How DEEP is yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,there is a lot of talk and heated debate around the forums regarding which is the best VLF detector for searching larger nuggets and relics so I am interested in starting a bit of a competition based on a standard drink can (flattened) test.Everyone has come across them lying on the ground in goldfields,usually flattened. If you come across one do a simple test and post your results here with the make and model of your detector.A MXT/Impact/ Racer 2/F75 type comparison is what I was thinking of and running at 14 to 20 Khz. and gain set at default setting. However the drink can has to be flattened and not standing up on its end, and the test done in air and not buried.
I am getting the ball rolling by including my results- Nokta Impact, all metal mode 12 to 15 inches,loud to good signal. DEEP mode 24 to 27 inches,loud to good signal,not faint. Gain setting 70 percent. Ground mineralisation- high. Using earphones and a 11x7 inch coil.

The LF machines like Gold Bug 2 and Racer Gold will probably not match these depths and mineralisation levels but you can include them in the LF division if you wish and based on a smaller one dollar coin.
Regards,Rob.

Can you define a 'standard' drink can please.

Like it used to be 375ml now some bastard companies are trying to make 345ml standard.

Then there's wide mouth, big gulp or the normal little type hole. There's the ring pull and the funny little one that you lift and as you do it pushes the other bit down. Incidentally, that one can be a real bugger if you chew your nails down to far.

Remember that lot with the little buttons you pushed in? They were standard back in the mid to late 70's I think. I also think they banned them because too many kids got their fingers stuck in the hole. When I was about 12 I got my tongue caught in one and my eldest brother Tony near sliced off the tip of his nose! What the hell he was thinking sticking his nose in the can hole he never explained.....idiot!

Now is there a standard type of flat?

Often you'll find them flat long ways. Or there's flat onto itself. You know the type of flat where you stand it upright and stamp on it and it concertinas end to end, and you do that happy little fist pump into the air and silently yell "YES!! HE SCORES!!" But maybe that's just me, you might silently yell something else and that's fine too.

A word of caution though that you might like to edit your above post and include a warning not stamp on one if it has any drink left in it.

I did that once on a Fanta can and it went all up my leg. That whole afternoon I was getting pounded by ants and had to walk around uncomfortably with a sticky sock. It wasn't detecting though, it was shopping with mum when I was about 9. She slapped me in front of everybody in the main street of Bathurst. I cried.

Now is there a standard way to flatten them?
You often see them on the road super flat. I'd imagine being run over by a car or a bus or a road train will produce varying degrees of flatness.
Then there's the above foot crush, no way will they be as flat as one being scrunched by a B double.

I think it was the movie 'Animal house' or it might have been 'Porky's' where that dude crushes beer cans on his forehead. Can we crush cans like that and submit a valid test result?

I mean I went to school with a kid who suffered from hydrocephalus, poor bastard. He was a good kid but man he had a massive head! He would have a distinct advantage when crushing a can with his noggin.
Like no way in a can crushing contest would it be fair to put Neville the kid I went to school with who suffered from hydrocephalus up against for example that pin head dude off the Youi ads on tv.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts for you to ponder. I really want to have a crack at this as I know where there's a can. I just hope it's suitable. :Y:

Madtuna. No idea what size,it was lying near the edge of a surfaced area.It looked more like steel without rust and not alum and looked old-no markings or faint ones.Maybe 30 years old for all I know.It was not squashed fully but someone had trod on it..Maybe a roo landed on top of it.Prospectors prefer beer so it may have been an old beer can. Saw more glass beer bottles than cans.I know I prefer to buy them at Aldi a lot cheaper than metal cans from say Coles.Only prospectors should respect the diggings and take them home as also being unsightly someone could step on one and twist their ankle. I wouldn't worry about the can too much just step on it and fire away.
Thanks for sharing with us your hilarious experiences with drink cans as a boy.My worst experience was as a 7 y.o boy was going for a walk with my parents and stepping on a dead or sleeping crocodile just outside of Cairns which I thought was a log.

