sparra only then does an SDC really compliment the GPX? If it is for a partner or kid then the SDC might be a better option due to its ease of use and great mineralized soil capabilities.

I bought the SDC for the river and for my wife who was quite adamant she would be joining me detecting. That lasted about 3 sessions. And the river is FULL of sinkers :rolleyes: So for me the SDC was sitting idle.

I assume the same thing may happen with a GPX owner unless they have someone tagging along.

Sparra said:
I have just been reading some reviews of the Gold Monster 1000 and they seem like they are doing a great job..They are less than half the price of the SDC2300 so is the SDC2300 twice the detector??

You can't really compare a VLF machine to a PI machine. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Until recently I have only been using VLF machines, they can do quite well when used properly. I bought myself an SDC 2300 & GPX 4500 but I'm still keeping my X-Terra 705 because it's a different technology and has it's advantages:

A VLF machine like the Gold Monster or X-Terra uses less power, is less sensitive to EMI, has discrimination and good for small nuggets with the right coil.

The SDC is limited to the one coil, is good on small gold but uses more power and is more sensitive to EMI with no discrimination.

That said, unless you're going detecting often you probably don't want several machines sitting around. The Gold Monster will find gold and does fit your requirements of fast set up and go. It's a lot less cumbersome than a GPX.

I'm seeing all good things about the GM1000 on other sites and this one.
I'm in the market of buying a detector but still saving up.. I cant afford the GM1000 now with some change or do I keep saving so I can get the SDC2300.

is the SDC2300 that much better to warrant the extra 2.5g's?

Sdc is brilliant I started with a Garrett ATGold it is a good machine but does not come near the sdc if you can keep saving and get the sdc you won't be disappointed and it won't take you long to find some gold with it cheers Muk.

SDC all the way, I have both and if I was to have only one it would definitely be the SDC. GM1000 is good to have in the kit if you can afford it.
Save up the extra cash if you can and go the SDC.

If you don't have a choice due to funds go the GM1000 and get used to it. Once you get the hang of it (and stop comparing it to PI machines as I did) and let it do what it does best you will find gold.

Good luck.

Goldflower said:
SDC all the way, I have both and if I was to have only one it would definitely be the SDC. GM1000 is good to have in the kit if you can afford it.
Save up the extra cash if you can and go the SDC.

If you don't have a choice due to funds go the GM1000 and get used to it. Once you get the hang of it (and stop comparing it to PI machines as I did) and let it do what it does best you will find gold.

Good luck.

Yep, that's the mistake everyone makes, a VLF/LF is a totally different beast.

J.

Hi everyone. Just joined, first time poster. I recently moved to a known gold bearing area so i purchased a Gold Monster as an entry level detector for fine gold with the mindset that i was taking up a new hobby. I found a few little pieces and was very impressed overall, but after reading all the reviews and being totally hooked on detecting after my little finds i decided to "upgrade" to an SDC. I just have to say....and i say this through gritted teeth because this thing was f*** expensive for a student....that i'm extremely disappointed with the SDC after using the monster.

At this point, i would like to pause, backtrack a little bit and explain how i arrived at this point.

The GM instruction manual talks a big game regarding its auto and auto plus settings. The first 5 days of ownership proved this to be absolutely rubbish in Australian conditions and was the primary driving force in my decision to upgrade - the auto and auto plus settings are incredibly agressive and significantly decrease the sensitivity of the detector in the mineralised soil we have around here (warwick). I found my first gold nugget on day 5 after realising that manually setting the detector's sensitivity relatively high (around 6-7) and leaving it on gold only discrimination gave almost the same sensitivity to my little gold test target as the so-called 'deep all metal mode' but with much fewer false positives from hot rocks and mineralisation. Although i still got false positives, they were minor in tone and NOT repeatable making them easy to ignore and allowed me to continue detecting. The same gold target i used for testing did not register on the SDC - i repeat - did NOT register....AT ALL.
The SDC is immune to the hot rocks in this area which is great - i mean REALLY great. The GM would beep on everything coloured red and riding on the surface in all metal mode which got really annoying really quickly, necessitating the need for switching to gold only mode which made a huge difference when activated. Even in gold only mode (from my experience) the GM is more sensitive and will give a nice solid beep on a known fine gold target where the SDC signal is indistinguishable from its idle babble on the same target. Saying that the SDC is the gold standard in super fine gold is, in my experience a huge myth.

This is a big problem for me because my gold monster is now on ebay, with active bids (meaning it will sell), and i wonder now after using the SDC whether i am making the right decision. Honestly, every fibre of my being wants to go back to the monster. Sure it takes some getting used to and is prone to false positives....but it HAS found gold. To this date, here in Warwick, the SDC has not.

My summary - GM users should set their sensitivity high manually and leave the detector on gold only mode. Swing back and forth to find targets that repeat. SDC users enjoy your walk in the forest until you come across birdshot on the surface or a gold target large enough to register.

Latest posts