1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prado Bull bar is almost ready for fitting, just need to find 2 lights of the right size to fit in the lower front and later once its mounted, attach the spot lights under the centre loop.
Can any one suggest something I can use on the alloy loops to clean and shine them ?
1506155408_prado_bull_bar.jpg

If your holes don't line up make sure you alter the bull bar as opposed to the chassis rails. Supercheap sell a generic recovery point that fits and they include high tensile bolts, not expensive and rated, the prado is the only vehicle factory fitted with recovery points but they only provided one (the twisted hooked one) . Also avoid welding on the vehicle alter the bull bar to suit. Bull bars are as rare as ...... well gold. Ken.

ken2m said:
If your holes don't line up make sure you alter the bull bar as opposed to the chassis rails. Supercheap sell a generic recovery point that fits and they include high tensile bolts, not expensive and rated, the prado is the only vehicle factory fitted with recovery points but they only provided one (the twisted hooked one) . Also avoid welding on the vehicle alter the bull bar to suit. Bull bars are as rare as ...... well gold. Ken.
Thanks Ken
I only needed to drill one 13mm hole in each chassis rail to make the bull bar fit perfectly.All the other existing bolt holes match up. I have 2 recovery hooks . one for each of the chassis rails and they also align with the bull bar brackets and fit together with out any need for modifying anything.
The puzzle for me now is , if later I wanted to add a winch, where do I bolt the winch cradle.. I think I have a way to do it worked out but I may need to get one made up or modify a commercial one that fits/sits between the chassis rails..
TBH, I am enjoying the challenge of doing all this work..

I had a hell of a time finding the bar blinker/ parker units to fit my SR5 standard bullbar so i just ended up blanking them out with a couple of galvanized plates i found at bunnings and then bought some light expanded mesh ( about $30 at supacheap auto , used the rest for sluice mesh ;) :lol: ) that is sold to cover in radiator / intercooler vent at the front of cars .

i put the galvanised plates ( sprayed black ) behind the mesh and then bolted them in .

As the Hilux has blinkers parkers in the quarter panels that do the job i decided i didnt really need them in the bullbar also .

I rolled up the wire ends and bagged / waterproofed them and tucked them back up inside the guards , so if i do find some blinker units i can reinstall them at a later date , but am happy enough with the cutouts just blanked out.

The other option i was thinking of was to fit fog or square driving lights into those cutouts but would have to enlarge the cutouts to suit whatever lights i decided to go with.

I have the same issue Dirtdemon
The bull bar has 2 old lights set in cut outs and both are useless and need to be replaced . The problem is finding lights the right size that fit the cut outs and serve a useful purpose...another puzzle to figure out :/

Slow progress with the two projects, camper and Prado. :(
But I will get there eventually ;)
Yesterday. I finished painting the bull bar , I also bought metal polish from bunnings and gave the bull bar a good coating today.

Painted the back of the loops over the head lights black , to cut back on reflecting the head light beam back into my eyes whilst driving.
Back view.
1506307996_22047504_10210086975595405_289597185_o.jpg

Front side view.
Still need to polish it more and find two light units to mount in the lower cut outs..
1506308209_22015626_10210086978035466_575202690_o.jpg

Next is to get the draw bar on the camper sorted out.
It needs a few things done.
1) Measure and order the tool box.
2) Change the "Jockey wheel"
3)Figure our how and where I could mount a spare tyre(or 2) to the draw bar and if I still have room, where to mount a 4.5kg gas bottle holder.

1506309017_22015512_10210086986115668_1303364855_o.jpg

1506309092_22015329_10210087000396025_1429337963_o.jpg

After reading Balmain Bob's post and seeing the picture of his blown out tyre last night, it got me thinking.
I have a spare Prado sitting here with 5 good rims and tires on it.
Maybe I should take the rims and tyres off that and exchange them with the wheels on my camper.
That way I have the same rims on my camper and the Prado, as well as an extra 4 Prado rims as back up spares on any long trips.
Giving me total of 10 interchangeable wheels..
:Y:

I am in the process of matching my Pajero wheels onto a trailer... In my case I need to change to a custom made axle, hubs to Landcruiser(6 stud)and as well as bearings to Landcruiser... I don't want holden or ford bearings cause they will only give me trouble running 16" wheels.... What size wheels and tyres do you intend to run on yours?

You may need to go down the same track as me to get it right.... :)

LW...

LoneWolf said:
I am in the process of matching my Pajero wheels onto a trailer... In my case I need to change to a custom made axle, hubs to Landcruiser(6 stud)and as well as bearings to Landcruiser... I don't want holden or ford bearings cause they will only give me trouble running 16" wheels.... What size wheels and tyres do you intend to run on yours?

You may need to go down the same track as me to get it right.... :)

LW...
These are the wheels on it now. They have the same stud pattern as my Prado wheels. So I hope I can just switch them out..
1506323335_camper_rims_old.jpg

Problem at the moment is, I can only take the spare off the one I have for parts and use that .
But later, before I send the spare parts Prado to the scrap yard, I will take off the other 4 wheels. :Y:

The Bull Bar is not rated to have a winch. :(
All of the bracketing is not built for one.
I will do some digging for you for the lights as I have
seen replacement lights for the cut outs
My Prado has had one replaced and it is slightly different to the other one
and it is broken thanks to a Roo hit.
With the scrap Prado, Interested in selling the clock out of it. ?
Mine has a small part missing.
Doug

Tathradj said:
The Bull Bar is not rated to have a winch. :(
All of the bracketing is not built for one.
I will do some digging for you for the lights as I have
seen replacement lights for the cut outs
My Prado has had one replaced and it is slightly different to the other one
and it is broken thanks to a Roo hit.
With the scrap Prado, Interested in selling the clock out of it. ?
Mine has a small part missing.
Doug
No problem Doug, I will pull the clock out tomorrow and keep it aside for you. Have heaps of parts if you or any one else needs something.

With the lights I don't have a clue .. will probably start looking on fleabay for something that will fit, if not the mates also asking around with his trade contacts for something that will fit/work.
If I ever do put a winch in (flush with cash :D ), I will be mounting it on a cradle behind the bull bar and attaching it directly on to both chassis rails. It will not be attached to the bull bar, just the winch rope/strap will pass through the aperture cut into the bull bar. :Y:

The cut out on my bull bar is 160 x 50 mm so I might need to trim (3mm x 5mm) from the cut out, to make them fit.
The screw holes on the bar and the lights are exactly the same at 208.5mm :eek:
Shouldn't have much problem cutting the space bigger. I also have some rubber trim that I can use to make it fit snug and look good :cool:
Bought these , $29.95 with free delivery - ETD 28 Sep - Wed, 04 Oct.
1506344511_s-l1600.jpg

Good One. :)
I was going to get you a set to swap for the clock. :(
You going to the bash at all. ?

Latest posts