Portable Toilet Additives?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieChris

Checks in from time to time.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, bit of an odd one here but I figured I would ask your advice. I grabbed a fancy new throne for camping (mostly for the girls really) and was wondering what additives you use? I see Supercheap Auto sells a range and they also have a fast break down toilet paper (should I get that stuff?). I have also read so folks like to save a few dollars and just mix their own from generic supermarket cleaning products like borax, pinoclean and cheapo napisan? Do you guys have a preferred brand? are DIY mixes ok to use?

1506394360_throne.jpg

I only ever use Biomagic, unlike the chemicals, it breaks down solid waste. The chemicals only mask the smell and in my book, stink......

However, the toilet needs to be used for No 1s and No 2s, pee only will smell as the biolytic has nothing to work with....

As for the paper aspect, when I had one of these (I soon got rid of it!) I found the paper was best placed into a container/bucket and buried quickly thereafter. If your in dry regions where there is little rainfall, dig a hole, burn it and then cover once burnt or it won't break down. Biodegradable tissue is the go.

Be prepared for a lot of (smelly) work when it comes to cleaning these things out - and you have to empty them at approved sewage waste points or do it at home. If your only using it for the odd weekend camp trip then it won't be such a chore. On the other hand, if your heading out for a month or more it quickly becomes a painful chore.

I ended up getting a Jimmys http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JIMMYS-T...OOR-CAMP-CAMPING-NEW-JIMMYS-RAW-/301022804816 they have gone up a fair bit in price since I got mine many years ago.

Use them in conjunction with biodegradable bags and your set. No need to dig massive holes (you still need a hole), and if your in a dry area, you can just seal off the bag until you reach a suitable disposal point. Any bag can be used provided it is biodegradable.

Haha yeah I did see those Thunderboxes! and they looked great. Initially I just wanted to grab something a bit more comfortable for the missus than a hole in the ground or a fork in a bit of deadfall lol. It won't be for extended periods, 5 or 6 days next week hopefully and as many weekends over the warmer months as I can swing it, and yeah it looks pretty nasty to clean! At least the one I purchased has a swinging spout and we do have a waste point nearby, my call of "Shotty Not!" so far has fallen on deaf ears.

I've used the "pota potti" things now for about 5 years, and here's what I've learnt so far ;)

1/ No name "napisan" works well IF you use it the right way, we put about 2 cap fulls into the holding tank before it gets used then another cap full EVERY DAY untill you have to empty it. Used properly there is very little smell, just a brown bio-degraded liquid

2/ Toilet paper test, 3/4 fill a small jar with water, tear up some toilet paper and add it to the water, put the lid on tightly and let it stand for about 30 minutes then give it a good shake, if it starts to break up it's ok to use in your dunny.

3/A lot of places are now banning camping/caravanning if you are not self contained

After you've emptied it 6 or 8 times you get used to it :p :p :)

I use these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Walex-Porta-Pak-Express-Lavender-15-pack/394067
Also add coles laundry booster https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-nsw-metro-west-ryde/product/coles-soaker-oxy-booster-advanced
You don't need anything in the top flushing tank, but can get scented ones if you prefer.
Those lavender ones are already pretty strong.
If you have the oxy action stuff in there it breaks down to just liquid after a week from last use, so you can just tip it down the toilet at home.

Latest posts