Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to add an experience we ( a group of people ) encountered on the upper reaches of the Wellington River above Licola several years ago. Happily sitting in the river having a few ales as you do, the 10 year old kids splashing around in the shallow water, when suddenly 2 of them disappeared into holes about 7 feet deep that had been left from dredgers. When we investigated a bit more we found another 3 or 4 holes, all around 7 or 8 feet across and 5 to 8 feet deep. The rest of the river was about 18" deep mostly, so these holes that the dredgers left were quite dangerous.

I don't know if that was normal behaviour for dredgers, but it left a sour taste in our mouths :N:

Very well said Tathradj.... :Y:

Im Hoping 'Something' happens to my 'mate' with his 6'' and 8'' Dredge.... Hopefully the 'Rangers' read this and send me a PM.. :/ :Y:

LW....

AN INTERESTING READ THERE 7.62! 8) Just got my sight back from reading all the findings of the Vic Inquiry. 8)
Avery..somewhat, 'open ended' conclusion :/ ...A few ...too many..'likely to be significant's' for me ]:D but something that would be very useful, in reference to our plight here in NSW. :Y: Thanks for bringing it to light Ken. :D :cool:

xcvator said:
I'd like to add an experience we ( a group of people ) encountered on the upper reaches of the Wellington River above Licola several years ago. Happily sitting in the river having a few ales as you do, the 10 year old kids splashing around in the shallow water, when suddenly 2 of them disappeared into holes about 7 feet deep that had been left from dredgers. When we investigated a bit more we found another 3 or 4 holes, all around 7 or 8 feet across and 5 to 8 feet deep. The rest of the river was about 18" deep mostly, so these holes that the dredgers left were quite dangerous.

I don't know if that was normal behaviour for dredgers, but it left a sour taste in our mouths :N:

Are you sure that was caused by dredgers? I didn't think there was any gold anywhere near that area.

I used to dredge back when they were legal, had a 3 keene which I did pretty good out of.I dredged a private part of the Turon river near Sofala with the cockys permission. he used to come down and remark about how he couldnt tell I had been there as I only dredged the running water, The turon is a very fast flowing river and there is little mud\dirt within the banks to stir up with the water that entered the dredge just as clean when it left, Had a six month break during which time dredges were banned and the cocky showed me what happened when he let another person on, they worked in around trees [100 year old oaks] undermined the bank muddied up the water etc, Next flood trees and banks disappeared downstream this is why they were banned. Dont think they will ever be allowed again better to try and keep what we have now even if we have to confront those doing the wrong thing,Cant understand people putting pics of their weekend efforts on forums showing the big hole they dug on the bank.

No chance of it been legal again here in Australia, mainly due to the numbers of people that would be doing it! :eek: :( :N:
Your right Lewy about holes dug into banks.

When dredging was legal in Victoria and the maximum amount of licences issued at best was around 650 gold dredging was blamed for significant bank-side erosion.
One spot the Greenies pointed out was actually caused by natural River Flooding, the location was used as evidence to halt and ban dredging.

Hi guys Im new to this forum and I am looking to buy a used gold dredge if someone selling any.
I am interested on 3 to 5 inch.
I live in Cairns and doing prospecting in New Guinea.

That is not a very big dredge. Under powered and poorly set up. I did some dredging back in the 70s before it became illegal. We used a 10hp Honda with 3" inlet pump and 5" suction hose, mounted on twin pontoons which not only supported the engine, pump, compressor, classifier and riffle box, but also my partner who kept the riffle box clear. The underwater operator used a hookah and wore a heavy duty wet suit with boots and gloves. We also used lights to see clearly in deep holes.
There were a number of critical factors in running a dredge efficiently. To avoid blockages the intake had a slightly smaller diameter than the hose, as flat stones could turn in the hose and block. The riffle box needed to be as close to the water as possible as material would lift with ease even from some depth underwater but not above the waterline. (Some riffle boxes were actually designed to run submerged) The level of the riffle box was most important as a good flow was needed to keep the box clear, but too much angle would result in loss of fine gold. A rubber flap was used to break surface tension, stopping fine gold from floating, and directing it downward.
We only ever worked stream beds, not eating into the banks, and by doing so created no more damage than a light flood would do. By the time the water had flowed down stream about a kilometer is was as clear as upstream from our work.

aussiefarmer said:
Care to elaborate more :) is it happening regularly? Have you seen them and the equipment?
Yeah crooks are there full time silting the whole creek up even using and digger i have informed earth resources there hopeless :( there are digging into the banks as well it ain't a small set up and there working at night !!!

Im from nsw and the rangers here usually follow up serious claims , but some amount of evidence would be nessecary , with out being obvious and endangering yourself , photos , number plates or a record of their movements would help them take your claims seriously.

A single photo that proves beyond doubt it is dredging and not sluicing or high banking would be key to getting any response from any authority in my opinion.

If you see them at night Call the police report illegal activity then next day ring the rangers and earth resources and report it to them and tell them that you called the police and also that you called a current affair due to their inaction of an illegal activity that is destroying the river system
That tends to motivate them to do the right thing and to do the job they are paid to do

Latest posts