She slapped me in front of everybody in the main street of Bathurst. I cried.
She shoulda flogged ya good n propper madtuna ,..... not enough floggings in the world to make a real difference hey ,.... not like in the real old days lol ,.... and I almost missed out completely on them, got way more at school than at home (the headmaster musta loved me ]:D )
:lol:
if they'd a only given him access to a stockwhip ,... he'd a used it on me ! :Y:

One of Many,

1506411171_crushed-can-amyc0j.jpg

Some pics of beer cans in Belarus. I always drink Baltika when over there.
1506555245_7ka_1l-e1459881971707.jpg
It is made in Russia and is the second best selling beer in Europe.There is also one of Golden Goose,a Czech beer.
1506555349_gus_dry_got_1l.jpg
These are one litre cans,1000 ml.

madtuna said:
I think it was the movie 'Animal house' or it might have been 'Porky's' where that dude crushes beer cans on his forehead. Can we crush cans like that and submit a valid test result?
It was Pluto (John Belushi) in Animal House - Best movie I ever watched. I reckon that he did those cans like a B double :lol:

Why would you want the gain set at default? Wouldn't the aim be to get the maximum test depth? I'll humour the strange request with results but I'm not sure what it will prove.

I've dug some deep holes when I had alot less time on the machine as a flattened drink can ring up similar to gold coins. Simply pinpointing the surface area of the target will determine if it's a coin or can.

Air tests don't really mean much, ignoring ground conditions means a very +/- depth indication.

When it's wet in mild clay I can get a signal that will go a lot deeper than an air test, equally detecting hot dry ground that is highly mineralised will take depth away, The variation is pretty extradinary being many fold different on a coin size object.

I'll get the tests done before I go for a swing today, I can almost certainly assure you whatever the air test is on a dollar coin with standard gain it won't be the maximum depth I've detected them, but I'll put some oxygen in a shriveled baloon.

OldGT said:
Why would you want the gain set at default? Wouldn't the aim be to get the maximum test depth? I'll humour the strange request with results but I'm not sure what it will prove.

I've dug some deep holes when I had alot less time on the machine as a flattened drink can ring up similar to gold coins. Simply pinpointing the surface area of the target will determine if it's a coin or can.

Air tests don't really mean much, ignoring ground conditions means a very +/- depth indication.

When it's wet in mild clay I can get a signal that will go a lot deeper than an air test, equally detecting hot dry ground that is highly mineralised will take depth away, The variation is pretty extradinary being many fold different on a coin size object.

I'll get the tests done before I go for a swing today, I can almost certainly assure you whatever the air test is on a dollar coin with standard gain it won't be the maximum depth I've detected them, but I'll put some oxygen in a shriveled baloon.

Well I just discovered a formula that you can use once you do an Air Test,

I did his Air test, Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

J.

OldGT. I have default settings for every mode already programed in.Only reason I would increase gain is to try for more depth like in a park where mineralisation is low.Very high mineralisation means gain has to be set lower on goldfields or you would get false signals and it wont run quiet. .My default is 70/100.
As I have 3 frequencies I would probably get more distance at 5 Khz or 14 Khz as compared to 20Khz.

I was having a detect today and someone left an empty Woodstock bourbon can on the oval, I stomped on it and flattened it out and the CTX picked it up from at least a metre, I'll video it if no one believes me but easy peasy one metre. Settings were high trash, deep off, fast on, auto sensitivity set to +2.

Not surprised Heatho.

So the stock F75 results are in. (Non Ltd or boost you know before they made the F75 cool and DEEPER)
Full factory reset (Bah!) All metal mode, running through speaker (headphones will give you better return from my experience ) last discerning signal at 31cm for $1 coin and 81 cm for Dr Pepper can stomped flat. You can get further but the limits are set at clear tonal engagement of detector in two way swing...no scratchy tones. Pics.
1506933411_img_20171002_193253.jpg

$1 coin Bench air test.
1506933457_img_20171002_193328.jpg

Can Bench air test.

Now....drumroll please....Take it away Rob....lol.

Latest posts